Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Listening to a few preview pods during the day, and lads, our title challenge was good while it lasted, bhe tone of all the shows was very much that the title decider is taking place on Sunday between Arsenal and City, but even if there is a winner the loser is very much still on the title race. Very much fvck all about Liverpool, all about city and in particular Arsenal, hwo the guardian and in particular the Athletic are tripping over themselves to big up and are ready to crown them champions at 6pm pm on Sunday.

Makes little difference, if anything it might put a little pressure on Arsenal, but it's comical at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Interesting that xabi alonso says he's staying. Next year at Leverkusen is most likely going to be much tougher than this season. Vultures are likely to be circling and if a PL teams decides they want to buy one or two of their players it could really unsettle them. Add in the relentlessness of European football and a drop off is inevitable.

Brighton lose McAllister and caicedo while qualifying for europe and now look at them. This has happened time and again with clubs that punch above their weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I wouldn't let any of that **** bother me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The interesting thing about De Zerbi in comparison to some of the other guys doing well with smaller PL sides, is just how tactically innovative he looks. Like, of all the guys in that bracket, he's the one who looks like he could kick on another level by working with better players that can do things lower level players can't - similar to Pep.

He's probably not at the very top of my list, but he's streets ahead of guys like Gary O'Neil or Marcos Silva, as I saw him compared to earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Arsenal are the media darlings of late, still think we're second favourites behind city, but you'd swear we're 7 points back the way we are being dismissed.

• Advertisement

No, not bothered, just found the commentary funny is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think Xabi essentially rejecting Bayern and Liverpool means his players will stay with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think we'll do it. Just about, but we'll do it.

I wouldn't want him but I think Gary O'Neil's tactical acumen is much underrated. Learned it all with our U23s of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

the stats vs these guys aya the exact opposite, lowest for Strategic Intelligence and Tactical command

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68695428

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Obviously not a candidate for the Liverpool job, but, in relation to Gary O Neil, he has actually done exceptionally well considering the circumstances he got both his jobs, at Bournemouth he stepped up when Scott Parker basically said the players weren't good enough for the Premier league and were expected by most to go down, but, he kept them up quite comfortably in the end and then was harshly sacked. At Wolves he took over just a few days before the season started, again Wolves were expected to be in or around the relegation zone, but, they are in top half of the table.

He's not a glamorous name, so doesn't really get the credit he deserves, would be interesting to see how he does if given a few seasons at Wolves to put his own stamp on the squad, up til now he's basically had to work with players bought for different managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

**** Real Madrid always get what they want. Every single time. He will 100% replace Ancelotti.

Could be as simple as his Mrs not wanting to live on Merseyside.

We are not a club who chops and changes manager every season, surely he knows that too. Yet no doubt he will probably take over a Madrid side which is a ceremonial position at best.

As for De Zerbi, he gets alot of **** on here, from his apparent inability to set up a defence to his stupid beard (and I'll admit it's monumentally ****), but he has alot going for him. His teams play good football, Brighton concede goals because they play football on the front foot rather being "keep it tight and hit them on the break merchants", he will 100% do a good job at a stellar club. And players who play for him will run through brick walls for him, wherever he has been. If he is too risky then so are Xabi and Amorin.

It's really hard to take much from those, given how nebulous they are - what do those numbers actually mean, what are they saying? What do they correspond to? By their stated definitions they appear to only value making changes to match the opposition (one in game, and one week to week), but seemingly don't give any value to having a set of tactics you use week in week out, even when they're very effective (as was obviously the case with De Zerbi's Brighton, particularly last season). They didn't adapt to opposition - they forced opposition teams to adapt to them.

Which is my point. A lot of the managers in the bracket of smaller clubs overachieving, do so in ways that are not transferrable to bigger teams because they have a natural ceiling. You can only get so far with a low block and quick counter for instance. He's one of the very few in that tier who get results with tactics he innovated himself that play the game on their terms, which is what you need at a bigger club. It's why Klopp's big step up was to switch from the chaotic 'heavy metal' high press to the more controlled midfield press that let us grind teams down week in week out. So with his proven tactical innovation, i could see him being in a good position to do more with better players (much like Pep).

It's also worth noting that in the time periods specified, that he's been at by miles the smallest clubs in their respective leagues, so it's not a fair comparison regardless.

(I'm generally not a fan of that article they've been rehashing anyway, their previous iteration of it made a bunch of cases for why Alonso was way below others, while putting Amorim top. But most of the arguments they made against Alonso were actually just as relevent to Amorim, but they simply chose to ignore them - like playing with 3 at the back. They had a whole section talking about Alonso's system not working with the Liverpool players, ignoring that Amorim plays the same same system with 3 at the back.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I liked O'Neill when he was on MNF a couple months back. Seems to have a good head on him. But he needs a lot more experience yet, both domestically and in European football.

