Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• people rereg time and time and time and time again to circumvent bans & accumulation of sanctions. The dogs on the street know it, yet Boards is unable to do anything about people with a poor moral compass because of popular use of VPN, TOR networks, and burner phones where fake conversations using same turn of phrase are used to provoke reaction and stick two fingers to Boards admins and ownership. Sometimes in the social media influencing side. It’s so patently obvious Boards as it stands, is unable to deal with this and will sanction anyone pointing out the “bleedin obvious” to quote Basil Fawlty.

AI introduced into moderation could assist in pointing out reregs as it is really impossible for mods & admins to keep on top of all this, including Bot registrations to promote a product or ideology.

• Maybe Vanilla is so sh1te it doesn’t allow for such notes in moderation 🤔

• It’s not really a topic suitable for After Hours. I’m confused by this question and it’s come up several times, why would it be better in AH exactly?

• we can of course leave a note (by way of a post) when moving it. Seph left a note but didn’t offer an explanation for moving it as I presume he felt it was rather self explanatory. A feedback thread being moved to feedback doesn’t really require a lot of understanding imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• it can be quite good for health issues, travel advice, cooking, etc. I go to it occasionally knowing that the type of detailed post I might make on a topic is better suited to that forum and usually gets a few upvotes which is always good for the ego. I don’t involve myself then in political stuff or controversy there the way I use not to here. But these days I leave my sometimes challenging responses to Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

I never said it would be better, I asked why it was moved with no explanation like a lot of threads are. Also the OP never mentioned "feedback" in the opening post. I was under the impression they just wanted a general discussion on the state of the site and it was moved to "Feedback".

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Has something relevant or important been disallowed here that would have been posted in After Hours?

I have no idea, I stopped following the thread when it was moved. I only check it if it comes up on the main page when I'm browsing. I wouldn't even be back commenting only for a moderator tagged me from a post I made days ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ahh here it hardly needs explaining, not being smart or anything but I thought it would be fairly obvious why it was moved, this is the feedback forum after all.

The OP never mentioned feedback. I think I've had enough of the thread now though. 2 mods a cmod and an admin all joining in on my comments!

• Advertisement

• Jaysus

Sorry for trying to help.

• I would offer the suggestion going forward, for all mods, that perhaps when moving a thread we leave a note in the OP then?

Presuming it’s fair enough with everyone and doesn’t otherwise cause any confusion with the thread. In fairness most mods don’t move threads without adding a post themselves even if all it says is “moved to X forum”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• when I was modding I avoided (or tried to and likely failed times over) smart remarking as it doesn’t give a good vibe to modding, and just goes to convey a sense of superiority that is not warranted. As a mod are doing a voluntary job to help maintain a basic level of decency and are no better than any other poster, you are just in a privileged and also voluntary position to keep it going without unduly upsetting posters whose lives you don’t know about.

I made a woeful mistake when modding, won’t go into it now, but a normally very decent poster was deeply upset and I got into a stupid circular stance of defending myself when my then position was indefensible. A very good and empathetic C Mod made me see, in the nicest possible way, how much hurt I had caused and I apologised to poster and said I was completely out of order. I certainly learned a life lesson then.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭vswr

You always get these types of threads on forums when they ae in the throws of death…

Happened numerous times in the early 2010's when a lot of forums died off in favour of Facebook.

I think Boards has a couple of years left, but, it has deffo lost its major appeal…the vanilla change was a deathblow IMO…

When the ads, get bigger and more annoying, you know things are bad.

• I use my phone and generally stick to active threads so am not affected so much, I’ve given up on forums a lot and if I’m interested in something and want to see if there is a thread I Google it with Boards.ie added 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

so great - lots of mods former mods, admins and c mods in this thread -now can you do us all a favour and go moderate the site please ?

And yes I am pizzed off - you’re fine appearing here but where are you when multiple posts by obvious trolls are reported time and time again by multiple posters?
    And if you even eventually get around to it, you put a dig in to those reporting the posts in the first place.

Take a long hard look at yourselves because at this stage I couldn’t give a sho1te about your trivial issues - go moderate the site or get off the pitch and hand in your modship it’s actually that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

You really do need to calm down and stop taking things so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's clear that to re-reg a new account is a logical way around some of the nonsensical and/or petty thread bans handed out. It has been stated above that it's open to a banned poster to pm the relevant mod, go down on bended knee presumably and ask to be re-instated. Might work in the chess etc forum but hardly in the likes of politics or current affairs. One very good reason to have all bans lapse automatically after a certain period to help avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its fairly hard to get banned so no way should they be temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

just purely for my own info, is a forum ban on vanilla not timed anyway? From memory, vBulletin used allow set times, day week month etc.

does vanilla not allow that?

• We are volunteers Oscar. I personally have today off after working 50 hours over the last 5 days with Easter etc, so my time has been very limited.
    Im exhausted and haven’t the headspace for moderating much today, should I hand in my notice now?
    It’s completely unfair to take such an attitude with us all collectively and to make such sweeping accusations. because you perceive someone to be a troll doesn’t make it so.

Like honestly this is the major issue with threads like this, they turn into mod bashing and THAT is why they are closed off eventually. It’s unproductive and just venting frustration which we all feel in one capacity of another. Completely unfair to say no one’s modding the site because we’re here answering queries from posters.

like Jesus man if no mod, cmod or admin replied in this thread you’d be complaining we’re not here!

• getting newbie mods is problematic. A lot of us have durtied our bibs by expressing what we believe in good faith, although I’ve thrown in the odd response digeen and sarcastic reply here and there and wouldn’t touch missing with a kilometre long barge pole. Ego has no place in modding, of course it occurs and we are ALL human, but one needs to recognise it in oneself. The reward of good modding would very naturally to a very small cohort of posters. At Admin level one needs to be way tougher as it is the place of final decisions and they are the legal protectors of the site.

Quiet authority without sarcastic responses garners more respect, but not many can curtail their natural responses when in such a position. Consistency is vitally important, and not giving into the worst of the bullies. This is not a democratic forum by any means, but the site owner would do well to I serve some of the hints being proffered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Forum Bans are time limited - except if the forum is in a Group, like Soccer. There you are simply removed and need to apply after a certain time for access again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Shoog

I don't think there are any petty site bans, and they always come after many warnings and threadbans. I would love to see re-regs correctly identified and blocked before they ever get to spread more of their bile on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ha ha, have you tried? All you need to do is go a bit against the prevailing view on the thread and have a few reports made against you. Have you read this thread from the start. It's obvious if you watch the site for a while that posters get thread banned, disappear and reappear. I'm currently banned off two threads for petty reasons - nothing uncivil or dick headish about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Mods on here do a pretty good job dealing with needlessly aggressively needy folk, some of whom I see are posting in this very thread.

Such posters get all worked up when their aggression is not tolerated and are given a ticking off.

Grow up, act like an adult, or go home.

• Threadbans are not like forum bans, which absolutely do have time limits and expirations.

Threadbans are basically just being told not to post. It doesn’t stop you doing so. If I forum ban you then AH disappears. You can’t see it and you certainly can’t post.

From my own experience I’ve threadbanned several posters, who after a time have reached out and asked for their ban to be reviewed which has been done and in almost all cases from memory lifted as a result. Sometimes it is just a matter of giving you time to chill out and in future I will be more likely to issue a dated threadban (ie do not post in this thread for 72hr), rather than leave it open ended.

We deal with sometimes a lot of people everyday and unfortunately it’s impossible to keep track of everyone and follow up in a few days or weeks to see if they want to review their ban. If you want to then reach out to the issuing mod yourself would be my advice.

Look, none of us are very interested in making posters lives miserable, but in doing so we must always keep in mind the wider community. If someone’s posting in a manner which is upsetting the larger population they need to be sorted one way or another. But I’ve never refused to review any mod action or engage with a poster except in very rare circumstances where I don’t think we can agree to a resolution (in which case I will direct to DRP, help desk or a cmod as appropriate).

But as far as threadbans specifically go it’s not possible at the moment to put them on an automatic timer which expires after a certain length. But it’s a very good idea and it’s something I’ll keep in mind myself in future. Circumstance depending instead of just a threadban I will give a poster a chance to redeem themselves by making it clear it’s temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tried getting thread banned? No, thats not a goal for most people. Yes I have read most of it. No one actually gets banned for petty reasons despite what every single prison/dispute resolution thread claims.

• Advertisement

• It is not a logical way around that Furze. The logical approach is to contact the moderator in question, the Cmod or Help Desk if all that fails.

Re reg to circumvent the ban will just lead to you being permanently sitebanned, that’s really just the end of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement