Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

yeah, was looking at those apartment plans. They actually look nice enough. The house in Asgard should be far enough away not to be impacted by it unduly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Friend of mine bought this 2 bedrooms house not in great condition really old needs all done but she is adding extra 2 bedrooms downstairs. So she got a builder to do all this work for 115 k. Out of 115k 13k is Vat only. So basically all this work for 100k. May I add this is in Dublin. So the whole house renovated upstairs and downstairs and add extra 2 bedrooms and one bathroom all in 100k.

I am scratching my head here as not sure how is this possible.

Also may I add she doesn't have a big garden so in this small garden plus what is downstairs (not a big house!!) he manages 2 more bedrooms and one bathroom.

He also promised to deliver the whole project in 2 months! One payment on 3rd of April and next payment in a month but promised he has 70% done by second payment.

Is there something I am missing or does it sound too good to be true?

Living the life

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Time, cost and payment schedule all sound dodgy to me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Sounds very dodgy. You seem to be questioning how they will fit it all in. Is there drawings done or is the guy saying I will do this. Normally he few k just to draw up plans and cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

So he wants 30% up front and the other 70% a month later?

Money when work done.…...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

I wouldn’t jump to dodgy conclusions so quick, it really is down to the extent of the work.
    A simple 20sq metre single story extension split into 2 bedrooms isn’t a hard or complicated build and with simple flooring and electrics it’s 2500 a sq metre which I would say is expensive.

The devil is in the detail so without drawings or scope of change to existing dwelling it’s hard to answer the question.

Sorry for late reply. Yes sounds dodgy to me too. It is not myself who got this quote but my friend. To make it worse, she doesn't live in Dublin but in Dubai. Bought this house that needs complete doing up but also wants to add the extra 2 bedrooms and bathroom downstairs. The quote I put above is the building guy who she is going ahead. Bare in mind, she is not even here to supervise or anything and her parents who are older live in Laois. I don't see this going well.

Living the life

She forwarded me his details and I didn't see any drawings at all.

Living the life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any update on progress?

Work started and/or completed, or has he vanished with the 30% never to be seen again.

If has worked out, would you be willing to share his details via PM?

Hoping to get some work done in next 6-12 months, but currently being put off even getting quotes by all the crazy numbers being thrown around online.

Funny enough the work is on track. Nope he didn't vanish with the money.

I can ask her for the builder details if you want.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm currently in the process of looking to get a small extension done on the house. The extension is 2.5m x 2.5m single story and is simply pushing the double back doors out to meet the end of the kitchen and knock the wall so it creates and open space. No planning permission required. This will require an RSJ. Roofing over the extension will also be required to match what's over the kitchen area.

In terms of finish, I will be looking to add a radiator, some light fixtures, flooring (Have enough spare floor boards from when the initial floor went down).

Can anybody give any indication of what something like that will cost? I genuinely haven't a clue if I am looking at 20k, 30k, 40k etc.?

Post edited by All_in_Flynn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That is a very small extension so is going to be very expensive - I'd guess in the €20-30k range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ye it's a fairly new house as it is (5 years old). We just want to push the back doors out to meet with the back end of the kitchen. That allows us then to change the kitchen etc and actually makes a big difference given the actual sq. metre size increase.

Can I just ask why is a small extension expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How much profit are builders making these days? Lets say 2 bedrooms. 1 bathroom. No significant structural work. 35sqm. Im seeing quotes of 110k for this. To me thats mental. Given inflation etc is there a bit of greed involved too?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭happyplants

If anyone wants a giggle I've just had bids come back on 70sqm extension and new heat pump system for existing as well as moving a bathroom in the existing - one was just under a million and the other 700k. Obviously its not getting done.

You'll be waiting for a downturn to happen to get that done. I'm betting when the **** does hit the fan you will comfortably get it done for 120k.

Very hard to have sympathy for builders and tradesmen when things do go tits up and that is no work.

That is utter insane. But definitely wait, it may go down sooner rather than you think

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭theboringfox

That seems insane. We had qoute for extension in 2022 that was c. 350k to add 90sqm extension to semiD via two storey side extension and single story to back. Fully modernise existing house too. Allowing for moving out for nearly a year and no fixed price contract we went the trade up route. We got way more value I feel in sense same size house now but detached and way bigger grounds and whilst not fully modernised still modern enough. We now have way bigger garden and would have been left with postage stamp site. I just cant figure out how all these extensions are starting near us and given cost of extensions cant figure out how the prices for doer upper semi Ds are still so strong!

I think it's a bit of an echo chamber in here though. I fully accept that people are getting silly quotes for stuff but I don't think it's the norm. That's back up by the amount of extensions currently being done. There is no way people are playing half a million for bog standard box extension. I'd be surprised if they are paying anywhere close to 200k for them. It's best to have a word around locally and try to suss it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agreed.
    Next door neighbour did 20m2 out the back of his open plan kitchen.

High quality work but nothing fancy. Poor access, little side gate only.

Block inner leaf with plastered block, pitched roof. 1 new window, new sliding door. I'd say one new rad. Flooring included but no painting.

50K plus VAT.

I see some people I'd know going direct labour now. It takes a fair bit longer to get things done and I'd say it's stressful enough. But if you are saving six figures then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greycan

We're looking to get a bedroom over our kitchen and have no idea how much it could possibly cost.

The house is a two storey mid terrace with the kitchen in an extension to the rear. The extension was built before we bought the house. The bedroom would be approx 20 square metres.

It's a basic box we would be putting on, with one radiator and basic wiring for lights, sockets. There's no plumbing required other than the rad.

The only access is through the house but I know our neighbours would allow us access through their garden and over the wall.

Anyone any ballpark idea of how much this could cost?

Not sure but don't put a bedroom on without an ensuite is my advice.

Ah there's only three of us in the house and two bathrooms so I don't think we need one. But I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

The issue I see is you don't know what type of foundation your kitchen sits on, coui that foundation support an extension above? If not, so you need a proper foundation to hold the box you want build up so different costs.

Living the life

The kitchen is on a fairly thick concrete slab, you have to step down out of the kitchen into the garden, there's a drop of about a foot. But yeah that's definitely some.thing we will have to investigate.

I'd think you are ok with the foundation. It was more than likely dug down to where the original house foundation was. Any decent builder will be able to advise.

That's my gut feeling too. We're trying to decide if we should move or put on the extension. We like the location of the house but there are just a few annoying things that we want to sort if we decide to stay. But then again, we're not sure we could afford to move and stay in the area. Not that there's anywhere to buy that is!

We've come to the conclusion that it's probably going to be cheaper to put on the extension, add more value to the house, and that way we could look at moving in a few years time if the market calms down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭happyplants

Probably. I’m not doing something standard here, and that seems like an invitation to be silly but at least with broken down tenders on each one you can see the “piss take” area like the crowd who wanted 100k on preliminaries or the crowd who wanted 77k for a project supervisor role (12 week job) or (the best) the crowd who wanted 177k for the heat pump. The house setting would also make you think we have money to burn which doesn’t help, we just got lucky really.

Advertisement