Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€35,000 to spend on a new business, I just need an idea

Options
  • 01-11-2023 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have been reading through the forum and have found it so helpful.

As the title explains, I have some savings that I have ringfenced to start up a new business.

I just don’t know what I should do? Does anyone know of any groups that link ideas people to start up funds?

I have had 2 quite successful small businesses which were both in Health and Fitness sector, in each I had 1-2 part time employees along with myself. For the last number of years I have concentrated on children but now I am itching to start back into something exciting! I really don’t care what sector it is!

I have years of project management experience, and a small bit of capital to help launch, can anyone help with some ideas?

l’m not expecting anything ground breaking, I’m happy if it’s an idea to take a business model already working for someone and recycle it.

Anyway, I’m excited to jump into something!!!

Susan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The $64,000 question 😋

It makes sense to concentrate on your passions, one of which looks like it’s health and fitness related. You already know the market and the clientele.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You're literally coming here asking people for business ideas? Christ.

Your post history is confusing - recently you said you were employed and then on JSB. Did you sell the businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Doughnuts are going to be huge next year. But no one does doughnuts and milkshakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jane_Not His Real Name

Can you identify problems that people have? That can be fixed…can you invent something that makes like easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Kids gymnastics is a huge area and you have experience in the kids fitness area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could set up a general purpose discussion forum for irish people.

People wonder why boards has gone way downhill.

Here's an example. A mod, even if a mod from another forum, takes the utter piss from what seems to be a genuine query.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was a light hearted joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

where are you based? in relation to your question about start up funds, might be worth contacting your local enterprise office who probably have a primer on supports available for start up businesses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

@magicbastarder's mind before posting:

I guess they didn't realise it would come off like that.

Not necessarily. Some well established operators run their classes in schools and despite the scare stories you hear, insurance for controlled child activity is not that high.

But you probably need more than 35k between equipment, fitout and staff training.

The budget the op has is relatively small, even if they got the bank to match. So in reality the ideal business is possibly a one or two person service business in the fitness area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

You could open mobile sauna depending on your location, just need to be at a location where people swim or take a dip.

You'd have enough to get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

It's great that you already have experience starting and running a business. You could start by creating a list of problems people and businesses have and try to develop a solution to solve them. You can filter this list by cost of developing, having the needed skills and if you have the ability to reach your target audience.

Try to keep your costs as low as possible until you have validated there is a clear demand for your product. Try to not spend months developing an fully functional product. Try to get a MVP out to the market as quick as possible and get feedback from your target audience.

More information here: https://irishsmallbusiness.ie/small-business-ideas-ireland-part-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KylaDecker

Consider joining startup incubators or accelerators that specialize in supporting entrepreneurs with ideas. Such programs can help you develop an idea, find investors, and get the guidance you need to launch a business. Explore platforms and resources online, such as AngelList or Kickstarter, where you can find potential investors or pre-seed funding for your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Fishing holladay package deal website. Nothing big like that In Ireland. Plenty of golf holaday package deals. I know someone who does it on a small scale selling fishing holidays to brittish Colombia in Canada.

Advertisement