Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Liam Turner is really having a cracking season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Unbelievable second half. As well as Leinster have played for a long while.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Haven't seen much of him, but he looks pretty handy. Works hard, runs good lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Really hope we take knockout part of URC seriously this year by picking strong team like this , would love to win it. For me it's league first Champions Cup second.

( Naturally I would love us to win Champions cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Good man ref

Time was not up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rob Russell has come on hugely this season. I think he's one of our more important players right now. His speed and acceleration means we have a genuine pace threat out wide so defences can't gamble with a narrower line.

He's also getting more familiar with the defensive system which is a huge plus. You need to be off the line quick and his obvious speed allows him to cut off the attack early.

He should start against Leicester next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

And the Bulls turned up and played. Right to the end.

It’s the workrate from Leinster thats as impressive as anything else.

Ulster and Connacht ashamed themselves last week by not even bothering to work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great result, best performance of the season.

I'm really glad we sent a strong side out for this game. Not only for the win against one of our major URC rivals, but also because it builds momentum for the Leicester game.

We beat a side that prides themselves on having a dominant pack and set piece. Never let them settle in attack and kept the ball alive to tire out their forwards. That'll bode well for next week's game against a team that's similar in some respect to the Bulls.

Not to get ahead of myself either, but there are some similarities between Leicester and La Rochelle too. At least as far as the sturdy pack and set piece goes. Beat Leicester and we go into the QF with the outline of an established plan. All about momentum now.

Post edited by Clegg on

Andy Dunne makes a good point about the power of Leinsters bench tonight. The starting 15 played well and should have been ahead at half time. But the front five subs came on and took the game away from the Bulls.

It gives us the opportunity to maybe mix and match the side a bit more and select 23's for impact rather than just selecting the strongest 15 to start every game. That's a chance to keep players fresher the further you get into knockout tournaments. It's a risk to do it, but one that should be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Andy Dunne is a class contributor. Compared to the utter gobshitedness of the match commentators, he's like a guru. Quinlan is so bad you could forget for a moment how annoying Ryle is.

What an incredibly enjoyable game. JGP is so far ahead of any other 9 in the country. Best 9 we've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Sheehan, VDF, Conan, Gibson Park, H Bryne, Osbourne, Larmour and Russell all excellent.

Best performance of the season. Really enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Thought Larmour and Russell were both very good today. I think Larmour will probably start on the right wing next weekend (assuming Keenan is fit), but I think Russell has played his way in to the 23 jersey now which I wouldn’t have expected at the start of the year. It was great to see Larmour playing with confidence again, feels like although he’s played better recently he lacked the explosiveness and X factor which was on show tonight.

Also a word on Harry Byrne - thought he was very good this evening as well. He does have a tendency to force it occasionally (like with the intercepted pass), but this is becoming increasingly less frequent the more big games he’s involved in. That’s La Rochelle, Leicester and now the Bulls who he’s played well against, which bodes well for his big game temperament.

I see Leicester squeaked a win against Newcastle after playing 100 minutes of rugby. They were also down to 13 men multiple times in the game.

You'd obviously get a morale boost for that kind of win, but it must fatigue you to jaysus to play that much rugby in one game. Not ideal preparation for next weekend.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

McGrath won't be getting this printed and framed in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Tender embrace.

It's harsh to criticicise McGrath, in my opinion. They were closing at high speed, and with Arendse you don't know what direction he's going to go in, so setting yourself right for the tackle isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

If this tackle was against Leinster or another irish side we would be calling for a red for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

A lot would, for sure. It was not the smartest tackle ever. Brave beyond any regard for either players safety. If Arendse had gone off concussed it might have been a red, there didn't seem to be any mitigation.

Jamie Osborne has to start at 12 next week. He's been so good since returning. Runs excellent lines and can offload brilliantly from contact. He partners Henshaw if the latter has passed his HIA.

Ringrose hasn't played since September essentially. Shouldn't be dropping him right back into the 15 even if he's fit.

• Advertisement

He's just a really classy player. His reading of the game is O'Driscollesque. His angles of running are really good; his timing is usually spot on; and his vision for putting others in space with a pass is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I don't think many would consider flying in completely upright at 5m from touch a good technique tho. If that was Owen Farrell??

Id only give Luke a pass in terms of usually tackling players so much bigger than himself and usually doesn't have to dip. Definitely yellow.

Didn't expect to wallop the Bulls after the first half battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

it’s 100% a red. We were very fortunate Evan’s didn’t agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

For once , him being a terrible ref worked in our favor

Nah. Arendse choosing to try to bump him and it being questionable whether there was high force in the head contact* is enough mitigation.

*McGrath being dazed afterwards could be due to the whiplash effect of stopping suddenly more than the actual head contact

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d not have batted an eye lid if mc Grath saw red. Probably just enough mitigation to go yellow but it was a hairy move from him

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Happyhouse22

very very likely. Unlike last year the URC knockouts start after the champions cup is over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just saw Luke's attempt at a tackle. I thought he was lucky not to see red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The initial point of contact was on KLAs shoulder. There was also the minor change in direction from KLA at the last second.

It was not direct head on head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Advertisement