Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

this Poyet vs Keane vs Oshea thing is dreamed up or there is nothing much to suggest it will be any of those three . I’ll wait for Dan McDonnell, fabrizio Romano or Ornstein to break the story of what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Not Roy Keane according to todays Irish Mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Greece were very good in those games against us and Poyet got the better of Kenny in tactics battle.

Looking at the other available/realistic options, I don't see anyone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

But that's such a small sample size to base things on. If Greece had beaten Wales or Scotland in 2 games would anyone be be even mentioning Poyet? I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think you remember Roy Keane as a manager. He was generally very reserved apart from the occasional press conference. I think he left both jobs on good terms and was never one to stir it or run to the press instead of the board with his problems.

I kind of want it to be Poyet because a lot of stuff will be exposed, but I reckon the FAI will ultimately be too afraid of his mouth to appoint him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fact is we're shopping in the bargain basement for managerial appointments. Poyet would be preferable to me due to the experience vs JOS. Also vs Keane as it's been 10 years since Keane had a managerial gig. But unless we unearth two decent CMs whoever gets the gig isn't going to improve our fortunes vastly in the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

From Dan McDonnells news letter this morning:

"There have been plenty of jokes about the significance of the Georgia-Greece playoff on Tuesday with Willy Sagnol and Gus Poyet on either side but there are sources claiming that senior FAI figures were following developments in the shootout in Tbilisi very closely in the minutes before kick-off in the Switzerland game. And the story goes that they didn’t necessarily get the result that they wanted."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Say you put a team together of excellent retired players from the last few years, cech, company, pique, Roberto Carlos, iniesta, pirlo, xavi, bale, David villa, torres.

Could The current irish team beat them or would the retired players make a show of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

SK has set a low bar for the next coach. It's a handy job now.

I wouldn't say handy, but agree the bar is so slow after the SK disaster. He has left us in a bad place so the only way is up now hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Unless you get Jesus to come down off the cross and fill in at right back the 10 men retirees are well bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ElJaguar

Has Chris Hughton definitely ruled himself out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So I guess we'll learn tomorrow if he's the man to 'resurrect' Irish soccer….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

It looks like Josh is the last man standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't believe it when I heard RK is getting £3mill a year from Sky.

He earns his money easy. Appear a few times a week and produce the odd sound bite for social media.

He is a poor pundit. Next to no technical analysis of the game or tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Brian Kerr ruled him out. Whether he actually talked to Hughton or is just guessing is another thing. Said Hughton wouldn't be rushing into another job so soon. Saying that if the FAI were to actually approach him I couldn't see him turning it down. Don't think he gets a better job offer coming his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

With Poyet now seemingly out it really puts the FAI in an even bigger bind. If they offered Poyet a 5 year deal and only give O'Shea a 2 year deal it shows they dont really have full confidence in JOS either. What was a sh!tshow of a management appointment process has now become a complete farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭bren2001

FAI can simply deny they offered Poyet a 5 year deal or they can structure any offer to JOS with a clause allowing termination after 2 years eg for non-qualification.

The shitshow is the “contractual obligations” as to why they had to wait until April to announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Post edited by YTM on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Acosta

This whole thing about them apparently having their man weeks ago, looks to have been bullshit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Yup always has been. They've been saying since January that an appointment was imminent. The FAI are absolutely scrambling in the background. The simple fact is when Canham said he'd have a manager in place by April no contract could have possibly been signed because that would have required board approval. Poyet could well have been yanking their chain for the last few months and he's gotten a better offer from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Cullen and O'Shea on scoresheet for Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

How are you so sure that no contract could have been signed?

For a contract to be signed it requires the entire 14-person boards approval, with the terms and conditions also approved to ensure the budget sanctioned at the outset is complied with. So there may be agreements and offers made but nothing's rubber stamped until then. The FAI were planning to do that on this Wednesday.

Can't see anyone but O'Shea at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Acosta

It was also nonsensical that they'd have a new manager signed up and it not leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,013 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think we should give him the chance. We have nothing to lose. The reality is, whether we like it or not, we just aren't an attractive proposition for an established manager of any stature in the game.

It's not just pay check, it's career. This team will not qualify for a tournament no matter who is in charge. It's a very hard sell.

Give it to O'Shea and let's see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

This is good, saw it on another forum

Did Paul Simon have a premonition?

You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don’t need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don’t need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

• Advertisement

we should give it to someone with zero managerial experience bar being a caretaker manager? No thanks.

we should just accept we are not going to qualify for tournaments? No thanks.

It’s the Irish national team, we should hire someone with experience and credibility. Unless we get a nightmare draw, of course we’ve a chance of qualifying for the next tournament.

There's a certain reality we have to live in. The fact is no manager with credibility and experience wants to touch us and definitely not for 600k/year.

We haven't qualified for a world cup in 22 years, we've missed out on them with far better players than this group so it's realistic to say we aren't going near the next World Cup even with a few extra qualifying places.

It’s not unrealistic to appoint a manager with experience. Much smaller countries with less of a budget manage it.

It’s not unreasonable to enter the next qualification campaign with the hopes of qualifying however slim the chances are. Why bother to watch then?

Depends on your definition of experience. We're simply not going to attract a Championship manager with options. Continental coaches that we're interested in would have better options. Experience may well be a centurion former Ireland international.

I watch the games because it's my national team. We're just so far behind from years of underfunding in this country it's next to impossible now for us to qualify for a world cup.

I'm just looking for an improvement in performances and some credible results. I don't believe for a second we have a team capable of qualifying for a Euros never mind a World Cup. I don't see where the big improvement needed in the quality of our players in key positions is coming from for the next couple of qualifiers. That doesn't mean we don't try but I think it's easier to accept where we are to be honest and start building a more competitive squad. It's going to take years to get us off the floor.

