Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should it take realisticly to complete the IBT?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

On my IBT they encouraged using the gears to slow down and use the rear brake then when needed.

From watching some youtube safety videos it appears, at least for faster riding in bends that using the rear brake "can" be a bad idea as it can take the load off the front wheel, there's a thing called trail breaking also which means you can ever so gently pull the front brake in bends to get the bike to stop going wide if you underestimate the speed going into a bend.

A lot of the issue with brakes in this situation is people panic brake and new riders panic brake lock up the front wheel and drop the bike, same with rear brake, you can just as easily panic brake the rear in a straight line and the bike will go down, it's all about gentle braking, start with 2 fingers.

I have to say though I really like the rear brake on the handlebar of the Tmax 500 and being new to riding I haven't thought it's a clutch.

Congrats ! ride safe !

Can you send a link to the bike ?

I was originally going for A then figured out I don't want to have to ride a 50 Kw bike to pass A test so going with A2 on the Tmax 500 and then get A through progressive access 2 years after I pass the test and in fairness the max power on A2 is 35 Kw and that's still a lot of poke on 2 wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don't know how I missed it, never saw one before but reminds me of the Renault Twizzy.

Ms

You can actually by a Chinese version of the Renault Twizzy. I thought about it but did not in the end too impracticle with no doors lol. Actually I think the Chinese version had doors and I seen it after I bought my Trike. Awe well. Would have loved a Twizzy.

Might go to the Canarie's on holiday in the future and drive one there if its still possible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Twizzy was too expensive and range too limited and recharge times far too long and the batteries had to be leased.

It's a pity they didn't develop it further but it's hard to put a larger battery in a package so small this is why Auto manufacturers are focusing more on making cars larger and larger so they can fit in more battery but our roads and car parks are not designed for these cars.

One reason Motorbikes and Scooters are limited in range is due to their size, Zero make probably the best electric motorbikes out there but are handicapped by 70 miles range max to even lower if you're hard on the throttle, I built high powered electric bicycles years ago and the torque is nuts, people will love them but the penalty is range and recharge times + cost, I think currently Zero offer a 2 hr charge time with optional "fast charger" And they have limited max power ability or boost.

I'm happy with the Tmax 500 for now, can't wait to get it back, it's quite powerful.

I just looked up the specs, didn't realise it's electric :-)

I bet the locals nearly fall over looking at that passing hahaha,

You should be able to mod it for more power and speed, if it really is 1 Kw that's not much power at all.

I was running 10 Kw peak through one of the rear hub motors on my bike. In small packs LiPo batteries are king but you got to know how to handle them, they are not safe if abused lol. That and a new beefier controller, possibly higher voltage motor and you'll be flying around.

Further looking into the specs the system is actually 2 kw 72 volt and 45 ah battery, but uses Lead acid ? wow, WTF ? well the lead acid would have to go and upgrade to LiPo :-)

were there no Lithium options ? if those batteries are not deep cycle batteries they'll probably have a very short life.

Might be worth a thread in the ev section ?

Ms

"Twizzy was too expensive and range too limited and recharge times far too long and the batteries had to be leased."

I agree.

"Further looking into the specs the system is actually 2 kw 72 volt and 45 ah battery, but uses Lead acid ? wow, WTF ? well the lead acid would have to go and upgrade to LiPo :-)

were there no Lithium options ? if those batteries are not deep cycle batteries they'll probably have a very short life."

I never got the lead acid battery. It never came. Am glad too. I got two Smart Propel Lithium ion 72volt 45ah batteries for it.

https://www.smartpropel.com/

Only have one in it connected to the trike with Anderson connectors. Would love to have two connected in it together but maybe its just to risky. I thought about trying to do it for ages and then decided it was too risky.

Maybe someone like you might know what you are at but not me. You are welcome to come look at for me anytime.

My plan is to have the two of them in it and when one goes low just change over the connectors. That should give me 100km of range. It can only do 47kph do. Maybe that's a good thing do. Over 30kph and a sharp turn in it is not good. Becomes unstable like at T junction turning right or left at that speed would lift a wheel. I would love to get it to 60kph but then it would need new tyres as the tyres on it are only rated to 50kph.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was clever getting the lithium, no I wouldn't connect the two of them in Parallel due to the BMS without them Specifically mentioning whether or not they can be connected in parallel , I looked them up and it doesn't mention it.but if you got the 2 in there it would effectively double your range, worst case just put the 2 in and swap over the connectors when one runs low.

Ms

Thank you. I thought so.

Well the person I dealt with and who I put the order in foor them with said Paralell is OK but not in series. Still he is going to say that anyway. He also said it would not damage the motor or controller but he is not here and does not know there specs. If it did its not him who is then without a vehicle to get around.

I was also thinking of some way to keep both batteries in check if I did join them together maybe some sort of regulator but it turns out a DC battery combiner is what would be needed,

The current from my batteries is 30amps. Not sure if this would work.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

No you shouldn't need anything like this, just make sure if you do connect them in parallel that they are both fully charged, you don't want to connect batteries of different voltages.

Also, Lithium has higher voltage when fully charged than Lead acid so you need to make sure the battery when hot off the charger doesn't exceed this max voltage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bear in mind if you pass your test on the TMax, your licence will be marked as 'automatic' only…..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes I was aware getting the Tmax but suppose I just wanted to get used to bikes, balance and all and twist and go is a lot easier starting off. It's pretty nippy too.

The idea was that if I pass the test and have the license 2 years I can get A through progressive access which will allow me ride the NC750 DCT. Or I could just stick with the maxi scooters.

Are the honda cubs considered automatic and could I ride one on auto license ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

the rule is, if it doesn't have a manually operated clutch (lever), it's an Auto, so yes, a Cub would be classed as an automatic.

Tbh, and I ride automatic bikes most of the time, low speed control and balance is easier to learn on a standard 'manual clutch' bike, especially on bigger ones. I say this based on 3 x DCT and 3 scooters in this house, as well as some standard clutch bikes.

I've never seen the operation of a clutch be the deciding factor in someone passing/failing or struggling for a test. It's usually other factors which would be common to autos anyway (speed, position, signalling, observation etc etc).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I did my IBT with Eric in mid-August (it was unbelievably hot in all the protective clothing!). It took the full two days, with the afternoon of the second day devoted to a ride out to Trim and back. No problems whatsoever, and I even got a 4-month wait before eligibility for applying for a test, but, admittedly, I have been driving 4-wheel vehicles of various sizes for over 50 years, and I did have motorcycles between the ages of 17 and 27, though without a full licence.

I found the tuition I received was excellent and if I had been told that I needed to come back for more I would have taken that judgement at face value.

Advertisement