Also, there was a Bournemouth fan on TAW a few weeks ago. Mainly on to speak about the work that Richard Hughes did while at the club. One thing that stood out for me when he was speaking is that Hughes wasn't afraid to make the big decisions, and be cutthroat about it. One of those was sacking Gary O'Neill last summer, something which was widely criticized, and bringing in Iraola.

The Iraola switch was a big call alright… and even with as well as O'Neil has been doing with Wolves, I kinda think it might still have been a good decision though, particularly in the context of when he made it. Ultimately, it looks like both guys are good managers so it's a little much of a muchness perhaps, but Iraola's Bournemouth are now only 4 points off O'Neil's total last season, with 10 more games to play. Iraola's team have also improved as the season has gone on and the players understood his tactics, so there's very much an upward trend, whereas last season finished pretty badly under O'Neil.

Not really a fair comparison to compare Bournemouth last season to this, Bournemouth were just after gaining promotion last year and after shipping 9 goals against us when O'Neil stepped up to take over, he kept them up with a few games to spare, they lost the last few games after they were already safe, all the signs of a team that went on holiday mode once their objective of staying up was achieved, not that surprising really. Bournemouth had a nett spend of 125 million on players bought to suit Iraola this season, so an improvement on last season would have been expected.

At the same time Wolves who just finished 2 points above Bournemouth last season had a nett profit of 75 million this season, O'Neil only took over a few days before the season, so no pre-season, no real input to player recruitment and yet has already equalled Wolves points total last season and on course to finish above Bournemouth ( that could change of course). So far the jury is still out on if Bournemouth did make the right decision to replace O'Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Analysis on spending is flawed at best, either way it seems like a discussion for general discussion as you say " obviously not a candidate for the Liverpool Job"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I feel any manager that comes in immediately post Klopp is going to get a rough time of it unless they're successful straight away, just look at how the media savaged Emery (I remember the good ebening stuff vividly) when he replaced Wenger at Arsenal, and that was from a much lower starting base than where Klopp has you guys right now (and this season is far from done yet so could be even higher if ye win the league and/or Europa League).

Any minor slump of form and the knives will come out immediately. For that reason it is probably best if Alonso doesn't take the reins in the summer, as disappointing as it may be for you guys.

Managers generally get time at Liverpool and the fans are patient. Roy Hodgson the exception as he looked a dud from day one.

You mention Emery. Liverpool could do a lot worse than him. A much better candidate than most of the names linked.

On the other side of it, no one would be given more time and patience than Xabi Alonso. And it’s very rare you get to take over a project that’s actually in really good shape.

Tbh any managers whose reason for not taking over is fear driven, is probably never going to be a top level manager (and in reality, I don’t think that line of thinking will be in any of the prospective new guys minds - the top guys all have vast self confidence).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Absolutely. And people write Silva off because he’s failed at some previous jobs, but every good manager learns lessons. The way Fulham, a mediocre enough team, have played against the big 6 teams has been superb. Haven’t always got the results (although they have got some), but always play proper (and tactically impressively) football.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say de Zerbi is tactically innovative and O’Neill and Silva aren’t is, in my opinion, hype filled nonsense. Any of the three could potentially succeed at Liverpool with the talent we have, and there’s a probably a slightly higher chance than each of them would fail. None of them would by my choice, but based on how they have done in their current jobs, and where each club was when they were appointed, very difficult to choose who’s the best of them. (I’d probably go O’Neill if I was forced to pick one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Whoever takes over will have a tough time. Even had Klopp stayed it would have been a tough season, with our expectations now to challenge not just for the title but any trophy we compete in. We are going to have to be realistic that we may not do that again for a season or two while the new manager gets used to the club and players, especially with a strong City with Guardiola still there and their charges not looking to stick in any way at the moment.

So in that way maybe Alonso did not want to follow Klopp even with the patience he would be afforded. Maybe a "lower caliber" manager to manage our own expectations as well. That could be a good thing as well, then again maybe I am talking myself into accepting not getting Alonso when everything seemed so right for us to get him at this stage.

Emery is at the top of his level IMHO, running around the tip 4/5,but not really gonna drive on to win a league anywhere. Reminds me of Rafa a bit, a good coach, but not a lad to build a team to incessantly win like what's required nowadays. He'll go on unbeaten runs rather than going in long winning runs, and will drop points by settling for draws rather than pushing for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

If the manager has trophies under their belt, they will be given time. If they have none then it will hang over their heads imo.

The more I read and watch about Amorim the more I like him.

