Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass tetany prevention - suckler cows

Options
  • 30-03-2024 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been spoken about before but just wondering what do fellas use for preventing grass tetany in suckler cows when they go out , hopefully won't be long more.

I use the magnesium bolus but they can be expensive. Used to use the magnesium lick bucket but I find there isn't much to be saved as I was using about 2 buckets every 10 days for 25 cows. And you can't be guaranteed they're all licking them

So I found the bolus more reliable and almost as cost effective , only hassle is putting them in the crush to give them.

Just like to hear people's thoughts on this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Apparently the bolus is only effective for 28 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Aalways used magnesium in water, 100 cows and never a loss .Put pump in barrell, and it will draw in the magnesium. Some people up the rate in wet weather. Never did here just left it at same setting. When we used buckets we always lost the odd one. If the get it once and you are lucky enough to save them, get rid asap as they are likely to get it agaiin

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

28 days is correct, I give 2 before they go out and I put the flake into the water trough in morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Find the bolus good also. Give two going out and maybe twice more during the year including Autumn.

A bit of work alright but peace of mind. Have never lost anything since I started using them. Don't use anything else.

They're gone expensive though but I suppose if you lost a cow it would buy a lot of bolus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Flowmag and a Compsey Dispenser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

best option and guaranteed they are getting it.

Cows don’t retain the magnesium hence only safe for 28 days with bolus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Skerries Steve

Got caught before with the bonuses, cow down with tetany after getting the 2 bonuses within 28 days, had vet out told him the story and was told they can sometimes bring the bolus up with the cud and that they need the 2 bonuses in the stomach to rub off one another to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

We have never done a thing. Maybe been lucky. All old pastures.

Advertisement