Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭memorystick

In Boston for a few days. Thought this might be of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Not sure. Will know more at weekend. R grade at least anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And just in case people did ot notice that is per lb no kg. Multipy by 2.2 to convert. That means that the steaks that are 40 ish a lb and allowing for 1.08 conversion rate those steaks are retailing at 95/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭memorystick

Not sure if it’s clear but $149 per pound for the most expensive. Top half of second photo I think. Very expensive to eat out over here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is it a sign of the crazy world we live in: under 'Italiana' branding, American beef is sold at very high prices in the same week the first PGI-status Irish beef is sold with a discount in Italy?

Can't find the article online now, but it was in the IFJ last week. Apparently, new products are often sold with a discount.

I think PGI will do nothing for Irish beef and certainly nothing for farm-gate prices. I just hope it doesn't turn into another paperwork burden for the farmer.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Austinbrick

PGI Friday's

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Austinbrick

But fish tomorrow for some of us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

TBH, if you really need to feel you need a rasher or a pint on one of the two Catholic religious fast days in the year, it's says more about you than you think.

At the young lads foundations and subfloor last 3-4 weeks he decided to go for a Irish breakfast with a couple of lads giving a hand tomorrow morning. I told him not for me. I could have gone for a cheese omelette or hope they served smoked salmon & eggs etc, but now and again I wish people would respect other people's beliefs/ feelings

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭893bet

Surely you should respect the fact that they don’t believe equally.

I will probably respect it myself today but can’t say that I always have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

Its quality looking in fairness.....Im imagining those short ribs cooked low and slow too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭893bet

it’s def one of them “premium” type butchers no doubt. And in an extremely affluent area I suspect.

But the prices are mental.

and you should respect that people are allowed have a sense of humour…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

You must be getting very slow in your old age Bass, only a few weeks ago here you were going to build a 45 metre block wall on the side of a mountain in 2 days along with digging out the foundations with a fork and barrowing up the readymix for the foundations!!

Now you’re 4 weeks doing a few bits of foundations for a house with a crew of men, we had all that done in a long weekend here a few years back 😉😂

I killed cattle last week and one was a 23 month old 740kg yard weight U grade limousine. She killed out 434kgs and made €2,421. That’s €3.27/kg liveweight based on her yard weight.

Had I brought her to the mart she could have had anything up to 8% weight loss by the time she’d stand on the scales in the mart. Even allowing for half that at 4% loss she’d have been 710kgs in the mart. Now I’d need €3.41/kg just to match the factory price.

I’m not saying the mart isn’t an option, and for anyone that’s non QA’d it’s probably the best option, but lads need to know how to calculate their figures before selling stock for €3/kg live weight and thinking they done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭grass10

She was an u= she had a very good kill out and was obviously a good big slim heifer with no waste you did very well and made the right decision it just shows what some animals can make the other side is what some factories are paying in some marts for plain cattle which can never kill into what they are making live

Yep a U= at €5.20 base price. Her killout was exactly what I’d expect from a U= and it’s what the factory men buying in the marts would expect too. She was a good animal and if they were all like her there’d be money to be made out of cattle! She was bought in the back end of 2022 for €800.

I’d R grade limousines and O grade whiteheads on the same docket. When I get a chance later I’ll sit down and work out the live weight prices they came into as well just out of interest now.

My opinion on the factories buying fat cattle in the mart is that it’s a disaster for the farmer really. If them stock aren’t being brought to the marts then it forces the factories to rise the base price to entice them out. Whereas when they’re in the mart they’re happy to pay a little bit more for an odd one because they’ll be getting the majority at a lot less than they’d have to give in the factory so it keeps a floor on the price.

+1 on the fat cattle in the mart. Never have and never will bring a finished animal to the mart.

How would ye go about getting your eye in out of curiosity

For my own situation Im going to get a decent scales so I know what weight im dealing with but beyond that how do ye go about judging what grade they are, fat score etc

I always sold potential in the mart and done well but Im thinking I could do better and might see about finishing more than the odd one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

You learn by sending cattle to the factory and looking at the kill sheet. Cows and heifers are fatter than you think, young bulls are less fat than you think, most continental cows are R’s, some make U’s. Most lm bulls/bullocks are U’s and CH’s R’s I find, It’s not that difficult grading continental cattle after you send a few anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

If you send a few underfinished cattle to a factory you’ll learn fast but the grading and fat scores is not rocket science either. Managing grass and knowing what meal and how much for how long to feed them is the harder part I think, the grading and fat scores will look after themselves imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The best way to learn is grade the cattle before they go to the factory and then see them hang on the line it can be an eye opener how different types of cattle kill out and grade, the Lim heifer above must have being getting close to an E grade with that sort of kill out and very little gut, a very wise cow dealer one day in the factory told me a wise words, a animal that has seen hunger in its life never kills well. A true fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Pray tell me how come the wisest man on this tread who claims to be grossing 300/head profit/animal only ever buys hungry stores ,or is just he is good at whart he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭epfff

Big difference between hunger and hungry.

Hunger past tense has happened lasting effects will always be visible.

Hungry present tense happening no damages yet can be cured with food .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@epfff correct, there is a massive difference between hungry cattle and starved cattle. If cattle and looked after from day they will always be on the back foot. Its why starved calves in the Mart should always be left where they are they will never do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Well buying hungry stores is different than buying cattle that have seen lots of hardship and are way behind weight for age, also a lot has to do with time on farm, weight for age etc, well everyone has different systems that suits their farm, but if this man has the best system why isn’t there a rush for everyone to go at it. Not running the man down but everyone if outstanding in their own field.

From what I see the vast majority of calves are done ok until they get to 3 months. The problems start after that, lads leaving them off in haggards or the same field year after year and then letting them there for weeks if not months and not dosing them.

If a calf is done right for the first 3 months they will generally recover from most setbacks and they often just need time. The issue I see at present is mostly genetic and that is why cattle are hanging and grading poorly.

John Shirley it was who wrote it nevers pays to breed a bad one but it often pays to buy one. For every 100 euro you pay extra for an animal they probably need to hang 15-20 kgs heavier and be a step higher on the grid for you to recover that cost.

THe reason most people do not do is is the want all there cattle to be front of house types. You are buying cattle that only have one outlet and that is the factory and you will have cattle a minimum of 12 months. You will also end up with the odd wrong one.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭kk.man

And your competition ring side are not the factory buyers, contracted feed lots and large scale finishers.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement