Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• no,

Odhran (owns the site)

Mike is the community manager/sole paid employee of boards (afaik)

Then yes it would be Admin, Cmod, Moderator

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

As has been said already, and even admitted by some former mods on thread, mods can be dicks too, and have actioned or banned posters just because they didn't like them.

The poster who said this wasn't a former mod. He claimed to be an acquaintance of former mods and Admins

They’d all admit to having banned posters they simply didn’t like. It’s a volunteer position and some people are just pricks. Easier to just get rid of some people than debate endlessly with them via PM and feedback threads

Now, I'd question the legitimacy of his claim that "all" admitted to banning posters they simply don't like. But I would wholeheartedly agree with banning posters rather than debate endlessly with them. I had to take that exact action on this thread yesterday.

But yes, everyone can be dicks. We're all people. None of us are above taking this personally and maybe reacting. Posters can be dicks. As can moderators. Both tend to be dealt with eventually.

• from my own perspective the problem with the site at the moment is the owners lack of engagement and refusal to as far as I can see explain why we’re stuck with this crap broken platform rather than moving elsewhere.

Vanilla is terrible but we just keep sending tickets to vanilla who in turn do F all or the bare minimum to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

IIRC there was more than one poster on the thread who claimed to be a former Admin / CMod / Mod.

But yes, everyone can be dicks. We're all people. None of us are above taking this personally and maybe reacting. Posters can be dicks. As can moderators. Both tend to be dealt with eventually.

100% agree that both posters and mods can be dicks. However the issue is when the mod is the one being a dick and the consequences fall on the poster, who may or may not have been a dick. Their only recourse then is to go to the Help Desk / Dispute Resolution, which rarely goes in favour of the poster.

There is a reason DRP its referred to as "circling the wagons" and why many just don't bother engaging in it.

That's the difference between a mod being a dick and a poster being a dick.

And if you're a poster, any actions against you remain in your moderation history, for any other moderator to then judge you by - whether it was fair or not.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I don't think anyone else claimed to ban people "just because they didn't like them" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,137 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How are mods and cmods decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Some mods poor behaviour is a serious issue. I think that has to be acknowledged by all at this stage. Of course poor behaviour is common amongst posters as well and I include myself in that but the difference is that there are consequences for posters but for mods, some seem to be given free reign. By that I mean, when giving warnings, they seem to be allowed to post in any manner they wish.

Now, this is not all mods but one mod in particular definitely does it and they even do it while regularly posting. It has even been pointed out on this thread. Shouldn't there be a system or set up where mods who consistently behave inappropriately receive some sort of punishment?

Obviously, mods are volunteers and most are good and honest. A free for all is not warranted. But a review system where if a mod with consistent poor behaviour should receive warning or possibly be removed as a mod. The reports would have to come from a large number of posters across the board of course and not just those who have received bans. Surely a system such as this can be put in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Having an opposing opinion is not a problem. A non Man United fan, going into the Man United thread and saying they are shite will get you a warning. That would be an opinion but expressed directly with an agenda in mind - i.e. trolling.

And there you have it, direct from a mod - it's not the opinion that counts, it's (in this case) what team your allegiance is to, that will decide, in conjunction with what you're saying, that will get you a warning.

Man Utd were by any measure shite yesterday; from what has been posted above, it's fine to state that if you're a Utd fan, but if you happen to express the same opinion on a discussion board, and are not a fan, the mind-reading mod(s) will know that you have an agenda other than discussion, and are trolling.

Anyone who can't see why that may be an issue has no place on the moderation team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I’ve been on this site with two different accounts (and about 5 different names) since about 2003, when Dangerhere.com was blown away.

In that time I’ve had 1 temp forum ban for being naughty, and it was deserved and was delivered by a mod who I have a huge amount of respect for. I had one thread ban where I pm’d the mod immediately after and when he explained why I was thread banned, I saw it from his point of view. However in the same pm sequence he said “look, you’ve engaged with me reasonably, you’ve accepted where you were our opinions differ but have been fair and engaging so threadban lifted”

In old vbulletin I had one red flag rescinded, again where I engaged with the mod.

I probably had one or two yellows over the years too

I was recently warned for a comment. I didn’t bother engaging with that mod. Not because the warning was fair but because that mod in particular is one of the worst I’ve seen here over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But, in that case, it’s not the opinions, as such, it’s the baiting/flaming/trolling that will get you in “trouble”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Speaking of Vanilla, what's the recent upgrade that changed sharing or editing of links all about?

And quoting of posts seems to not work about half the time.

What a crappy interface. Any chance we can revert to the previous version?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You don't come across as the ideal person to be modding a place you are so unhappy with.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's amazing how someone cannot understand that, clearly explained but still cannot get their head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly, and this is were people then go to Dispute Resolution with their "I was banned for no reason" stick.

• Beasty gets an awful grueling on here but in my experience, by far the best person in authority to deal with.

Always straight forward and doesn't make it up as he goes along like others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

totally agree. The only ones who seem to have an issue with him would be the same types who would have had an issue with Dav of the old days.

• tell big bag of chips then, or one of the other admins here, I’m sure theyll more than happy to help with your complaint.

• I honestly don’t know what goes on in the background there Andrew it’s above my pay grade I guess you’d say 🤣

Site development is not within the mods remit that’s for odharan and Mike I would guess? Maybe admins but I don’t think even they have any input there themselves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

When there is a mod vacancy for a forum, the Cmods assigned to the category where the forum is located conduct a search.

This mod search is to be conducted confidentially per policy. Cmods cannot advertise vacancies to members for mods in the forum. Hurt feelings can result.

Typically Cmods will look at the most frequent posters of the forum for possible candidates. Before Vanilla a simple request to Admin was made for the top 10 or 20 most prolific posters. Admin was quite quick to respond historically. Now with Vanilla the Admin dashboard lacks the quick push button most prolific posters function. A cumbersome Cmod search remains.

Cmods with few forums in their categories may already have some knowledge of possible candidates, as well as those with a history of trouble making that may affect their ability to mod fairly.

If the forum already has an existing co-mod or more, they can be asked to recommend mod candidates from the forum members. Once again, these co-mods must insure that this search is confidential per policy, and cannot contact members to see if they may be interested in modding. Although a forum mod with “boots on the ground” recommendations are taken seriously, there are no guarantees that their candidates will be ultimately selected for proposed mod to Admin.

Then again, it is wise for Cmods to consult with the existing forum co-mods about a candidate before proposing to Admin. Cmods can also consult with their fellow category Cmod, as well as chatting about a potential candidate in the private and confidential Cmods forum where all categories Cmods can contribute. Furthermore, it’s common for Administrators to view and participate in the private Cmods forum.

If no qualified candidates emerge from this process, Cmods are allowed to post the vacancy in the private and confidential moderators forum to see if existing mods may be interested. To increase confidentiality, interested mods generally PM the Cmod rather than reply by posting in the mod forum. Obviously it’s easy for Cmods to evaluate existing mods.

Once one or more possible candidates have been discovered, a close examination of their records are conducted, including the reading of several of their posts in both the forum with the vacancy and in other forums on the site. Members who exhibit forum topics knowledge, and grand thread contributions, while not violating the forum or site charters and guidelines bubble to the top. Occasionally members with problems exhibited early after joining, but later clean up their act are also considered as candidates.

When a Cmod feels confident that their candidate may be an excellent choice, they then propose them to Admin. In a few days Admin decides. If no, the Cmod may look at other candidates that emerged from the above process and propose them.

If Admin approves, only then may the Cmod contact the candidate to see if they may be interested. If yes, Admin is contacted by Cmod and asked to push the magic buttons.

Apologies if I missed something. It’s Easter and my turn to cook.

Sorry for making your eyes bleed with this long post, but Cmods typically take this mod search very seriously, because if the mod fails, they can hurt the forum and site, while giving the Cmod a colossal headache, as well as raise questions as to their competency.

Cmods are selected by Admin, so best to have one of them address that part of your question.

Cheers and happy Easter!

Fathom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Jesus, selecting a new Pope sounds less complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

At the end of the day, it's a free site with one employee and a bunch of people who give up their free time to keep the site going. Like it or lump it. Happy Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What do anecdotes add to discussion in these type of threads?

An example Newposter123 joins and their first post is about how they saw people from country xyz dump their pushchair at the bus stop but they have also know a friend or family member working in social protection and they have been told they have a warehouse of them so the person from country xyz can collect a new one later that afternoon.

There is nothing factual or verified and it's an extreme example but it's clearly posted to stir up hate against people from country xyz.

I think what threads like CA need is more fact checking. The amount of link dumps posted from random Twitter\X users and dubious sites is a plague on the site.

Also I understand this is not practical from a moderation point of view to fact check what is posted so I do not really have a solution but I think it's one reason why some posters avoid posting in threads like CA now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is having to cook for someone part of the process?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Only if they are the winner of Hell’s Kitchen for a cooking forum! Thanks for your craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ok, so what's the difference between the example you gave and another poster saying that they live close to an accommodation centre for people from country xyz and that they are all very friendly lovely individuals?? That's anecdotal too.

In practice both are equally likely to be true or untrue, but whilst the latter will be passed over without a glance, your example may well draw a warning or threadban.

You might as well shut down these threads as have this sort of censorship threat hanging the Sword of Damocles over posters.

My limited experience of threadbans is that it's like or lump it - take it or leave. So I guess that's what users do after a while - they just re-reg a new account as it's the only way around what are effectively permanent threadbans. So make them a month and then expire them. Better system as long as not abused.

"A mod cannot act on any post that doesn’t break the rules."

LOL, that gave me a good laugh!! That is exactly the complaint of many here - moderator actions for posts that don't break site rules, charters or specific thread advice. That are done on a whim, that are very subjective. Surely you've seen this in your time here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I do not see where in the mod warnings you re-posted where it's called out as to what the subject of the anecdote is?

Did you report an anecdotal post on one of them threads like you described and it was not actioned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement