Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naval Service General Discussion - Fleet, Manpower, Policy

• 30-03-2024 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭

General

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Opening a new thread for all things NS and future Navy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Whats the story with the Lake class boats, when are they supposed to be commissioned? Any news on names?

Still unknown. No point making them fully operational without crews for them.

Not a whisper about names.

I heard about the suggested naming convention, but we have a new Government coming in a fortnight that will be distinctly "anti-woke" in advance of three elections, so that particular avenue will probably be go nowhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, they were more Irish mythology than Irish history, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Martin saying 9 ship fleet still by 2028. Does that mean the P50s are going to be still operational and the MRV delivered by 2028?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41366581.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

MRV procurement proceeding very slowly......

"Nine modern ships by early in the next decade"

Well thats awesome ambition isn't it?

A net increase of one whole ship, with three new builds required to achieve it. And with none of our existing ships able to comprehensively surveil the air, surface or undersea environments. All while our EEZ is being rode rock solid and the undersea international infrastructure in our AoR is completely unprotected, at least by us.

If the P50 replacements aren't EPCs, and the MRV isn't an air defence frigate with lots of modular space below deck, we're basically pissing into the wind.

There are only doing 12 hour shifts so prob dont need as many crew. Still no base mentioned

I can see that LE Gobnait getting a rather rude nick name.

• Advertisement

Those names are poxy.

And unpronounceable for anyone who isn't Irish. Actually, most Irish people too in fact.

Gobnait O'Lunacy of parody songs old.

Bring back the Dubliners pride of the Irish Navy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

Who cares if they're unpronounceable to other nations, nobody else names their vessels based on what other countries can pronounce.

They're a unique part of our culture and I'm delighted they've gone back to it

I surely am.

But as names go, Gobnait was always used as a representation of an eejit, or a pious old yoke.

They might as well have gone with LÉ Gobshite.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tippilot

Horrific name for a naval vessel. Outdated. Inviting ridicule. Jesus, they will keep finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot when we need to turn corners and present a new image of a modern force.

In the middle of a recruitment crisis...Gobnait. FFS. That will get them signing up in droves. Horrific.

If the crew is only 20 would the highest rank on board be a sub-lieutenant?

I hope they are working hard behind the scenes to secure an East Coast base or most of the IPVs work will be just travelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

You've to credit the leap of imagination required to honestly believe that there's people out there who are fully determined and able to join the Navy and serve, but who will now change their mind simply because there's a ship named Gobnait.

About these highly limited minor vessels? Nope unfortunately not. But they, along with the unfortunate name are are a done deal and pointless discussing futher.

I agree with tippilot, and its certainly not all that bothers me, not by a long chalk. But it is symptomatic of the thinking at civil and command level around all of this stuff.

Redundant, outmoded, blinkered, naive, lazy and unambitious.

The LÉ Gobshite. Pride of the Irish Navy.

Unfortunately it's just stating the reality in the era of social media.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that corporate image doesn't matter.

It's just another facepalm moment to add to a long list of them. Avoidable and totally self inflicted. The Dubliners would have had a field day.

Now let's hope the phrase "interim" is not erased from the narrative around these vessels.

I can safely say that to anyone my age, Gobnait is nothing more than a funny sounding Irish name.

It's a bit contradictory to be citing modernity and the era of social media, while using as your references the Dubliners and a 40 year old Frank Kelly song.

• Advertisement

Tippilot made the social media era reference.

I mentioned Frank Kelly and the Dubliners.

Both are valid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chimp77

I have to agree what a fooping poxy sounding name for a Naval vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭sparky42

As mentioned, plenty of navies have had worse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know quite how insulting that song was. Strikes me very much as the same genre, if not the same generation, as "Are you right there, Michael?". Face it, the Naval Service wasn't a bastion of combat capability in the day (let alone now) and it wasn't shooting at much.

May as well complain about "It makes a fellow proud to be a soldier", also from the 1960s.

I wonder who comes up with these ridiculous names? The P60' s naming was a bit daft IMO, but this latest one is an out and out joke. Do the military get a say in this at all? Or is it decided by some pen pusher in the civil service?

Almost certainly the latter.

I thought it would have nice to honour the origins of the Lake-Class vessels themselves and gone with Corrib, Mask, Sheelin, Erne, Allen etc., or even the great rivers of Ireland, Shannon, Blackwater, Liffey, Slaney etc. Simple, relevant, memorable, pronounceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭septictank

Good Idea.

Duffy is on the radio now talking about "Gobnait".

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mupper2

Our license fee at….work, I guess,. Daily whingefest.

Anything interesting said on that radio programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

It was Joe Duffy, there's rarely anything interesting said on it beyond normal people showing how ill informed they are.

Superb photo! Thanks.

Interesting to see the reports that it might be one of the 50's that return to service and not one of the 60's, still its good news if it happens.

Indeed, if we are able to get two more into service it will certainly be an improvement, both for patrols and for the people as you pointed out getting sea time, and might allow for another Med deployment which again might be another small step towards helping retention issues. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The Munster Republic is been reborn and Niamh & her sister will form its Navy?

• Advertisement

Which is?

Someone who seems real mad we're not naming ships after pacifist writers anymore..

The opinion piece is 100% correct.

The boats haven't been commissioned yet, so still time for a change, and I've already written to Micheál Martin to do precisely that.

OK,I guess, each their own, but I would have thought there are a few other areas defence related to write to the Minister about before we whine about the names of a couple of ships…

• Advertisement

There are indeed.

But if we are to believe the claim that it was Eamon Ó'Cuiv who swayed the Tánaiste's mind on the matter personally, its clear those other defence areas are not an especially high priority for him.

Just to note, I have written to him before on a couple of defence matters, and I did include a few other things when writing about the P70 names.

The author's name didn't ring any bells in terms of defence so I had a look. This seems to be his first piece on anything Irish defence related, but he has other stuff like; "I have a great idea for men ahead of International Womens Day…" and "Dublin has a historical deficit of streets named after women".

Looks like he has a particular axe to grind.

Delete.

On Naval Social Media they show crews working on the IPVs and also say Armamwnt Upgrade. Is that a GPMG or have they installed the same system as the Mowag cars?

Surely a GMPG wouldn't take a large amount of work? I mean enough to make a point of it?

Can we assume it's one of the Rhinos that have recently become homeless?

It should really be a stabilised RWS.

I understood they were due to get a stabilised 30mm system with remote fire control, like a DS30M or NSG30 or some such.

if so, does that suggest a path for the replacement of the secondaries on the other ships?

We would probably have seen a manufacturer's press release if it was anything new.

An improvement on the HMG's no doubt but a tough ask to maintain accurate fire in rough seas with an unstabilised mount.

I was just thinking the same. Its all very well to have spare Rhinos going, but they aren't really fit for purpose on the Lake Class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement