Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options
1101102103104105107»

Comments

You can avoid some of the grind by buying resources at space stations. For example, buying Life Support Gel and Ion Batteries saves you having to constantly search for sodium and oxygen.

Also you find rusted metal a lot, each can be refined to ferrite dust at a 1:2 ratio.

I'd also highly recommend getting a personal refiner at the Anomaly, so you can refine materials on the fly, even on your star ship and space station.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks, will do! I did get sick of looking for oxygen plants last night. So, I made a tiny shack, have the base computer, structure builder, bio fuel generator and a warp tunnel setup.

I read i should look for an outpost, one in each planet and set up camp there instead for quick trading. Will do that today, try set up a more permanent base while i still get to grips with the game.

You could also build your base on a freighter, where you can install a trade terminal, also purchased at the anomaly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are the planets interesting to explore? Have they got some landmarks or something ?

There different types of structures, yeah. I would say it's fun to explore for a good while due to the planet and biome variety, but then it does get repetitive. But there's definitely enough to do to get your money's worth.

It's great in VR also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Cool, hope it plays well on the Switch ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The gift that keeps on giving. I was never big into the Freighter side of this, but that piques my interest. Pity I foolishly accepted the first Freighter I saved and have a hape of crap, and the good looking ones cost a lot! I wouldn't be happy creating my Bridge Crew until I had the best ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

As someone who bought this at the time, and kept backing it after launch, it's embarrassing at this stage.

There's been something like 20 "updates" at this stage, and basic functionality is sorely lacking.

Save game, reload, randomly fall through the floor. No problem, I'll just console respawn -- doesn't exist.

UI is still appalling. Inventory management is still mostly rubbish. Combat is facile. Everything single you do is ultimately massively repetitive, disguised under a thin veneer of difference, like a rubbish MMO. Animal movement looks briefly realistic until you spot the pattern after 5 seconds. Occasional moments of "that looks cool" fail to disguise the utter sameness of it all 90% of the time. That may well be a deliberate meta-comment on life, given the "story" as far as I've gotten.

But overall this is a mediocre game that could have been great, clearly focused on luring in more saps with "updates" than actually fixing the basic failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hey guys, can anyone explain NMS to me? Is it like a single player with some MP elements or is it like a Multiplayer with some Single Player elements game like Destiny 2/ Warframe?

It's both. I play 100% solo, but I know of people who play 100% MP. I just find myself getting lost in a loop of doing something. Like, the other night I was tempted to try and set up a farm to create the most expensive things you can craft, so I got lost in a loop of trying to find a system with the perfect planets to make certain parts easier to harvest. I gave in after a few jumps and got distracted by finding crashed ships to salvage instead. There is a lot to do here, but it is all basic enough. You can become a pirate, or a pirate hunter. You can smuggle goods or catch those that do. You can create massive bases or just continue to travel. With the latest update, you can build a city on your Freighter if you want. There are 3 "stories" to follow, but I don't recommend finishing one of them completely. You can do all of this with or without other people. If you're not paying for it, I think it's at least worth an experience.

I think MOH's comments are fair, it is very repetitive, but what game isn't if you pare them down to their core mechanics too? Racing games being the stand out, sports games too. It's always the same thing over and over, just a slightly different experience each time. I find the game relaxing, and I'll never tire of flying around in space in a system, watching the spectacular views (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cheers Monke. For 25 quid on PSN I guess it’s worth a punt.

I'd spend that 25 on Plus as it's included with that if I'm not mistaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Unreal, i couldn't get into this the last couple of times i played as i was on a tutorial but that had me collect a ton of resources that looked very grindy. I have to go back and try because every update shows a really interesting mechanic so I'm sure I'd like it if I gave it a proper chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

I’m hoping it’ll show up on ps plus - have turned into a console gamer, and can’t justify buying it again

missed the last few big updates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mac version arrived the other day. I'm playing it on a Mac Mini M1, performance is just fine, so I don't need to fire up the big PC for this any more.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oh nice, I'll install on my iMac M1 and see how it plays :)

• Advertisement

Holy crap. I thought they were winding down support when they made all the Expeditions available to play at any time. Now they drop this, with "more to come". Whatever people think of the actual game, I hope HelloGames and NMS is remembered for how to continue to support a game well after launch, how to give the community what it wants and continue to surprise with new amazing content. Had only played through the last Expedition a few weeks back, so looking forward to jump back in and have a go at making my own ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hello Games: "We aimed too high with our first game, and didn't set realistic expectations."

Also Hello Games: "Lets make an entire planet."

🤣

Well, an entire planet should be easier than 3 trillion of them... interesting concept, hope they pull it off, I've enjoyed my 200+ hours with NMS. Albeit solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've a good few hours in NMS at this point, mostly heavily modded and/or multiplayer. The updates are good to see, good support, but it remains a very shallow game at heart. Loads to do but not much of it very interesting.

(Funny thing is, this is from someone who has a lot more hours in Elite)

Might see if any of my mates want to dust off NMS for one last attempt at a long MP game.

Advertisement