Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You’re just going around in circles and you’re not actually reading what I’m saying and attributing things to me that I never said. What I said was that they’ve been watched like a hawk and are jumping through hoops to get the funding and that’s the only reason why they’ve been modernising their committees etc., and even then Hill still gets caught out and has to give the money back with a ludicrous explanation attached re a joke that was misunderstood. You can stop repeating yourself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

The potential of Keane as Ireland manager is so f*cking depressing.

I'd happily have O'Shea over Keane.

No, just, please God no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yet we've been competitive in qualifying as recently as the last campaign pre-Kenny.

We've always gotten by with draws against the better teams and taking care of the lower seeds.

We've never had "regular" wins against big teams. Under MON we beat we probably had our best patch in living memory with wins against Austria, Wales, Bosnia, Germany and Italy.

Before that? the Estonia play-off (a stretch). Maybe beating Wales and Slovakia in euro 2008 qualifying?

Then we're probably talking about the Big Dutch game of 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yeah i agree probably were more competitive in those years before Kenny. Kenny's tactics and a squad in transition led to them being less competitive. My main point was people stating that we need to get back to winning games and i merely wanted to point out that we generally don't win games, and on average win less than 50% of our games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We just need to get back to being competitive, and bringing groups down to the final series of games with a shout of qualifying.

Our performance in the Nations League needs to improve most immediately - we can’t really have excuses about the quality of opponents there.

We definitely need to get back to winning games against the lower seeds more regularly.

We can't be drawing with Ajaers at home, losing to Luxembourg etc. Greece was a tough one for the seeding but we have to do better than two bang average losses there especially when we just see Georgia get the better of them.

I'd agree that any success we have is usually predicated on keeping the losses to a minimum rather than the wins to a max.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Don't take from that article that Keane is getting the job. It's just a filler article like most of them. These have been driving a sense of panic around appointing the new manager when in fact there deal is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Our best players are Ferguson, Ogbene, Kelleher (if he moves to become a regular starter) and then 5 center backs. For Ireland defence first is our best hope at success. Stop conceding has to be the priority.

Surely by now after all the Kenny years people have copped progressive possession first style just ain't the style for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yeah agreed but i do think the numbers and stats over the years change depending if you have a 5 or a 6 team group. Like the last Euros group you only end up with one team that you "should be beating" and then end up with 2 better than you and one of a similarish standard.

We do need to find a way to be better against the so called weaker nations. A better balance and a different manager may be able to get the balance right compared to what Kenny did. The 352/343 or what ever you want to call it against the smaller nations didnt make sense, but it does seem to work against the better nations. I think we will need two formations going forward and thats what Kenny lacked, the ability to change. Hopefully whoever the new man in can get that balance right. Our best players are our centre backs so against the better teams i would want as many of them on the pitch as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Agree that we need two formations. No need to be playing 3 CBs against lesser nations.

I think Smodzics is going to be very important player for us in the next campaign. He has the creative spark that can see and pull off of a pass that will move the play into the final third.

Although it was caught for offside, against the swiss he played and excellent pass on a quick turn down the right wing to put someone (can't remmeber to who) into space heading towards goal. We've been missing someone like that for years now; a number 10 that can sit in between the centre circle and their penalty area and deliever quality passes. Someone like Wes Hoolihan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm surprised at this Keane talk. He would be box-office but can't see him succeed. The only positive for him is that he is following the most inept manager we've ever had so it's not like he is following a Ferguson or a Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Maybe not but almost on a par...especially looking at his win ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Mixed feelings with Keane. You'd imagine he'd have us somewhat organised and would be great for the young lads to learn off and develop their mentality, but feels like he's too long out of the game to be tactically creative against opposition.

I don't read that article as saying Keane has the job lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

What contractual issues would there have been that would have meant Keane couldnt have taken these internationals. I'd imagine its Poyet, thats they hold up, but they were floating O'Shea as a possibility in case Greece qualified...

On the playing front, we just never look like scoring at the moment..even from set pieces which should be the priority for a team like us.

God I miss the days of Robbie Keane and Damien Duff

Poyet would be interesting, I’d be very open minded about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Why? His record with Greece is patchy at best. He lost competitive games to Cyprus and a play off final to Georgia. Along with draws to Malta and Lithuania in friendlies. Plus he's fallen out with every one of his recent employers. If it's Poyet we're in for a rocky 2 years at best before the FAI sack him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭bren2001

He lost to Cyprus but he also topped that Nations League with 5 wins out of 6. The stats show that they pretty much dominated the game. They had also pretty much won the group at that point. Tblisi is a tough place to go. They lost on penalties, it happens. Georgia are a difficult team to play against.

Friendly losses to Malta and Lithuania. Who cares? They're friendlies.

I really don't understand the Poyet bashing. Every name that pops up is slapped down in every forum. Poyet is a fine pick and he has a decent group of players at Ireland to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Greece were playing in the third tier of the nations league in a group with Kosovo, NI and Cyprus. They were favourites to top that group.

The double standards are amazing. If Kenny had lost a Euro playoff final in Tbilisi, people would be baying for blood on here. Poyet does it and let's give him the Ireland job.

Poyet is not a good option. If that's the best we can do give it JOS or get Duff in. They may not be successful but at least there's a chance they'd galvanise our mediocre pick of players and get them playing above themselves. Poyet is guaranteed to fall out with everyone around him.

The King is dead man, we’re going to need a new King!

Poyet smashed us twice, completely out thought and out fought us. If Kenny had gotten to a playoff game…well it would have been a time warp. Who knows how people would have treated a loss on penalties!

I don’t criticise Kenny for losing to Slovakia on penos. A one off game, **** happens. I wouldn’t criticise Poyet for losing to Georgia on penos. **** happens. I didn’t mention Kenny’s where’s the double standard?

Poyet is a bang average manager. He’s perfectly acceptable for Ireland. He’s a better choice than JOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is h though. Would Greece not have been expected to qualify. They won it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

no, this team were not expected to qualify. They were 4th seeds in their group. Poyet’s had a very sketchy record across his career - but his time with Greece has been an overachievement.

• Advertisement

In a group with France and the Netherlands. Pot 4 team. Hardly expect them to get out of the group.

They walked their Nations League. Walked their SF in the play offs and lost on penalties to Georgia in Georgia. Crazy stick to beat him with imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They won it in 2004. them players are in their 40s and 50s now so they were probably not expected to qualify.

I think they were favourites to beat Georgia which would have qualified them even though Georgia have improved and were at home which kind of puts into perspective your perhaps rash and a little haughty retort to the other poster there.

They were favourites in that match, while also not being expected to qualify at the start of Poyet's role. Given that we're discussing Poyet's suitability for our job, how he did overall feels more important than one game against a pretty decent side (where they did still keep a clean sheet, and hit the crossbar).

I wasn't trying to be 'haughty', apologies to anyone if that's how it read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Their nations league group was pretty dire in fairness. It's only because of a technicality Ireland were not in league c by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Greece weren't expected to qualify and they didn't qualify. Not someone I would get particularly excited about, but there's no one else available who would be exciting. I'd be worry about his inability to develop good working relationships though.

Is beating us twice and losing a play off on penos not better than getting beat twice and not getting to a play off?

Not that I'd be inspired by Poyet either, but takes some mental gymnastics to claim double standards

Favourites in that match that would have qualified them if they had won it. Who says “they weren’t expected to qualify at the start of Poyet’s role” other than you that is? It’s a tournament that Georgia and Albania qualified for, countries that Greece and Ireland for that matter would normally get the better of in a head to head match up I would say? Perhaps the Greece fans or football media opinion may differ from yours which is just your opinion after all.

They were 4th seeds, and were in the Nations League Division C. By default that means they were considered outsiders. Georgia and Albania were also considered outsiders, and both did brilliant jobs upsetting the odds. Greece did well to get as close as they did, but just didn't quite get there in the end by the tightest of margins.

I don't think anyone is saying Poyet is incredible or anything, but in fairness to the chap he's done a good job with Greece (as we experienced first hand unfortunately).

Poyet sounds like a Uruguayan managerial version of Roy Keane. Why not just appoint Roy Keane to work with JOS and Kerr if that’s the case?

Also if Greece won on penalties would it be Sagnol’s name that would be heavily linked today as opposed to Poyet? I don’t think anyone has a clue what’s going on least of all the FAI and I think they’ll just extend JOS and Brian Kerr tenure for another while. If they’re going to do that they should just appoint them with a proper contract.

Sagnol's name probably would've been in the papers more alright, purely because of the vacuum of information. We don't know who it is the FAI claim to have gained agreement with, so whatever names appear to be plausible will be the ones that get coverage.

It would seem the one chap the FAI can't appoint is O'Shea though, as that would suggest they were lying - or at best hugely over-egging - with their earlier assurances of having someone tied up and ready to be announced. Only a few more days until we get the big reveal anyway! Kinda exciting!

Ah yeah. NI, Kosovo and Cyprus are hardly world beaters and you’d expect Greece to top that group.

It’s not because of a technicality we are not in League C. That technicality was a long time ago. We’ve survived relegation twice since.

Well I call it a technically because I think we'd have struggled to get out of league c

Because Roy Keane hasn’t managed in 10 years. Gus Poyet is at least current. He’s also cheaper. Much cheaper.

I’d happily take Sangol. Has a decent CV, I’d prefer him over Poyet myself but I think Poyet is fine if it is him. I don’t understand the negativity.

Then you should be impressed by Poyet heroics. Can’t have it both ways.

League C is pretty poor and we woulda been top seeds. I’d be stunned if we struggled.

Either way, when you survive two League Bs. It’s not a technicality anymore. Were there on merit.

• Advertisement

John O Shea is Staunton mark 2. Hope he doesn't get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Kenny managed teams for years, O Shea is just a coach.

I know I can’t wait lol.

By the way if it’s O’Shea the FAI will just brush it off with “circumstances have changed and we’ve been very impressed with John and Brian and believe that we’ve got our management team etc etc.” They’ll get over any suggestion of over egging things a month ago.

If it’s Poyet will get behind him of course and he does have a decent senior management CV with plenty of experience to fall back on at international level management as well, so of the realistic candidates he’s got better credentials than most.

Has he been at loggerheads with the Greek FA though? Maybe he had good reason but the relationship there didn’t seem great? Might not necessarily be a bad thing but he could be hard work for the FAI blazers to be dealing with. If it’s him.

Hea been at loggerheads with most of his employers

yeah, he appears to fall out with everyone. Obviously I’d prefer a manager who didn’t but this isn’t club management where the day to day stuff is important. It’s international, I think it’s far less of an issue than people make out.

2 year contract and see what happens seems fine to me.
    I’ll get behind any manager and give them a chance even if I don’t think they’re good enough eg Kenny.

Results on the pitch matter. What happens between him and the FAI, I couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

How could you not fall out with the FAI though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Because Keane hasn't managed in 10 years and all JOS has done is coachunder managers who have been sacked for being considered useless. Hardly a great CV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement