Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robot Dreams

Options
  • 29-03-2024 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this absolute gem of an animated film today in the lighthouse. Absolutely brilliant stuff, no dialogue, well deserved the Oscar nom.

Warning

Will likely break your heart a tad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hadn't heard of this at all, thanks for the heads up. Just read a couple of other glowing reviews, it sounds great 🙂

Hopefully I can catch it, probably not the sort of film that will be in the cinema for long...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not a bother, I loved it personally and been thinking about it since to be honest and humming September by Earth Wind and Fire.

Yeah not too many showings about but I think worth seeing on the big screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s mostly a lovely, charming animated film with a positive, mature message about friendship, loneliness, growing up and moving on. The trailers and clips didn’t sell the art style to me but I think it ultimately works really well: it’s vibrant and welcoming, but also versatile enough to let a lot of character through (love the evil skiing anteaters).

Two caveats though, which kept it being a slam dunk for me.

One is that it felt too long for me, mainly because it repeatedly ends up going into dream sequences which get somewhat repetitive and rambling in the middle. A tighter 90 minute film I think would’ve sold the themes even better.

Second is a… weird one to put it mildly. Mostly the use of ‘September’ and the 1980s New York imagery (frequent shots of the WTC included) are entirely separate and entirely charming elements of the film. But I felt like I was losing my goddamn mind in the big, poignant final scene where the film kept framing shots of the Twin Towers to that particular song and the sound of sirens. It was such a bizarre detail that I just couldn’t figure out what it was trying to communicate in what was otherwise a nice, emotional ending. It was so overtly nodding to 9/11 to me that it couldn’t possibly have been accidental in a medium as deliberate as animation, but makes me feel insane even thinking about it let alone typing it out. So where I should’ve left the cinema feeling warm and satisfied, I left a little bewildered and bemused instead 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I really enjoyed it also, thought it was very well done and also agree that it could have been done in 90 mins. Didn't realize going in that it was dialog free but they told the story very well.

I saw it on Mubi go, which I find great value and have seen a few movies I would never consider going to without it.

Only thing though is this movie was in IFI and Lighthouse last week, but this week its only on in LH and all daytime screenings, meaning it was more difficult to make it to a screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said.

There maybe was a few too many dream sequences but they were all so lovely it would be hard to lose a number of them, I especially like the one where the robot jumped outside the frame.

I am guessing the time period is from the graphic novel but yeah a lot of shots of the twin towers.

I didn't mind the use of September for want of a better terms it was "their song", did they "meet" in September? Maybe the 21st was the skating and beach? it was also kind of adorable with the robot humming it, but yeah 9/11, a number of twin towers shots again maybe this is all in graphic novel and they were a key part of skyline I suppose in New York.

I could also just watch the little stories and details in the background to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Haven't seen this yet but assumed it was going to be a bit of of an upper but ultimately downer. But longer than 90 mins? Why?

Sure, Spiderverse movies were longer but they had complex situations with intricate and explanatory dialogue but dialogue-free/"Silent" movies (especially animated) should almost be 90 mins tops because, by their design, they should be the epitome of efficient storytelling.

Advertisement