Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I expand my Google map of Ireland on my laptop anymore? The + and - are gone from map???

• 29-03-2024 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hello all

Overnight my Google map of Ireland has changed. The + and - for expanding and zooming in and out are gone. Also gone is the Street View function and topographical function.

What's going on I wonder?

I'm not a techno wizard, so keep it simple please.😐️

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Peterbilt

No can do, unfortunately. My mobile is a Nokia 6310i from 2003! Cutting edge tech back then, but no camera or screenshots.

Basically, when I put 'Google map Ireland' in search box it gives me Google map of Ireland and part of UK as normal, but the + and - for zooming in and out, which were always positioned down on the bottom right side of the map, are now absent. When I cursor on the map or click on it nothing happens. Also, the tiles on the left side of the map for clicking on to bring up Street View and Topographical View are missing also. I tried same on my old Samsung laptop, as well as the Lenovo, but it's the same, so it's not the laptop settings. Has Google stopped providing this facility I wonder? Do we have to pay now to access a once free Google map of Ireland? If anyone out there can answer this can you reply and let the rest of us know?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

For Google Chrome and Brave missing map due to EU regulation. Add the two following plugins.

Get the MAP button back in search:

Add possibility to click on map after search (result on right side)
    https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/google-search-maps-button/edllcgchknhokighleffpipdedmpgiln https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/re-introduce-google-maps/mjkkdbmdflkcjmonelmlokplkgnjcnji

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I don't know if it's related to your issue, but I haven't been able to use Google Maps for months except by going directly from their generic URL, https://www.google.com/maps (which I've bookmarked; can get by Googling 'google maps'). This then defaults to Dublin for me and I navigate to other locations from the search box or by panning/zooming around. I've had variations in behaviour before (presumably their experiments with sections of their user-base?) but nothing as sustained and annoying as this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

For the last month or more, when I am browsing and say google a shop or a location the map location window if you clicked on it would open into a map with zoom in or out. Now clicking on the small map activates nothing, there's definitely been a change.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Peterbilt

gossamerfabric

Brilliant! My google maps with + and - is back! And Street View and Topographical back too! Top marks gossamerfabric and well done and thank you!

EU regulations, yeah? Nobody told me, or asked me for my opinion. Back in my day the meddling EU didn't even exist, we called it the EEC. Most of it is good, but some of it is downright silly imo. Then again, I'm getting old and cranky and prehistoric, hence my refusal to buy a smartphone and my loyalty to my ancient 6310i. Oh well……… I keep up to date with laptops though, 🤤.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That's exactly the point of the EU regulation - if you make a deliberate choice to use Google Maps, i.e. by going to the Google Maps site, everything works as it used to; but if you're using Google Search as a shortcut, Google is no longer allowed to prioritise their own Maps app/site in the results with a functionality they don't provide to others.

It's a bit of a nuisance when you want to identify the location of somewhere using non-geographic terms, but not the worst of the sh1te-site that Google has become over the last decade, which they've accomplished without any EU interference.

BTW, it's the same for Google Flights.

Just saw gossamerfabric's post - might try those plugins if things don't revert. Also read a little about it, inc. https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/261655134/google-maps-not-being-linked-from-google-search-results-page?hl=en where folks are asking if a less draconian solution would have been provided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

I just posted what I found from Reddit as I first observed the changed behaviour maybe 8 weeks ago.

I am totally in favour of the E.U.'s attempts to level the playing field and give other service providers equal access to the market although I myself operate within Google's sphere of influence having used a Chromebook for quite a while now and Android being my phone OS of choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement