Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,137 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's the hierarchy here

Mike

Admin

Cmod

Mod

?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad how a “certain type” of poster thinks that the mods are acting on every reported post and shutting down threads as a result.

A mod cannot act on any post that doesn’t break the rules. There’s nothing in the rules about someone feeling “offended”. However, if someone is uncivil, attacking the poster, ignoring mod instruction etc. that’s an actionable offence.

The mods can disagree with a reported post and take no action if they feel it doesn’t contravene the rules but if a post is reported for something that doesn’t break the rules the mods won’t be able to do anything about it.

If you want a thread kept open, don’t want to be threadbanned or sitebanned then just don’t break the rules. It’s quite simple, really, but for some reason a certain “cohort” just can’t seem to get their heads around it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Ezeoul I'm the one replying so obviously I'm going to speak from how I personally mod. I PM posters a lot more than I warn.

I delete a posters off-topic/arguing mod action posts rather than warn them. Often the post isn't worth a warning but if left it will disrupt the thread.

As I said I don't tend to contribute much to the more contentious areas of Boards so can't speak for the moderators there. But I tend to favour encouraging posters rather than the sledgehammer approach. The poster who brought his dispute onto this thread is one perfect example! He was treated with absolute respect by both me and the mod dealing with him. Neither of us were abusive or "power hungry" in our communication with him. He claimed to have gotten 22 warnings! He didn't. He had 22 PMs from a moderator who went above and beyond. So.. if I'm dealing with a problem moderator, I'm going to approach it similarly. I will give them a chance until it becomes clear that they're out of chances.

That mightn't happen as quickly as some posters might like. But I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt rather than go straight to banning.

Now at this stage ezeuol I'm going to bow out. I've explained as much as I can how things happen behind the scenes and I know I'm not going to convince those who don't want to be convinced.

The thread is throwing up some good ideas. These will all be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The problem with that is "engage with the mod" is synonymous with admit you were in the wrong (even if you weren't) and grovel for their forgiveness.

Anything less than complete submission is "refusing to engage".

Posters can sometimes feel like a warning is a personal affront and that the mod has it out for them and honestly, that is not the case. It's just an advisory to modify their posting style so it doesn't break any rules.

Except when it is the case?

As has been said already, and even admitted by some former mods on thread, mods can be dicks too, and have actioned or banned posters just because they didn't like them.

Until these issues are recognised as an abuse of privilege, and somehow addressed, the complaints about moderation will continue, and I can't see how things will ever change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That might be your own experience.

I've often engaged with posters and come to a mutual understanding. Depends on the situation of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,137 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If only but worth to keep trying but will mods see it as annoying pestering

I like the idea of threadbans expiring after a month

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's not true at all or at least not from my perspective. I'm not here to change the world or your own personal views. I don't need someone to apologise. I certainly don't need grovelling!

Civil discussion simply means, hi XYZ can you explain why I was warned for this?

That's a decent enough starting point.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They just circle the wagons in a nice formation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you say so.

I've seen them do the opposite, but there you go.

• Advertisement

The moving of this to feedback.is an attempt to sideline the debate and eventually to shuting it down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭yagan

If things are a lot quieter than back in the peak perhaps the modding shareload could be shared across all new posts rather than mods attached to particular topics.

I do think the reductive nature of reddit will eventually kill that site, but there's still a need for discussion forums like boards, and as another poster to this mentioned there may be a renewal for younger generations to simply have a place to discuss information relevant to Ireland and the EU without the profit driven click monsters like FB, twatter and now the publically traded Reddit. They thrive on argument and confrontation, whereas I find many useful bits of information here often by simply looking back through old threads.

Quite honestly, with the current site software I don’t really see how this can ever be fixed.

The UX was a just a huge downgrade. There’s no other way of putting it. I can’t see a single positive about about this system from an enduser’s point of view.

• I think you are misunderstanding me.

you apologise for having a different opinion, I am telling you there is no need to. It’s fine to have a different perspective to me. That doesn’t upset me.

• right, as I explained to Oscar, I don’t care that his opinion is different insofar as it’s not necessary to apologise.

perhaps you should put your pitchfork down and stop getting so animated over what I said.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a thousand times if the admins feel I’m doing a poor job they can and will let me know.

It may surprise you that I haven't had that many run-ins with mods.

But in my limited experience, some moderators you can come to - if not an agreement - than at least a middle ground.

Others are just dicks. 🤷

Of course, others have shared their experiences with me. My experience is not unique.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No its not, I moved it here myself because it belongs here and not in AH.

What a strange comment - considering there are 350 posts already in a couple of days.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn't have seen it as I don't venture there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,948 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is no such thing as "The Average Poster". But I would venture a guess that a big majority never have any interaction with the Mods. I very much doubt that you or any other non Mod poster knows all the stuff you claim to know about site wide moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pitchfork? Animated?

Yet again you demonstrate just how tone deaf your posting is, you are incapable of making a point without adding in a dig.

It's a horrible trait in a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If anything is to be considered I hope it is the role of formal dispute resolution. Because that procedure is simply a farce, I wonder if mods realise just how much contempt there is for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, I've had two rulings from one particular mod overruled when I disputed them, so there is some value in the dispute process.

The biggest issue I've seen is when mods can't draw a line between their own personal opinions and their moderation decisions. It's not great when they're obviously modding posts largely because they disagree with the views, opinions and even facts stated within.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one branded YOU as far right. I did refer to the far right trope that you brought up.

Boards is pretty good for dealing with extreme hate speech at present. Posts reported are dealt with generally within minutes or hours, maybe a day or two in rare cases. It's hard to see that hate speech legislation will present any serious challenge to Boards, so I've no idea why you think it's worth while bringing up here.

There is one kind hate speech that Boards seems happy to permit - the use of retard or retarded as a derogatory insult. Boards doesn't allow equivalent casual derogatory terms for gay people or black people or Jewish people, but does allow the term that relates to people with intellectual disabilities, who don't deserve the same level of protection, apparently.

You only have to read the forum on a regular basis to get a good handle on what is going on.

I never claimed to know everything about the moderation process but I do have my own experience, and the experience of others that has been shared with me. That, on top of what some former admins have shared on this thread, plus what I've read on the help desk and DRP forum, is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One issue that I've run into a few times, relates to the climate created by the fear of libel. You see so many active discussions shut down because of it, often ones that are currently highly prominent in daily life. The Donaldson thread being the most recent example. I appreciate the difficult situation the law has created for the site, but if folks can't talk about relevant and "hot" topics here, then they're just going to leave. Rightly or wrongly, people want to be free to engage in conversation. It's particularly frustrating when there is public reporting from various news sources, yet one can't reference it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Sunjava

There is so little traffic that the dominance of a few is a bit tiring. Conversation killers effectively. The volume of good dialogue is not enough to compensate for the .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't believe mods are the issue. Basic forums like plumbing, electrical and diy would have very little input from mods yet the plumbers and electricians that offer free advice have at least halved in numbers in recent years. Same with the amount of people asking questions in these forums.

Personally I think there was a massive reduction in traffic since Vanilla.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement