Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Genotyping Programme - ICBF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was tagging a suckler calf this morning. A week old, mother very maternal. Got her out of the shed eventually. Caught calf, tagged him. Sample split so the needle part stayed in the tag. White bit still in taggers. Happens about 1 tag in every box and i get a vice grips to pull the bit out of the tag. Cow was doing jigs in the yard. No vice grip at outfarm or in jeep. Had to go home and get a vice grips. Torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ha the exact same thing happened me yesterday! The metal bar came out easily enough with a small vice grips, first time it ever happened to me anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Get a leatherman wave and keep it on you all the time. Can also be used for self defence if a maternal cow gets you on the ground.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I broke the first one, then ordered the white insert for yellow tagger from Mullinahone, the yellow insert isn't suitable for the latest BVD tissue samplers. It's way better, I prefer to load up the ngp(red) and bvd (blue) in separate taggers.

I have this on the bar beside me, for holding necessaries for tagging. Bought it some years ago, never used. One of the many things here that were a good idea at the time, except the calf didn't agree.

• Advertisement

I actually have 1 of those, well have more than 1 lying around. Never worked out here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I block the end with a nut and washer and use them for water for small pens of young calves.

Bought a pb Angus heifer before Christmas she was supposedly in calf to an ai bull calving in February. She calved today be interesting to see if the genotyping gives a sire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Lost a calf today :( whats the story with tagging them, do I still need to send off the samples?

• Advertisement

Came back as no sire, must have been a young bull got her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Neighbour of mine tagged 20 calves yesterday, he reckons he put half the samples into the wrong vial, DNA sample into BVD vial and BVD sample into DNA vial. Will this matter? I’m not in this scheme so don’t even know if it’s possible to do this?

They are all tissue samples, just send the blue vials to BVD lab and pink vials to the Geno crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah i know they’re both tissue samples. Is the only difference between both vials that there’s a liquid preservative in the DNA one but not in the BVD one? So if he’s mixed some of them up it won’t matter?

I've mixed them up and it's been ok

It should make no difference, I'm fairly sure the needle part only has the herd number in QR format. The bvds are done in batches, the dna has to be done individually, hence the preservative and delay in testing.

Just remembered I messed up the first dna tag this year with the old tagger, broke the plastic portion off the needle but managed to save the sample in the preservative, sealed it and stored it in the fridge.. I ordered a replacement test , a bvd one arrived, I just put the new needle portion into the pink vial with the piece of tissue and posted it off, got results back, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JD5000

Anyone else have any issues with results from the NGP? Have a heifer here with 2 copies of the F94L gene, thats all fine except the cow has only one copy of that gene and the Bull was CH4321 (Lapon) who has no copies, from anything ive read i didnt think that was possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sold a bull here yesterday and noticed that he was only 3% calving on cows. Now he was from Elite Lacette who is 6.7% and his mother is 3%. Now average of 3 and 6.7 is 4.9 so that's a fair reduction all coming from the genotyping. Of course it could have gone up also.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’m in this ngp and have 2 young cows not genotyped as we’re in another herd as heifers .. will they eventually send tissue tag or hair sample or do I need to contact them

• Advertisement

You'll have to contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’d been in ngp since Sept 23 and I moved these two into herd in November 23 as incalf heifers so that’s how they were missed , 18 a piece to do them now so I left it as have plenty eligible females without them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭limo_100

I see this is reopened anyone that joined it last year would you recommend it? Was thinking about joining just to save having to put the cattle in for the scep tags

I'd say the teething problems have been ironed out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I opted out last year ….will probably sign up for it for coming spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I'm happy with it. All done when tagging the calf so no wrestling with big calves during the summer when you'd usually get the tags for SCEP. Thing I like is I can double straw a cow when AI'ing which I do some of the time & I don't need to worry about Sire as it'll be corrected.

Also of you register a calf wrong, sex or dam they'll correct it without having to fill in a form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

This genotyping would have been handy for Paul Murphy TD when he was registering his newborn and he might have been able to figure out if Juniper was a boy or a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭limo_100

Was filling out the application and it asked for the credit card details how much does it cost? I know its not a big issue either way just wondering. I will join it seems like a good idea. Will they sent out a tag for all the spare tags I have left unused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I think you have to apply to your tag supplier for button sample tags for whatever ones you have remaining. Can't remember anything about CC details but I joined last year so I could have had the same.

Advertisement