Given where we are now what have we got to lose? O'Shea seems to want it. I thought the team did OK in the friendlies so why not?

• Advertisement

we don’t even have the draw but it’s next to impossible for us to qualify? That’s a crazy position to take. We could get an absolute peach of a draw.

We didn’t score a goal in both games and never really looked like scoring (penalty aside). We created one meaningful chance in both games, the ogbene shot. Apart from that, it was nothing impressive.

We’re not in a great spot and we can’t get a particularly high calibre manager but we can do better than “OShea, why not?”. His career does not demonstrate he’s capable of the job. I’d honestly prefer to bring Kenny back (and that was a dire few years).

Put us in any qualifying group for the last euros and we're not finishing in the top 2 in any of them. Our one decent strikers' form has fallen off a cliff and we have no midfield.

We might get a new manager bounce. We might become defensively solid, revert to long ball and ground out a few results but we're still not going to a World Cup.

Scotland came 2nd, Albania topped a group, Slovenia came 2nd, Romania topped a group, Slovakia came 2nd. We absolutely could have qualified in other groups. We were never gonna get ahead of France/Netherlands. Those teams listed above are not on a different stratosphere to us.

That was one route in, the other was the Nations League. Ukraine, Armenia, and Scotland. If we finished 2nd (entirely plausible), we’d have gotten a play off. Ukraine route was Bosnia and Iceland, two teams we’ve a reasonable chance of beating.

There’s no reason we should accept we’re not qualifying for the next WC before the draw is even made. We shouldn’t make managerial appointments based on “why not?”. We should appoint someone who will make us as competitive as possible in the next campaign and/or build for the future.

It's if my granny had balls stuff. We got humped by Greece home and away but we'd finish second in a group ahead of two of Albania (group winners), Poland,Czech Republic? You're absolutely dreaming.

We didn't qualify for the 24 team Euros but we can qualify as one of the 16 UEFA teams for the next world cup?

For a turn around like that we'd need some serious young talent coming through the pipelines, knocking around decent European leagues. We have none of that. If an Irish player gets a game in the top two tiers in England or a game in Serie A they're suddenly our new messiah such is the dearth of talent in our current squad.

Qualifying for the Euros is doable as half of European goes to them now and we're sitting at home with the minnows and principalities. Although the Nations league qualifying is so out of line we'd have been better off if we'd been relegated the last time around.

• Advertisement

There’s no “if my granny had balls” stuff. You said if you put us in any other qualifying group, we wouldn’t have qualified. Other teams with a similar level of player managed it. One of which we played off the park in a 3-0 win in the NL in the campaign directly before it.

You can draw a comparison but it’s nonsense the other way round?

We’d a shite manager for the last qualification campaign but by your logic I suppose Sweden, Wales and everyone else who didn’t qualify should just give up now? Build for 2028.

There’s no reason to believe we can’t give qualification a good go before the draw is even made. I don’t think the qualification criteria has even been set out but you’ve already called rip.ie and put in the obituary.

Sweden and Wales are better outfits than us.

Scotland have far better players than us. Gilmore, McTominay, Tierney and McGinn would be absolute God's for us if we had them. The 3-0 in Dublin was a freak result. We went on to have a crap qualifying campaign, Scotland went toe to toe with Spain and are off to the Euros. Even if they are out of form right now.

You're going to find it very hard to find anyone that believes we can be in the top 16 sides in Europe to go to the next world cup. So ya we're looking at another building campaign this round of qualifiers. Become hard to beat and hopefully go into the next Euros with a decent chance of qualifying.

“We didn't qualify for the 24 team Euros but we can qualify as one of the 16 UEFA teams for the next world cup?” - so one set of rules for Ireland and another for Sweden and Wales.

We played Scotland off the park in that 3-0 win. Norway have better players than them but they managed it.

Again, the draw hasn’t been made but you’ve given up already. There’s pessimism and then there’s this. We should just give it to JOS because sure why not? It’s nonsense, we should expect a manager not an ex player stepping into his first role. Duff and Keane at least have experience, give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If we've nothing to lose sure we may as well have left Kenny in charge.

We looked somewhat impressive at times against Belgium but the Switzerland game was absolutely shocking. Unimaginative, boring, frustrating, poor use of substitutions, and overall demonstrated how tactically poor O'Shea is currently at this stage of his career. There was very little positives from the game to suggest O'Shea should be the man to take us forward.

Do we really want another two years of that? Struggling to score a goal? Being tactically outclassed by any half decent manager? No Plan B? Crying out for changes to be made and being left seeing Matt Doherty come on instead?

At this stage I'd taken even Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce. At least those lads have shown to be able to get the odd result over a superior team. Not an untested manager new to football management who was involved with the farce of Stephen Kenny's backroom team.

You seem to be off on a bit of a soap box crusade here. There's nothing particularly controversial about saying we're not going to the next world cup.

The qualifiers will be 12 groups of 4 or 5 teams. Group winners go to the world cup. We are not getting to a world as a group winner.

The play off is the 12 group runners up plus the 4 best placed nations league teams. Seeded teams get home advantage in the semi final and final. 4 teams out of 16 here go the world cup. Unbelievably difficult to get through that. Plenty of good outfits will fall early in this.

there’s a massive difference between “we have no chance of qualifying” and “we are unlikely to qualify”.

Weve a chance and we should pick a manager who gives us the best chance. JOS is not that person.

Who is available and interested to give us a better chance? Roy Keane appears to be the only other realistic option (publicly anyway).

Who then is a realistic prospect for you we should pursue? All well saying JOS is not good enough but what's the alternative?

Suggest a realist manager who will take it on for 600k/year because the FAI have been turned down twice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement