Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

9 wins from immortality for Jurgen

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Arsenal have taken 4 points each from Liverpool and City this season, that has to be respected. I have probably a similar feeling to you that Arsenal are a bit fragile, maybe based on history, but they haven't really shown it this season. Considering they're a point ahead of City, to dismiss Arsenal seems a bit premature, imo. I remember being convinced after they beat us a few weeks ago, they'd lose their next game away to West Ham as that's kinda what I just expected them to do. They beat them 5-0. They're not going anywhere I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You're right I gave us 2 and took 2 off City instead of 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

the rules for VAR - I don’t have a good picture, but the Diaz lines looked to overlap, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,537 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We could be in 3rd come Wednesday. You'd expect Arse Man to win on Wednesday, dropping us to 3rd. Of course we play Thursday, at home to Sheffield,to not win that would be criminal.

Again next Saturday, same scenario, Arse Man play before us, we're away to United Sunday though, so again could be 3rd if we lose that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

city would need to beat Villa by 5 to go above us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm immediately dreading next Sunday already. The thoughts of UTD spoiling us in 2 competitions this season is unbearable...especially considering how awful they're!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I feel the opposite is true and their luck will run out, can't wait to play them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Villa are missing a few players tbf. McGinn is still suspended, Kamara is out and Watkins is a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I said it last year and looked like an idiot as they won 3 trophies, but I still don't think he has made them better. Their side that won 100 points and then 98 points in 2017-18 and 2018-19 I think were better than this and last year's teams. The issue they had, they ran into us in the Champions League in 17/18 and then Tottenham in 18/19 where they were unlucky with an tight offside in the last few minutes. In both those seasons had they won those matches they probably would have gone on to win the Champions League.

But much like my protestations that too much is made of winning a World Cup rugby compared to being a consistent winner for the years previously, you just point to the trophies and my argument falters. He still scares me when we have to play them as he is a brilliant player, but he has not made them a brilliant team as they were that before he joined them.

My one stat that goes for me, they scored 106 goals in 17/18, 95 in 18/19, 102 in 19/20, 83 in 20/21, 99 in 21/22 and those were the years before he joined them. They were never shy of scoring goals. Last year they scored 94 in the league and he scored 36 and only Foden scored more than 10 in the league as well. In 17/18 the had 4 players score more than 10 and David Silva scored 9 in the league, in 18/19 they had 3 players scoring more than 10 and in 19/20 they had 5 players scoring more than 10 goals in the Premier League. In 21/22 they had 3 players scoring more than 10 again, but you had Rodri scoring 7, Silva 8, Jesus 8, Gundogan 8 and Foden 9.

Basically a very good player joined a very good team and plays very well. But whether he has made them a better team is up for debate. By only looking at one trophy he has, they won the Champions League which they never did before. But other metrics shows it is not clear cut as they only reached 89 points last year to win the title and this is their lowest total since the Covid year when they won with 86 points and they are scoring less goals.

Either way, I am glad he fluffed some of the lines again today as we are now a loss ahead of City and it gives us some breathing room. I still don't think Arsenal will win out so if we match City's results we should be champions again. Easier said than done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's such a tough week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

City have the easiest run in, followed by us and then Arsenal have to play away to chelsea, villa, spurs and utd i think.

City's hardest game is their next one away to Villa, i think they'll win all their other games handy enough.

If needs be we rest players in the Europa, but the league must be the priority,

• Advertisement

I believe the West Ham game will be put back to the Sunday 2pm (rather than Saturday 12:30), should Arsenal knock out Bayern Munch in the CL. Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fulham are very good at home, 9 wins. That and the united away are my worries, I'm confident we win all remaining home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I think city might have Spurs away, just not set cause of the fa cup and Spurs do love sticking it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Had to laugh at this one when skimming through todays posts - we could only wish they'd drawn Diaz line through his boot, as that might've put him onside. Screwing us would've been the opposite - drawing his line further in front of his boot to make him look farther ahead than he was.

Anyway, great results today. We'll only know come the end of the season which result in Manchester truly suited us best, but on balance it's hard to argue against both teams dropping the max points possible between them.

Showings like today are what make Brighton and De Zerbi interesting. Their tactics have a bit of everything built into them, unlike most successful underdogs. They can break like lightning, but can also control the game when they need to. And to be putting in performances like this after losing last year's incredible midfield of Mac Allister and Caicedo, and Mitoma out with a long term injury, is pretty remarkable.

Macca our player of the season? Looking like it. The CB's are always looking to get him on the ball. Endo's emergence to adapt and read the PL as a functioning 6 (after a shaky 'thrown in the deep end' start) has allowed Macca to shine further forward. I noticed after his assist for Salah's winner today, Endo pointed immediately to Macca and the 2 celebrated together before joining their team-mates. These 2 are must-starters in the first X1. The other spot is between Szlob (who has waned after his injury, tbf) and Jones.

Lads… cannot wait till Jota is back… United game? If he comes back on form, we win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Still top, with Jota and Trent, to come back, woth Curtis and Ibou as well.

Ticking along nicely, we just need an even shake from lady luck, referees and fixtures. 2/3 are doing their best to fvck us, but that's Ok - we keep on going.

This is how the run-in looks for the 3 teams.

VVD for me. He's very close to being the PL POTY in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I had to do a double take on that one too...surely drawing the line through his boot would only benefit the attacking player in an offside situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You're forgetting the best keeper in the world there.

Which is huge credit to Caoimhin. 👍

Absolutely.

There was no shortage of bad work from the reffing team - I always dread having either Coote or Tierney involved, and having the pair of em together is a nightmare for us - but the offside wasn't one of 'em. I do really miss the days of 'level' though. Felt a very important part of the offside rule, which is now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Same. No matter who's been beside him, he looks unruffled. Imperious this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm actually thinking Joe Gomez is in with a shout. He's done everything for us this season bar score. He may not have any one position to call his own but he has done admirably in any role we gave him across the back 4 or midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm not saying that we will win our next 9 games or even that it's likely.

But, I think we could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭antimatterx

if by 3pm on April 27th we have won all 6 league games until then it's done. It's so done.

We need Trent and Jota back ASAP I think though.

• Advertisement

Yea, all possible though. Villa is probably too big a club for Haaland though, but I'm sure someone will step up with goals for City to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I won't be popular but I think Joe's performances, particularly his recent ones have been over egged.

There was a serious amount of relief, certainly on my part, that he came through that dodge period where we had neither LB fit.

I don't think he is anywhere near POTY for us. Allison, Kelleher, VVD, Mac, Endo, Jota, Salah and a few others way ahead of him.

He still scares the absolutely crap out of me when he has the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

City v Spurs likely for May 14th? that would be a tough week for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

He is not a fraud, I believe the term you are looking for is flat track bully. He is most definitely a flat track bully but someone who almost guarantees you goals, and therefore wins against the smaller teams is worth their weight in gold tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Very important win today. Good to be on top of the table. Always one or two surprise results in a run in. Hopefully City and Arsenal make a mistake or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, there was a sense of close to perfect from that team but they couldn't win the CL. By foregoing perfection for the threat of haaland they got over the line.

He hasn't got the ability to play the old city style but his danger in front of goal is of the highest level and that helped city win so much last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Great win and we rode our luck today but will be great to get jota, Jones, konate etc back. trent will be grand too but I'm happier with Bradley at right back as he is a much better defender and as much of an attacking threat too, I know we were cut open a few times today down his wing but imagine if trent was there, I'm convinced it would have been twice as bad as trent is a brutal defender especially with no konate to help him, also Elliott is a great player but pity he is missing that extra bit of top end speed, if he had it he would be as good as foden in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

I’m afraid Spurs will have nothing to play for and will roll over for city. Also If arsenal are still in the hunt , fans won’t wanna be doing Arsenal any favours. Hopefully Arsenal are out of the race by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Spurs and United away, Villa and Chelsea at home for Arsenal. Brighton away next weekend too and going off the game they gave ye at Anfield today that's not a gimme either. Either way... hopefully one of us pips City to the league.

LOL

Yea I copped that too, straight after I posted, that it would have help had the lines ran through his boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Great 3 points yesterday, against a good Brighton team. We need Jota, Trent and Jones back soon to help with rotation….so many games ahead.
    We also need some players to up their game.
    Salah was poor yesterday, apart from the goal of course. He loses the ball too much.
    Diaz was good yesterday but he loses the ball far too much also. Makes dreadful decisions at times.
    Darwin was anonymous yesterday as he was against United.
    Szoboszlai was anonymous for the first half yesterday. Improved in the second half. He started off brilliantly for the first few games of the season, but then dropped a level. I don't think he's returned since to his early form. He's not playing like a £60 million player.
    MacAllister was superb again.
    I don't know what's wrong with Gakpo. He only played for 10 mins or so, but managed to display a lazy attitude in that time.

Wouldn't have said Nunez was anonymous in either of those games tbh… wasn't particularly brilliant today, but was still involved. And he assisted two of the three goals against Utd - lovely control and tee-up for Macca's finish for the first, and he took the shot that the keeper could only parry onto Mo's feet for the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This was really a typical Liverpool performance against a good team. Brighton have had to learn to play in Europe and the Premier League and I think that has affected them. They have also suffered with injuries to key players and with them not having a deep squad like we do or City, any injury will hurt them. They are still 9th in the table and still dangerous as well. They also lost 2 important players in midfield before the season so I don't think we need to overlook how good of a job De Zerbi has done or how difficult they are to play against.

As for the Gakpo analysis, maybe it is just a preconceived view you have of him that is colouring your view. I think the whole team was nervous the last 10 minutes and were not thinking straight. We messed up another break where we had a 2 on 1 with Salah and Diaz, score that and we did not need to be nervous and Gakpo's style would not have looked out of place for the score line.

I think a lot of the negative views we have of players is not that much based on reality but what we want to think. Remember how Lucas Leiva was always lambasted for any small error where Gerrard would be excused when he made an error for what he brings to the team. Recent examples for me is that Keita was a waste of space but Thiago was class when both had a similar injury record. I think this year would have informed people's opinion about Thiago but if you compared them last year opinions were a lot more harsh towards Keita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

This new Haaland isn't actually that good narrative is one of the dumbest things I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Football media is a self referencing spiral, so get used to it, it'll be the story for the next week or so

Plus, he's useless 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

I think the "problem" is that top level CBs can keep him in their pockets and the fact he doesn't influence play outside of scoring means he's basically a passenger against top sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

might not have scored it 🤷‍♂️

if my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Advertisement
Advertisement