Any new manager will have a big job to do but they should be up for it otherwise they are not going to be in contention. It's an exciting job too. The squad is in a good shape and the young players are coming through too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Brighton have been really good at Anfield the last few seasons.

What do people think for tomorrow?

Gomez or Tsimikas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Newcastle look to have signed Liverpools medical team 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Some comeback from them, crazy amount of injuries though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

Draw tomorrow between City and Arsenal and we're very much in the title race (assuming we beat brighton of course). Normally i'd think City would win this but if stones and walker are missing along with a few others this is the best chance Arsenal have of getting something. I'm convinced it'll be a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,516 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We’re already in the title race, have been for most of the season and not badly placed in it either.

Can we stop pretending that this isn’t the case? Is it some sort of self-preservation tactic in case we don’t see it through again? We’re a massive club with a world class squad and will only be getting stronger with Trent, Ali, Jota and Jones coming back over the next few weeks.

Arsenal are the club that I don’t consider to be in the race, and that’ll only change if they win tomorrow. Then it’s a proper three horse race.

We’re not favourites of course, but if we manage to pull four clear of City at any point, then I’d change my mind on that.

Arsenal win tomorrow is what I want to see, I’m genuinely not worried about finishing below them. If they actually do manage to win the league, fair dues to them, they’ll have done it the right way. I just don’t see it happening this year tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

Sorry that's my point we are leading the title race if the other two draw and we win. We have the impetus to go on and win it.

Arsenal are very much in this title race this year. If anything it's City who look fallible. Tomorrow will tell a tale, sure, but even if Arsenal lose I don't think they're out of it. Our match is massive given that it's happening before those two take the pitch. Brighton worry me because you never know what you'll get with them and they generally give a very good account of themselves against us.

I agree were in it but like the above poster, I dunno what more Arsenal have to do to prove their in it too

If Arsenal win tomorrow, the confidence and momentum they will gain would be massive and with their superior goal difference they would be difficult to overhaul. I definitely wouldn't dismiss them, obviously if they lose tomorrow, it would be difficult to see them winning it, but, if they come away with a draw they will be there until the end, a win would make them favourites.

The most important thing is that we win tomorrow to put pressure on the other two, a draw I think is the best result for us as it dents both Arsenal and Man City, it would put us 3 points (with a better GD) ahead of City and 2 points ahead of Arsenal. Whatever about Arsenal and City, we need to look after our own business first.

• Advertisement

I hope Arsenal win tomorrow, or at least draw.

I think City will smash them though.

Looking too fat ahead, but Atalanta won 0-3 in Naples today.

Some result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So you are saying they need to lose weight?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Brentford all over United, hit the post and had good chances, expect United to lead 2-0 at the half due to a dodgy shot and a nice break.

As for tomorrow, I do find it interesting that we have seemingly been overlooked by many for the title. Most pundits that I have seen has Arsenal s almost certainties if they win tomorrow and if not then City will easily win the title. Hopefully we bring ourselves to the attention of everyone and remind them that it is not a 2 horse race to the title this year.

Don't really know where everyone is getting this from. I've seen a three horse title race mentioned everywhere. One point separates the top 3 - how could it be any other way? I've seen no one downplaying Liverpool's title credentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Its a 3- horse race. It has been since Arsenal beat us in January/February time.

You could actually make an argument for all 3 results tomorrow in Man City-Arsenal bring a good result but tbh none of them matter unless Liverpool win. Liverpool win first and thats the most important thing. Failure to win and that could be lights out as it will hand the initiative to the 2 others. Whatever about the away games but there is 5 home games remaining and we have to win all 5 of those for a start. Then we can start hoping for a draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Draw, Arsenal win then a City win IMO are the preferred results for tomorrow.

That’s if we do the business against Brighton first of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arsenal win please.

They're not winning out until the end of the season. Not a hope.

City could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Same, i don't see Arsenal winning their remaining 9 games, city however might.

How many of our lads actually got some rest over the "break", did Ibou play for France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Talisman

Konate was on the bench against Germany at the weekend and played the full game against Chile on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My thoughts exactly.

Obviously, we need to look after what we can control or it's a mute point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Even if Arsenal did win all their games it'd still be in our own hands. We'd need to win all of ours too whilst out scoring them, but at least we wouldn't be relying on others. I'd hate to drop points and be depending on results elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

How in the name of feck did we let that useless shower of sh**s beat us in the cup???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's what I want too, one point each would be ideal but I won't give two fecks unless Liverpool win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

In fairness, they had the better game plan. Fool us into thinking we'd the game won by playing poorly and enable us to sub our best players for kids, then hit us with a sucker punch in the 120th minute. As masterstrokes go, ETH played us well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement