Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

feic - look at all the letters after your name - can you name them all? 😀

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's never the case at all. The thing about thread bans is that they can't be enforced from a system point of view so require the posters restraint from engagement in that particular thread.

So by showing said restraint for a period of time (and assuming the poster hasn't picked up any other warnings for similar behaviour elsewhere on the site) if they then contact the mod and request the thread ban be lifted then I'd absolutely consider lifting said ban. Indeed I have done on many occasions in the past. Don't use thread bans as much nowadays granted in the forums I currently mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

what the hell…..

that Long John Silver post. Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No - the moderator in question tends to disallow some posts and issue warning on the basis that they are 'anecdotal'. But the judgement of what is or isn't 'anecdotal' seems to be purely up to them. It's a ridiculous thing to try and define but there you go?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is the kind of CT nonsense we have to put up with in current affairs as mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you think my previous example of anecdotal should be allowed and does it add anything to a discussion thread?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In a topics which can be highly emotive it's much better to focus on facts that can be proven though rather than what Billy Bob's sister in law's experience was.

Anecdotes from either side don't really add anything to a discussion imo, you just get a bunch of posts arguing that X or Y is talking nonsense with no real way of either proving what they have said is the truth.

So the whole thread ends up being derailed by "he said, she said" stuff rather than a discussion on the actual topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It must be an Easter miracle.

I actually heartily agree with Furze99 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

LOL indeed. The complaint of “many” here, and in the “Dispute Resolution” forum, is that they’ve been unfairly targeted, and totally innocent, when they’ve clearly broken site rules.

You’d swear butter wouldn’t melt in the mouths of the lads in that forum, always blaming the mods for their inability to not be a dick. Claiming they just have the “wrong” opinions and the mods don’t like it. Really low quality users, who’s dreadful record on the site usually comes up in the conversation.

Now, it should be pointed out, that there is nothing in the rules against having these “wrong” opinions. In fact, many users share them but, unlike the whiney lads in the DP forum, they can express them without breaking any of the, actual, site rules.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why are you reluctant to speak for yourself?

You're clearly not happy doing a voluntary job, why continue?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

All you're doing at this point BBoC is making it a bigger red flag.

You're showing what is an all too familiar approach of mods on the site in general and feedback threads in particular to take any pointed feedback that cuts too close to the bone of the situation that exists in reality as being intended as a direct insult at the people involved. Which I've pointed out twice that that is not the case.

Even if you step back for a second and read your third paragraph here you'll see you are describing a site where moderation, is subjective and inconsistent across the site from forum to forum. How can that be an appropriate approach to help create an environment where there aren't widespread accusations of biased mod intervention?

Long time members and contributors to the site have been saying for years now how big a problem moderation is and there is zero, I mean zero, evidence of the site acknowledging this or taking steps to resolve/overcome this issue.

The last time there was a feedback thread on this topic, one of the mods, who has posted here today posted something very close to the following.

'Let me be clear, when you are banned from a thread it is 100% because of you, not the moderator'

And now you are making it clear how ad hoc and inconsistent this moderation is to the point that someone as involved and committed as you are and have been struggles to navigate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

As far as I can see, the problems are multifold and complex. Others are keen to stress there are no problems other than problem posters. They stress the simplicity of the process and the rules.
    I think my exchange with Shamobuc sums it all up.
    I'm addressing a cultural issue within the forum's management, calling for acknowledgment of universal fallibility. Everybody is human. ShamoBuc focuses on the mechanisms/rules in place for dealing with reports, which doesn't directly address the concern of moderator accountability and the perception of bias that I'm highlighting (especially that both poster and mod are capable of bias/bad behavior/being dicks).
    In essence, I sought acknowledgment of a principle (that moderators can also behave poorly and should be held accountable), while ShamoBuc is focused on explaining the process, perhaps missing the point about the need for self-reflection and openness to criticism within the moderator team. This indicates a misunderstanding primarily on the part of ShamoBuc regarding the nature of complaints. It's not a one way system.
    Moderators are volunteers and their time is important. Tasked with maintaining order, enforcing rules, and fostering a positive community atmosphere, takes significant effort and time. Given that this role is unpaid, mods have limited time and resources to dedicate to each concern. There's hesitancy to be pulled into anything outside of black and white rules.
    There are also mods in here that have said they learned something. They show open-mindedness and understanding. I don't think you'll find them in the dispute section. This kind of interaction fosters a positive community atmosphere. The other does not. It pitches posters as dicks, farcical, and wasting time.

I'd propose a system. A post is flagged, whether by a mod or another poster. A mod must come to a judgement but not on his own. His decision whether warning, suspension, or just leave it, must be presented to another mod and another poster to adjudicate on its fairness. This process would involve both independent mods/posters perspectives.
    Implementing a system where both moderators and regular posters are involved in adjudicating decisions about flagged content could significantly enhance fairness and transparency.

By involving another moderator and a regular poster in the decision-making process, it ensures multiple perspectives are considered. This reduces the likelihood of bias or unilateral decisions.

Establishing a transparent process, where decisions are reviewed by both a peer (another moderator) and a community member (a poster), can build trust. It demonstrates that the forum values fairness and is willing to subject its own decisions to scrutiny.

Including regular posters in the adjudication process gives the community a voice in its governance, fostering a sense of ownership and responsibility among members.

This system can also support moderators by providing a framework for feedback and discussion on their decisions, potentially offering new insights or considerations.

• you’ve a very weird habit of putting words in my mouth Rows.

like everyone (or well, most of the year base here), I can clearly see problems with Vanilla that have gone unaddressed. Perhaps they are being addressed in the background but as far as I can see there’s no major reason given as to why we’re still stuck with vanilla when it’s clearly, to be blunt, rubbish.

I’m not the only mod not to mention user who’s said this in the past both distant and recent. It’s said almost daily.

I’d love to know where in all of that you seem to have managed to gather “I hate being a mod”. If I didn’t want to, I wouldn’t have agreed to be, I certainly wouldn’t continue either.

If by simply inviting anyone who seems to think I’m a “bad” mod to address that with the relevant Cmod or Admins comes across like I can’t wait to be demodded, I don’t think I’m doing a poor job. I could think of a handful of people who think otherwise with a burning passion, but that said, those same individuals wouldn’t exactly make a top 10 list of “boards best posters”, so I won’t lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Bring back down votes.

• The migration to the new vanilla platform, or whatever its called, was like administering mild poison to an already aging dinosaur. Call it as it is. It hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I think this is the problem, it's incestuist, mods selecting similar mods over the years, it ends up with inbreds and this is where we are at in 2024.

Mod Note: Keep it civil please

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dan Steely

Good thread. Fair play to all, esp the mods for their open engagement.

• I'm not defending mods, but its been their goodwill (free time, effort, and much frustration I'm sure) that has kept Boards.ie going. I still cant figure out why they do it. If they go, surely Boards is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Should be a sticky. Lots of info here that a lot of people didn't realise before.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I moderate 2 forums. I moderate them to the letter of the Charter.

There are many forums across the whole of Boards. Of course moderation will vary. What you might get away with in After Hours for example will not be tolerated in Personal Issues.

I am a moderator of 2 forums. I am not in charge of moderating anywhere else on the site. No Admin is. As an admin we have a few extra tools and if someone flags a post as a rereg/spammer/shill etc we check and try identify if that is the case. Sometimes I can't tell for sure and leave it to one of the more experienced Admins who might have a better eye for spotting tell tale signs.

As an admin I primarily ban spammers and reregs. I vote on whether to approve proposed mods. I pick up the occasional DRP. I am not in charge of moderation across the entire site. None of the admins are. Moderators and category moderators generally look after that, as they are the ones with the best knowledge of their area. They only call in Admins for advice or help if needed or in the case of a DRP. At that point we will investigate, read up, look at the events surrounding the dispute. I do not know nor am I expected to know every nook and cranny of the site.

Some of the admins who are here a lot longer will know a lot more, purely because they've dealt with a lot more. And aren't we lucky that we have very experienced Admins working alongside less experienced admins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Baseball72

The previous site used to show how many people were logged in - members and those visiting the site.

Ever since that function was not carried over to the new site, you’ve no idea when are browsing at say 2am, if you are alone looking into a void so to speak, or part of an active community….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yep. I know I'm repeating myself to an extent - but there's loads of sub-forums in here where moderation has always been light touch, discussions are and were always civil - and yet the traffic in all of those sub-forums has died a death as well. Moderation can't be the root cause in those cases - which make up the majority of subs on the site - to explain why traffic and posting has gradually declined over the years site wide.

You'd be forgiven for thinking reading through this thread that you have to consistently walk on eggshells to post on boards. I've been here since 2008 and I have never received a warning, a card, a ban: nothing. And I don't think I'm unusual - most posters never come to mod attention.

The only time that I can recall when I felt like questioning a mod decision was on a regional sub-forum, years ago, when I started a thread and it was locked by the relevant mod because they felt there was already another thread that was similar etc, etc. I PM'd the mod, explained my reasoning for opening the thread that I did and how it was a thread worthy subject in its own right. The mod said fair enough and re-opened it. So mods can change their minds.

Obviously, a proportion of people are going to fall foul of mods etc and, rightly or wrongly, will feel aggrevievd, stifled etc - but that's not the experience of the vast majority of users. Most posters don't have any interaction with mods.

Rewind the clock back to 2008/09/10 when the site was hopping. There were even more mods than now. There was even more warnings than now. There were even more bannings than now. More threads being locked than now - but yet the site was still booming.

The site is in decline because time has moved on. Fifteen years ago the age profile of the site was people in their twenties and thirties. Now people in their twenties wouldn't bother using a message board like this and a lot of the other boardsies have moved on in their lives.

Message boards across the internet are dying out because people increasingly don't use them anymore. Boards is a message board - its fate is no different than any other message board on planet earth. Boards is slowly dying because ALL message boards are slowly dying. Moderation, whether the lack of or the perceived over zealous application of, is not going to change this fundamental fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The move to the Vanilla setup is seen as such a negative but, without it, the site would have shutdown.

And while it may not be a “like for like” switch it’s still better than nothing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Is it better than nothing though?

Threads that used to be hopping are dead.

The Forum Games section, one of the busiest and most active on Boards had to set up their own site outside of Boards.

Similar with other sections that now chat elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,948 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The OP must be having a great laugh at what they stirred up. No further contribution from them after post #1. Perhaps the all powerful Mods have disappeared them?? They started this thread in After Hours, worried about the future of Boards. But judging by their previous efforts, I don't think they have a genuine interest in that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

IGN Boards, Archive of Our Own, and GameFAQs have millions of users. Reddit has over 100,000 communities. But you can go over there and see threads on how reddit is dying. I know people like to **** on Reddit on boards.ie but I honestly think it's down to being afraid of something newer. Can't understand how anyone could just dismiss it. It's simply about moving with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Realistically wont happen. Thats how all social media companies make money. Click bait in order to cause controversy and people raging at each other is a huge business model and most of them dont know what else to do.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

I always find it weird when a poster starts creeping around another poster’s history and then presents it like some major gotcha and think they deserve some prize (maybe a modship?) like a smarmy teacher’s pet.

-------------------------------------------------------

Warned: Attack the post, not the poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement