Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The fella's come on in leaps and bounds this season, been really good. He has such a huge impact on games, both directly - a goal or assist every 92 minutes - and indirectly through pulling defenders around for someone else to have space. Rather than someone to be worried about, his improvement is one of the reasons they're in the title race.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're counted among the official fouls though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's kinda semantics though, right? I think the point being made is that not one challenge, of which there were many including some very cynical ones, resulted in a card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Including the challenge from behind on Rodri by Odegaard. Free was given but it looked on first viewing like a blatant yellow - maybe a smile and a hand out to Rodri is enough these days. The standard of yellow cards in the Liverpool game was a joke by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lets not pretend City didn't commit a number of yellow card fouls themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The difference between refereeing in the 2 games today was hilarious.

Like.2 different sports today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say I was very surprised that Alvarez didn't get a run out, he can score from the edge of the box which is exactly what was needed for City I think.

And why Havertz was left on the pitch confused me, he was invisible for most of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Martinelli wasn't dropped, he's been injured. Saka isn't right either, that's why he came off.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wouldn't bother responding. The same person was saying we were playing conservative because we were starting 4 CBs, despite those 4 CBs playing in the "best periods" he's seen this year against Newcastle. He can't seem to figure out that Treble winning Man City might be a better side than Newcastle. If you read through the last few pages it's been constantly about Arsenal and how they're the worst of the current Top 3 despite being them being Top of the 'Top 3 Mini League'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Topping that mini league will mean sweet f**k all if they're not holding the title in May. I felt if Arsenal were to win it this season, they had to go and try get a win today. Their remaining fixtures compared to City are awful.

Spurs away is the only game now where City can potentially drop points. Arsenal run of fixtures on the run in are not exactly kind. I think they'll now finish in 3rd behind Liverpool with City going on to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If Arsenal aren't holding the title in May, it won't be because they took 4 points to 1 against both Man City and Liverpool.

Taking a win and a draw against title rivals is a good return for any team. There are much more sensible places to shine the spotlight if Arsenal come up short again.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

With the fixture run in, and if they want to win it this season, they needed to take 3 points yesterday regardless of what happened in the previous 28 games.

Obviously looking over the season as a whole, taking 8 points from your 2 main title rivals is a positive. But I felt yesterday was a must win for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure if this should be in the humour thread or here. Massive amounts of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had there been an increase in players talking about refereeing lately? Noticed it after the Liverpool City game too after Doku's challenge, they were all complimenting the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nobody beats City at the Etihad, so what Arteta did was totally justified in the end. A draw was better for Arsenal. That's unequivocal.

I think fans are frustrated because they've been conditioned to City/Liverpool matches for top of the table clashes. It was never going to be that. And Arsenal don't have to pander to neutrals of all people.

I think also, some fans have been irked by some of the hype around Arsenal, so they came into it wanting them to actually show them something really noteworthy. Going full Mourinho wasn't really what many thought was going to happen when the team has been hyped as being City's equals and certainly better than Liverpool.

Bottom line is, Arteta did what he felt he had to do. And it worked. Some neutrals fooled themselves into thinking this would be a statement performance from Arsenal, and are being critical because they didn't get it. Even though City were as bad. People just think because City had the ball that they were controlling it. They were as riskless in possession as Arsenal were out of possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

The only thing that could have made it funnier would be if Rodri had put him up to it. It is April Fool's Day after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I see Pep publically berated Grealish after the final whistle, Grealish not looking too happy about it but refrained from arguing back. Pep then set off as peacemaker between Haaland & Gabriel.

So will Spurs decide where the league title goes? They face all three teams.

Lost to Arsenal at home, beat Liverpool at home and drew with City away this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa have all 3 to play too and the one who should probably be most worried are Liverpool since that’s the one at Villa Park (even if we have become a little less invincible there than we used to be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

spurs are top of the mini league of the current top 6. Drew away to arsenal, didn’t lose. They’ll take points off all 3 next month potentially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

pity the top 3 don’t play each other in the run in. United will kick themselves that they aren’t closer to villa and Spurs cos those 2 have tough finishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's all for show. Just typical of the modern manager.

Whatever happened the managers just walking down the tunnel after the final whistle? Now they have to parade around the pitch for the cameras. All about pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I didn’t see the game yesterday as I was at Croke Park. I’m glad I went by the sounds of things. Arteta did the right thing for Arsenal. It’s puke football but sometimes it needs to be done. Newcastle did it to Arsenal last season that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Hamstring injury. Doesn’t sound serious, but I wouldn’t expect him to play against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arsenal have lost home and away to city in the league for the last 6 seasons. 4 points is a damn fine return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

but yesterday he didn’t have the whip to his shots . Not at all like him

It's almost like the same players can play, but have a different plan / role within the game. And that comes down to instructions from the manager.

There are countless examples of players playing one role within one game, and then playing a different role within another. Kyle Walker made his name for Spurs as a full back who bombed up the field as an overlapping full back, and started that way for Man City, In some games starting playing more conservative and more like a 3rd CB at times, whereas next week he would nearly be a RM. He could switch roles in different games but he would still be called a RB on paper.

It's clear that Arteta had his players play differently in the game at the Ethiad than they had in previous games. But I think he went too extreme in his switch and didn't retain any of the periods of sustained pressure. Calming down the attacking play a bit is fine, but he did a full 180 switch on it. That was intentional and I think it hurt Arsenal as Man City have shown this season that they can concede when put on periods of pressure. Arteta missed a trick here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Arsenal are to be commended for taking 4 points from Man City this season. Arteta obviously learned from the away game last season, Arsenal went to attack on that occasion and Man City picked them off to win 4-1. That result saw Man City leap frog them and go 2 points clear with 5 games to play. If they had instead got a 0-0 result that day they would have been more likely to put up a fight for the last few fixtures and finished the season as league winners.

• Advertisement

I see Stones is struggling to be fit again for the Villa match. City are feeling the effects of that last season, their treble exploits and a WC as well. Haaland, KDB, Alvarez also struggling. Keeps the league interesting.

They kept a clean sheet against Arsenal at the weekend with the defense they'll have if Stones isn't fit. And Villa won't have Watkins.

Villa are missing a few players now - McGinn, Kamara, Ramsey, Watkins. It's a good time for Arsenal & Man City to play Villa while they are depleted big players.

Isak trending towards turning into a superstar. Five consecutive games with a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Add in Mings and Buendia injuries it’s a credit to Emery to get us where we are. Hopefully McGinn, Ramsey & Watkins should be available for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why are there 2 fixtures on at 17.30 and 18.00 this Sunday evening?

Spurs - Forest was originally on Monday night but moved back to Sunday because of train strikes iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And Sheffield United at 5.30 PM is because of the Sheffield Marathon on Sunday morning. (The game couldn't be a Saturday 3pm as Sheffield United play Thursday this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

any reason to think they will all be still out for Arsenal game?

• Advertisement

Got my fixtures mixed up and thought that Arsenal played Aston Villa this weekend, not next weekend. McGinn's suspension won't extend that far alright and then we can see whether Watkins & Ramsey are back. Hopefully there are!

All of those bar Kamara should be back for Arsenal. It’s City who hit the timing jackpot

What the hell where Leicester at. Also shows United should have no fpp issues and City must have a creative accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Villa looking like they could be about to go on a selling spree if thats in any way accurate.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the United figure will be much higher for this season. the 22/23 season we were not in the CL, so most players would have been on ~20/25% less than they have been this season. So we'll see far higher wages for this season. But then we will have a 'low' wage amount next season again as we won't be in the CL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The other interesting aspect is the new PL proposals on cost caps are based on squad cost rather than overall profits/losses I believe - similar to Uefa (70/80% for next season, can't remember which). So even just looking at wages, a lot of PL teams will struggle under that cost cap. Interesting to see what Villa will do if they make the CL - or even how they comply with Uefa for this season in the EL.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Have United any fit centre halves for Chelsea and Liverpool games this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Villa have been spending alot building a squad in the hope of CL football, with a 5 spot now opening up you'll see more clubs in that top 10 pushing for it.

Leicester look like they will be starting with a deficit in points when they are promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Big saving on De Gea and Ronaldo wages for ye as well for this season which woul be in the 2023 figures.

spurs have an interesting run of games now. After they play Forest at home they travel to Newcastle, then tne North London Derby, then away to Liverpool. They are lucky that Utd, New, Brighton, can’t string a run together.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement