Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭bren2001

Duff is a better pick. Robbie Keane is a better pick. They actually have managerial experience. Stephen Bradley is a better pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Duff won't take it now, he was in the papers a few weeks ago saying how the FAI spoke to him through an intermediary but he knew it was just lip service.

Keane would require club compensation which the FAI wouldn't be able to pay.

Bradley was never in the picture after Kenny the FAI were never going to hire another LOI manager.

Any realistic ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Robbie Keane, lol!

Should be ran like a dog after his behavior over the last few years.

They’re not realistic because you believe so? Nonsense.

Does that make him less qualified than JOS? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we're seriously looking at O'Shea, then I'd actually just rather Lennon.

I'd also rather O'Shea's assistant, Paddy McCarthy ahead of him - he's far more highly rated (8 years as a key figure for Crystal Palace), and the only reason he's behind O'Shea is cause John's more famous (which was fine on a temporary basis, adding a bit more pageantry to the friendlies). Like it's worth remembering that even of the lads with only assistant experience, O'Shea should probably be down that list a bit, with only a few short stints in unsuccessful teams. Open to correction here - but I don't actually think O'Shea's ever even had 'right hand man' status in any of his club jobs? Has always been more of a coach, with other lads there as the actual assistant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

I’m definitely of the opinion the Ireland manager should be Irish, as long as there’s someone who has done enough to warrant a shot, and Bradley has. Same as Kenny had. JoS hasn’t. Likeable and all as he is, and he could certainly do the gig some day, but there’s no good reason to give him the job now. Bradley should get it. If he wants it that is.

Post edited by deadduck on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Honestly I think this line of thinking has had far too much time in the sun over the past four years under Kenny. I’m absolutely sick of people talking down the idea our national team could make a fist of qualifying for a tournament; and talking it down with complete confidence that this is the only acceptable consensus.

The entire self defeating ethos of the Kenny era and this FAI leadership needs to get in the sea. If O’Shea is the best they can do, heads should roll. We need people in charge who believe in Irish football and can hire a viable manager, get a shirt sponsor and establish good relations with political stakeholders, etc.

Your posts reek of a losing mentality tbh.

Why should the Irish manager be Irish? Why limit ourselves like that? The last two tournaments we qualified for involved non Republic of Ireland Managers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

McCarthy or a person like him would make a lot of sense.

We can see a huge number of managers in England now who have gone from assistant roles to performing well as first team coaches.

Ireland are going to have to look to get the most from their money. The next coach will have to be someone they identify as on the up but also a person that they can reasonably expect to have knowledge and contacts within England.

That is where the players are, have been or will generally end up. Carsley was ideal candidate but it didn't work out but the profile of person they look for does not need to change.

The next coach will have a core group that they can expect to have around but the last squad with Azaz, Szmodics and O'Brien show how quickly new players can become important options and that knowlege of English leagues is still going to be important.

Post edited by DM_7 on

It's nothing to do with a mentality and more to do with 20 years+ of chronic underfunding while everyone was happy to go on the p1ss with JD.

It's the lets wing it and a decent manager can make it alright attitude I have an issue with

The team was in decline under MON and McCarthy never mind when Kenny took it over. McCarthy was incredibly fortunate to get out of Gibraltar at 1-0.

Countries like Albania are managing to open up modern professional football academies. We have an FA €60 million in debt that no sponsor has wanted anything to do with for the past few years. Abbotstown is supposed to be the national team training center and the FAI say it's not fit for purpose. Our entire youth development plan is left up to LOI clubs, who are doing their best, but have nowhere near the finances required to do the work being asked of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

Sorry, I should have caveat-ed that by saying, any ex-Ireland player whose shown enough to warrant a go (I.e Carsley), should be considered

The overall point is, we’re Ireland, and the players, and the manager, should either be Irish (or Granny-rule Irish), or at the very least have a tangible link to Ireland. I know that last one probably gets a bit wishy-washy, but I’d imagine most people have an idea of what I’m getting at.

I know this is more of an ideological thing, and look, if Klopp turned around tomorrow and said he’d do us a favour, it’d be very hard to say no, but deep down, it still wouldn’t sit right.

Post edited by deadduck on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's no need for the Irish manager to be Irish or to have some nebulous Irish "connection"; it's a job and we should look for the best candidate who is available and willing to do it, whether that's John O'Shea or Poyet or Lennon or whoever.

Nobody is saying that the FAI have chronically underfunded youth football in Ireland for decades.

All of that is irrelevant for the next campaign. With the squad we have, there’s zero reason we can’t be competitive. You’re writing us off before the draw is even made. It’s nonsense.

We should appoint someone who gives us the best chance of qualifying. Someone who has never managed before, isn’t that person. We a national team not a development team or a stepping stone.

Appointing JOS is an extension of the attitude you hate. “Sure why not?” isn’t building with a plan. It’s giving someone with zero qualifications outside being an ex pro the job. And they’re handing out 5 year contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You can put lipstick on a pig is my opinion of the manager debate. With the wealth we have in this country and the supposed love we have for football we should haveaaninfinitely better home league and youth structures.

Complete overhaul top to bottom needs to happen, youth structures with proper feeder networks flowing to all LOI outfits.

Build the LOIs brand and make people want to associate and support it.

We're sheep at the end of the day. If the proper management, structure amd brand is created than our league would be better than Scotlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I mean … who’s going to pay for it?

you can talk all you want about wealth in this country but there’s no real evidence that Ireland have acclimated to the present reality that sport is a business. We are small timers at practically every sport except horse racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think it matters. There's nobody available to meet your criteria. We've never had a proper Irish Irish manager who has led us to a major tournament, and in truth most of them have been brutal.

John O'Shea is a nice fella but would be a complete joke and shot in the dark of an appointment.

We have a young squad and the ideal candidate for me is an experienced manager, probably 60+ who has experience managing an international team in Europe and also experience of bringing an international team to either the World Cup, or European Championships. Failing the international experience part, I still would like a manager who is very experienced at club level and in kind of semi retired mode.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s not a losing mentality to think that we have practically no chance of getting to the World Cup. Over 20 years since we’ve been at one, and the idea that it’s Kenny’s reign that has somehow trained us to accept mediocrity is far fetched too.

The simple reality is that the previous regime has put Ireland years behind where we should be. A lot of smaller nations in Europe are looking to adopt a long term approach with top class facilities to develop more technically proficient players. We still by and large depend on England to develop our players, which is getting more difficult too.

We’re still producing players of course, and we have some good ones - and we definitely were underperforming under Kenny. But there’s no manager in the world that could come into this group to make WC qualification a realistic prospect. We don’t have any creativity in midfield which really limits what we can do.

Euro 2028 will be our best opportunity in a while because there’ll be additional spots that could help us qualify. Hopefully we’ll have identified some more options by then.

In terms of who takes over now? I don’t think it matters too much. If they can’t find someone they feel can build the team long term then get someone in for 2 years and see how they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Its great to see the LOI finally get a foothold in a market outside of their hard-core support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is this another attempt to make excuses for the abject failure of the Kenny reign especially the way it dragged out for ages when to be fair to the guy he should have been relieved of his duties.

Will you stop with this negativity, there’s no need for it World Cups are hard to qualify for but there’s teams playing in the Euros this summer that if we got our act together we would beat. Georgia, Albania to name just two. We have players good enough to beat teams like that and with a manager who can get the best out of what we have we could prove a difficult opponent for more fancied sides. The FAI have made a mess of the appointment process but if it’s O’Shea and Kerr I think they can bring improvements. Make a decision and give them a contract.

• Advertisement

All I can do is talk. I'm a Joe soap with no affiliation to the business of football in Ireland.

You only need to look as far as rugby to realise that solid youth structures, feeding academies of well funded senior teams will give you a conveyor belt of paying customers and decent results.

All of which aids international success. We won't be winning world cups but I think a fair comparison to rugby where QF appearances are now expected would be qualifying for most Euros/WCs.

I’m not sure there is much to draw from rugbys organization that can be applied to football here.

Rugby has an inbuilt academy system with private schools. The domestic league is small time; no tv deal, dont know who the sponsor is and don’t know who is the best team in the AIL is, god knows what the prize money amounts to. The professional part only has five serious teams; the provinces + the national side. Rugby is already in the super league era and Ireland is the equivalent of The Netherlands or England football teams at a European or world level of rugby.

So the IRFU have done a good job but I just think it’s a completely different market place and Ireland’s place in the market is totally different.

I think it’s a dullards comparison if I’m honest.

So now the argument is dullard as opposed to horse racing?

Yes schools rugby gives the IRFU their foundation. The FAI need to replicate that in whatever form that takes for soccer. The blueprint is there.

A plan is free. Similar to rugby it could take decades before bearing fruit but there's quite clearly no overall top down structure.

For an organisation who's board are all earning 100ks a year that's unacceptable.

they have a plan, published last year. It requires investment of 680 or so million. Again, who’s going to pay for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nice goal for Jaden Umeh. Just turned 16, look at the size of him 😲

That's not for me to answer. Who commissioned the plan?

but you’re saying they should make a plan and that they need to copy rugby and get their act together so I think it is for you to address anyway.

The FAI have commissioned the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Two goals so far from Szmodics with not much other involvement, clinical.

• Advertisement

I said a plan was free. I said rugby has shown that structure and brand translates to the international stage.

The board are earning massive money a 680 million plan with no way of paying for or implementing it is not value for money.

I could sit on the board with zero experience and pontificate for x,y and z if that's all that's expected of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

The FAI put an infrastructure plan together and presented it to government. Michael Martin said on Off the Ball if the FAI came with a plan to government, they would be keen to help. The FAI did that and then Jonathan Hills joke about getting Holiday pay has set the FAI back a few years. Rather than ranting here i suggest you go read the plans the FAI have published in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

If the reports are true FAI were looking at Poyet on a five year option? Five years - is it April fools or something? It would absolutely end is tears either on the pitch or in the boardroom before the end of a five year contract? Gus Poyet five year contracts - he's probably had near 5 jobs in that timeframe at some point in his managerial career...

you said they need to replicate whatever rugby was doing…which is kind of nonsense to be honest as there is no real comparison between the two..they do have the plan to do something though that would move Irish football into at least this century. But they won’t ever have the money to do that. So nothing will happen in Irish football.

I guess you feel that earning over 100k should permit expectations that the football association can overcome their 8 figure debt and do something meaningful with this plan. Turn that 8 figure debt into a 9 figure investment as it were. Elon musk with bill gates and Warren Buffett couldn’t manage that.

I'm aware we're probably in an Internet death spiral here but you are the one who claimed we were small timers in all sport bar horseracing.

I brought rugby up on the back of that statement.

And the irony of you now claiming there's no comparison between rugby and soccer after bring horseracing into the equation...

And yes a large wage demands large results imo. Sitting on a board creaming in a big bucks should come with expectations.

The board may as well be politicians such is the free pass you're happy to afford them.

I’m not following the irony. Rugby in Ireland is fairly small time. 5 pro teams of any meaning. A nothing domestic league no one cares about because it doesn’t develop players for the international team.

Horse racing is truly where Ireland excels itself when it comes to sport in Ireland as a business

Is this the almost billion euro plan another poster was talking about?

The fai recieve enough money to implement structural changes without a billion euro.

You and the other poster are giving the board a free pass to steal a living.

I could come up with a plan to make my dept the besttin the world if money was no object. We all could.

Rugby is a professional teamsport played with a ball. Its a worldwide game with European and World cups.

Horse racing is a race between horses.

the plan the FAI presented would not make Ireland the best in anything. Ireland would still be in the bottom half of European countries in terms of football development. If the plan was implemented it would bring us into the 21st century. That is all.

When Delaney was drummed out, I stated many times that without a plan for the future and with all the focus on whether Delaney would be arrested, nothing much would change in terms of actual football on the field in Ireland. And now nothing much has changed. The corporate governance is much better. But corporate governance doesn’t create footballers

• Advertisement

So you're maintaining that the current board are earning their wage and that the funds received by the FAI are in no way capable of implementing incremental structural changes to bring football in Ireland into the 21st century?

I'm not even talking quickly, I'm like 10/15/20 year plan.

Or is it a billion euro or nothing in your opinion?

My main point is that the financial model of Irish football is a failed model. Expecting the Irish men’s senior national team to generate revenue for everything else in Irish football will not work unless we have a freak senior men’s team. As long as that situation continues Irish football is kind of doomed.

I doubt any other small to large European countries follow this model. Most, probably all countries’ domestic leagues would contribute money to the national association. In Ireland it is a dependent.

Hill is damaged goods now so maybe he should go but don’t expect anything to change unless we start winning and qualifying or unless people cop on to our financial model setting irelahd up to fail and demand change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

The 42 reporting that Poyet is back in the picture.

I agree 100%. I don't agree that a billion euro development plan should be the only acceptable plan put forward by the well paid board.

If they were a real company they'd be way more accountable.

and I don’t see it changing with any other board or ceo unless the condition of “all other things” notably improve so I don’t really see the point of talking about Jonathan Hill or any other individual(s)

Stephen Kenny is gone, has been for the last 5 months and no-one is arguing it wasn't the correct call. You need to move on from him.

For what it's worth I don't buy this narrative he's plunged us into the dark ages all by himself. For one thing when Trap left we were 5 places lower in the World rankings and he's generally viewed as one of our most successful ever managers.

I disagree that we'd beat Albania handily. Have you looked at their squad recently? Plenty of good players spread across the Bundesliga, La Liga, EPL and Serie A. Even with our act together I'm not convinced we have the midfield or fire power to top a qualifying group. Yes, we could stumble into a Euros but that's because it's nearly harder not to end up at one these days, draw dependent of course.

• Advertisement

Trap got us to a WC play off and went out to the Henry handball. Trap got us to the Euros when it was hard to qualify for it. There’s no comparison between Trap and Kenny.

World rankings are a single metric. Stephen Kenny had us eliminated in every group as soon as possible. We lost to some abysmal teams. It’s the lowest point in Irish football in my lifetime.

Of course, Trap had better players. Trap is a legend of the game. Stephen Kenny is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why did you use the word “handily”? If you’re going to continue with this you’re going to need to be honest otherwise you’ll be revealing yourself to have some other motive which is what I suspect.

Again, the travails of youth football are irrelevant to the next Senior team campaign. The FAI have to sort out a lot of things in terms of the long term, but it’s frankly boring at this stage having it mentioned as an excuse every time the current professionals that make up our Senior Team get a bad result. The excuses of the Kenny era should remain in the Kenny era.

Let’s get the best manager available and get some results in the Nations League. In parallel the FAI need to get a shirt sponsor, sort out political blockers to investment and take a step forward on things like youth development strategy. But Stephen Kenny wasn’t and the next Irish manager won’t be responsible for those items. It’s amazing people don’t understand the practical remit of the role, even after four years of Kenny didn’t solve Irish football like was promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Bazunu not doing great at the moment it must be said.

Wouldn’t be first choice at present, thankfully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement