Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Salah wasn't injured. It was agreed between Egypt and Liverpool that Egypt wouldn't call him up for the last internationals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

One of the dumbest things I see is someone simplifying a nuanced point. He can both be a great player and the best striker in the world, and at the same time a problem for City and the way he plays in their system. That is how I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

April Games

April

Team

TV

4th

Sheff Utd (19:30)

TNT Sports

7th

Man Utd (a) (15:30)

Sky Sports

11th

Atalanta (ITA) (20:00)

TNT Sports/Virgin Media

14th

Palace (14:00)

Sky Sports

18th

Atalanta (ITA) (a) (20:00)

TNT Sports/Virgin Media

21st

Fulham (a) (16:30)

Sky Sports

24th

Everton (a) (20:00)

Sky Sports

27th

West Ham (a) (12:30)*

TNT Sports

• Could change to Sunday depending on other fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just to add to what I am trying to say, look at history of Pep Guardiola and strikers - in 2009 Barcelona bought Ibrahimovic for 46m euro and Eto'o and sold him the year afterwards for 24m euro. He scored 21 goals in 3000 minutes for the team that season and 16 in the league, he was sold the year afterwards. He was replaced by David Villa who scored 23 goals in 5000 minutes. They won the double that year. Different type of striker where one was a goalscorer and the other worked hard off the ball.

Just to add, not performing in big games is not limited to Haaland. Harry Kane has had many big matches where he has disappeared and not performed. It does not make him a bad player or average player, just that strikers are paid to score goals when it matters, especially when you are not working hard off the ball. So far Haaland has not performed. He has big matches coming up to silence his doubters though in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

He's 23 years old. He has 6 goals in 9 games against the top 6 this season and has scored in a number of big games over the years including against us. 41 goals in 37 CL games including knockout games. You're comparing him to players who have had great careers and retired, which I think is the issue here. Very few players in history have had his impact at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Damn that got me. Jurgen showing what a class act he is once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

My instinct is that will be the week that determines whether we become champions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We need to get to that week first still top, I still think winning at Old Trafford is going to be a tough ask, I know they are crap atm, but, with the odd exception we have still struggled to beat them at Old Trafford. Also the Everton game is going to be extremely difficult too. There really isn't any easy game left, even Sheffield United won't be as easy as it appears, they have just had one of their best performances against Fulham, should really have won, but ended up lucky not to lose, we should still win, but not a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We need Konate back for next Sunday v Man U. Quansah is being found out a little I think (great stand-in though).

Looking forward to it already.

Liverpool v Sheffield U (5-0)

Man U v Liverpool (1-3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If we can't beat Sheffield United at home, why are we bothering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Definitely.

Even if we don't beat Utd, you'd feel winning those three could do it.

We should definitely beat them, but, it's not a given, it might not be the cake walk everyone thinks it will be. These are the types of games we need to keep our focus in and not let complacency in, same against United next week, make our superiority show, be clinical and stamp out any hope they have early in the game, get the job done and move on to the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I see a few SNIPES at Quansah on here over the last 24 hours.

I thought he was good yesterday. Brighton attacked that right side a lot for the first hour especially, and overall himself and Bradley held up well. He's still green enough, and a fit Konate is critical to our chances, but credit to the lad. He's doing very well at a very elite level. Unlike at city or arsenal, he doesn't have 3 other centre backs and 2 holding midfielders protecting him, so he's done very well with what he's been asked to do IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

Everton are a shambles at the moment if we can't beat them this year we don't deserve it. I'm all for being cautious but bigging up Everton this year is stretching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd start Quansah against Sheff Utd to make sure Konate is fully fit for Sunday

so are United, yet in two matches this season we haven't managed to beat them, also they and United raise their game when they are playing us, and they know a draw might be enough to cost us the league, but, I would agree if we can't beat United, Everton or Sheffield then we really do deserve what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

My point is that it's by far the least threatening of our nine remaining fixtures. Obviously things could go wrong but if we don't beat them with a league title at stake, we just don't deserve to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Quansah has been remarkable since he started getting regular game time.

Yesterday he looked a bit unsure and made a few wonky passes.

Snipe, though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I seen that as well, now i did miss the first 25 mins of the game but i thought he did well for the rest of the game, maybe i missed him messing up in the first 25 mins?

• Advertisement

In today's modern world my friend if your Aunt had balls she might still be your Aunt!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Lauras Law

But if you're thinking like that, then surely you're also thinking if Mac Allister was given a second yellow for a similar high boot against Man Utd in the FA Cup, one of Liverpool's best players (if not their best player) from the Brighton game wouldn't have actually been available to play and the result could have been very different.

Post edited by Lauras Law on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I reckon Konate was rested Sunday so that Konate could do the two starts Thursday & Sunday which gives him more rhythm. Rather than going Sunday-rest-Sunday which is a bit stop-starty after the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,537 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City's only four losses this season have happened when the Rodri wasn't available. Players who get 10 yellow cards in their first 32 Premier League games get banned for two games. City have played 29 games so far. Rodri has eight yellow cards, and if he gets two more in City's next three games, he'll have to sit out for two games, which would be a massive blow to them, and a big plus for us. But seeing as Rodri seems to be immune from getting cards from Refs when he should, I'm 100% certain he won't be booked twice in next 3 games. How can I be 100% certain, I'm either psychic, or something stinks with the refs and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Salah goal yesterday probably my favourite to this season. Just the inch perfect passes from sobo and macca, the first touch from Salah. Beautiful

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fouls in both cases, no cards needed, win win :)

Which is a bit facetious of course - but if VAR could look at the Doku one and decide it wasn't even a foul, let alone a card, then it's an extra step to be giving a card to Macca for what you call a similar high boot.

Are any of our injured players expected back for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Curtis Jones is back in full training this week afaik

Ruben Amorim is the man, the more I hear him, the more I see him, his personality suits us. Typing his name I just realized it's Mr Bio Manure , if you rearrange.

• Advertisement

'Arsenal held a five-point lead after game 29, they ultimately finished five points behind City.

History does at least provide a target to aim for. There have been five instances of a team holding no more
    than a two-point advantage after game 29, who went on to win the title, and they all collected a
    minimum of 20 points over the final nine games, with 22.4 the average.
    The teams in this position who failed were Chelsea 12/13, and Manchester United two years earlier , who took no more than 19 points from the run-in.

So 20 points is at least a starting point for which to aim for in last 9 games '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Times have reported that Sporting are interested in Anthony Barry replacing Amorim. He's also considered to be the leading candidate for the Ireland job.

He could be the replacement for Vitor Matos who has been responsible for the program to bring the best academy players through to the first team squad.

Hopefully Fernandes doesn't pick up a yellow card against Chelsea, I think he's on 9 at the moment. He got a booking late in the game against Bournemouth in December for dissent which meant he was suspended for our game and Man Utd were more disciplined without him. They would be a more difficult prospect if Mount was to start in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Apparently it's an FSG role related to the second club. Maybe they are looking at buying a Portuguese club?

I wouldn't think that the Portuguese clubs outside of the big three would get the regular attendances to warrant thier investment. Unless of course the business model will be to bring young talents to Europe from South America and sell them for huge profits after a few seasons.

It could work in Portugal with the right recruitment, with 3 Champions League spots available a points total on 75-80 would virtually guarantee access to showcase the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Anthony Taylor, from 15 mins down the road from Old Trafford, appointed ref for Sunday. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭.red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You wouldn't see Barca v Real Madrid ref'd by someone from Madrid.

It's mad that the PL put themselves into these situations. I'm not saying that Taylor will do something stupid or make a wrong decision on purpose but every decision he does make will get magnified more because of where he is from and who is playing.

Why isn't Oliver, or any referee not from Manchester or Liverpool taking charge of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't forget John Brooks on VAR lol Howard Webb just can't help himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I can't imagine Ferguson putting up with this back in the 90's.

It's very unprofessional and a clear conflict of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

It's as corrupt as hell, I just hope klopp eludes to this carry on when he leaves Liverpool and also the VAR scandals that have involved us and finally not to mention the 115 charges that city have yet to face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

who said anything about a card? he just claimed it was a foul, which they both were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is it general opinion of Liverpool fans that the officials are corrupted against them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also I get that they're all hypotheticals and everyone's just gonna "but what about X incident" ad infinitum but I feel like there's a difference between "If it was a foul and if there was a yellow card given then that player could be suspended for the following game which may influence the result"

versus

"If we got a penalty in the final minute of a 1-1 game against our title rivals"

They're not even trying to hide their bias , if 10 years down the line it comes out that the PGMOL has been corrupted by middle eastern money, no one is going to fall out of their chair in shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Generally, no (though obviously we're not one hive mind)

I think most fans of all teams agree that refereeing is an utter farce at the moment. We've been affected by three very significant calls - the VAR communication mixup against Spurs which likely cost us 3pts, the Odegaard handball against Arsenal which is arguably a 3pt swing with them, and the Doku penalty call, which is also a three point swing

I genuinely don't think any fan of any team would argue in good faith that they were correct decisions, and if you reverse them you're probably looking at us having a ten point lead, so it's massively significant

Obviously other teams have had bad calls, we've had some lucky calls (though I honestly can't think of many) but those three really stand out

Corrupt? I don't think so, I just think the implementation of VAR is utterly inept. The mistake against Spurs highlighted how uncoordinated and unprofessional they are, they other two highlighted how their plan A is to agree with the ref, protect their mate, rather than aim for the correct decision

Add to all of that that refs are flying off to the middle east on lucrative side contracts where they're being paid by City's owners and you can see why people call foul. But, at best (and, I think, most likely) they're just not doing their job well at all, and it's disproportionately affected us compared to City and Arsenal this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

well articulated. Add to that a sense of exasperation as to why Liverpool have a Manchester ref or VAR, or both, assigned to almost every league game and almost always when playing either Manchester team.

Advertisement