Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And this is another example in this thread of what deters discussion on Boards. The OP had made themselves very noticeable with some very poor wind up threads. It didn't necessitate any searching to remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ITs both to be fair.

On the one hand, you read "you can't express certain viewpoints without being seen as racist/phobic and getting banned" - in which case you should probably kearn how to do it.

On the other I've seen 'threadbanned' a few times and thought, 'what, for that?' You're kidding?'

I think their is a bias towards left-leaning posters to be moderaters, and I say that as soneone who is left-lraning myself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's a valid thread but it's uncomfortable for mods and maybe then it's noticeable, this is what happens in the lead in to shutting down threads, mods don't personally like what's being said and try to find a reason to shut things down. The target posters in many cases and look for a reaction and then come down all high an mighty. On appeal they circle the wagons. Meanwhile boards deteriorates

I don't disagree with you but that's not my point. Mr. Disco's post exemplifies the childish bickering that ruins discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think boards is mostly great.

I don't have any problem with the mods. Just understand that they are humans.

It was much busier when there weren't so many other options on the internet. What I like best about it is that it is topic focused (rather than famous personality etc.)

It must have lost a lot of followers when it kept breaking down and being attacked, and the changeover to Vanilla was fraught with problems, some of which still exist.

Being unable to run a search within a thread or category is a big shortcoming in Vanilla. With the old search it used to be much better as a technical resource for looking up stuff.

I also find that it is much slower to load pages than it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭hhmmm?

The majority of people on this site are silly, bitter, argumentive, highly strung know it alls. Post a question, get a sarcastic comment as a reply. Post a good constructive comment and get shot down (usually by a cyclist). Post a bargain in the bargain alerts thread and get told there's one available €1 cheaper in Timbuktu when using a VPN to order. Not to mention the spelling and grammar patrol lurking everywhere.

The site is infested with these people and I now come mostly to wind them up.

I'm sure there's a host of you biting your tongues as you read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Graveyard or not it’s great to check in to Boards compared to the cess pit of Twitter and it’s the modding that ensures that. I hope it survives, I dip in and out a lot since about 2008 but don’t post much. At least boards relates largely to Irish issues not the melting pot of American angst and conspiracy theories and utter scutter. Sad to see a lot of the old familiar posters no longer here but maybe like me they’re still here.. under a new guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Editing/posting is a mess on Boards. Has been since the change and now you cant split out and respond to different sections of posts. An insane decision from Boards HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Has to be, right? If it wasn’t no one would be here, we’d all be forced over to somewhere less appealing, like Reddit.

Like someone said above, maybe “dormant” forums could be condensed into single mega-threads and moved somewhere more visible. Might help breathe some life into those places.

Ah, Forum Games. Would you believe it’s the only place I’ve been banned from? Was fair enough, I used AH style posting in a setting that it wasn’t “appropriate” so couldn’t complain.

Is, my nemesis, BuileBeg over on that new site? Absolute gem of a poster and a big loss to the site here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Just to step back a bit, boards works for me for attaining knowledge and updates on topics pertinent to my tangible needs.

But the discussions are full of strangers projecting onto eachother. FB arrived and became the overt standard for ego inflation and projection, but the good utility value still remains here

The internet will never be as fun as back in the day when it was early adaptors surfed the wave of a new communications revolution.

Pining for that buzz is futile. Mods were fallible then as they are now, and I thought everyone posting in after hours then were as nuts as what we see on twitter and FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Your previous example and the one I gave, given that they are both from posters with a posting history, are both equally valid anecdotal observations that contribute to the thread. It's impossible to verify either, so if you're going to accept one then you have to accept the other. The general idea that you can't post anecdotes on boards is clearly daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I know what you're getting at but surely once you try to remove posters ability to write of their experiences of a topic, then you may as well not have a thread or a site at all. Isn't personal experience part of the whole culture of a site like boards - now yer talking!?

Furthermore where is the relating of anecdote or citizen journalism if you like prohibited in any general posting rules on boards? Or in the specific form charters?

To relate that you saw or experienced xyz etc is not being a dickhead or being uncivil or attacking another poster or likely to bring legal action against boards. It is as you say better to focus on facts, so if a poster writes that xyz happened then this can be taken as a fact.

What's happening though on some threads is that the adjudgment of anecdote is being arbitrarily applied according to the moderators whim to remove posts, issue warnings and threadbans. I can't think of a much more damaging practice to the culture of boards.

Perhaps you can further this observation further up the line and have some sense brought to it.

• True, I'd take 6 months in the Joy over 60 seconds on Reddit.

And BuileBeag is indeed alive and well over on the new site :)

https://forumofgames.com/index.php for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Reddit's ok - you just have tobstay away from the political and social activist forums.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You falsely accuse me of putting words in your mouth and in the same post completely make up the quote "I hate being a mod" and then argue with yourself over it.

Lol.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• right I’m just gonna stop talking with you now because you’re a pain to deal with.

You said

Why are you reluctant to speak for yourself?

You're clearly not happy doing a voluntary job, why continue?

I’m asking where did I say that?

• I used to be a mod, and even got a threat to my own personal safety from a user still present on the site. I still get criticism from one or two posters regarding that time where I have temporary forum bans to these kind of people. One person, who claimed to be a nursing home carer, said I wouldn’t know how other people suffer as I’m so glib in my approach to other human beings. They left the site after a forum ban for the most horrible in thread continued personal abuse of other posters and myself. I would imagine there might have been health issues there, though, or perhaps person was just being a dick. You can get hellish abuse & intimidation from groups of posters (possibly the one poster or a close-knit WhatsApp group) being a mod.

There are reregs of very obviously the same trolling poster(s) who continue to get away with it? Despite being extremely obvious and intentional in their methodology. They post in exactly same style as a two fingers to the admins. The dogs on the street know who these are. The reason they get away with it is there is no way to actually “prove” it with multiple vpns, private TOR browsing etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 86,134 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well I'm glad of this thread, even if some what derailed on mod talk, I like hearing from the mods and their process and also posters giving good ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Likewise, I had some threats made to me by a user who was modded shortly after I reported it, a number of years ago. Tried to doxx too, fun times for me!

In general I find moderation fine. I have no issues with any mods, but what I've found, and what keeps me from interacting much on boards, is legitimate awful behaviour from users or mods is largely ignored and the people who do it, free to roam the site.

The biggest issue I've seen is vanilla, died a death in terms of activity since the long shut down and subsequent issues.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Never saw what the issue was with “re-regs” tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you have been banned you are not welcome on the site for a reason so a re-reg is a deliberate attempt to ignore the mods ban.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• if you re reg to evade a ban or circumvent some other restriction imposed by admins or moderators then obviously that’s an issue and it hardly needs to be spelled out?

No one cares for the most part if you just want a new name/fresh account and plenty of people do that. It’s always best to check with an admin or Mike if there’s any reason why you can’t re reg but presuming you’re not trying to circumvent a ban etc then it’s very unlikely to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

How many of those "views" are by the same people? I know I check it regularly so I wouldn't be holding that as an example! How about getting the stats back of the number of people on the site at any given time? Why was the thread moved here?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Where else would you put a thread for feedback in how the site can be improved or saved?

I was just wondering why it was moved from after hours where there is a bit more leeway in discussion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I moved it because a feedback thread like this doesn't belong there and like I said to another poster no it wasn't so that it would get closed and forgotten about.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but a note stating that would help and stop members scratching their heads. A lot of threads get shunted around with no explanation which leads to a lot of the mod bashing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement