Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• vBulletin was a strain on resources because it wasn’t really able to cope with the user base or load we were asking of it. Remember when threads had to be locked at 10k posts?

While vanilla is certainly not without its faults the previous platform couldn’t cope anymore. If it was as simple as just going back to what we had it would’ve been done but it’s not the solution unfortunately.

As I understand the previous site was basically held together with hopes and dreams and it was literally ready to collapse at any moment. It required a dedicated developer on staff to keep it up and running which boards can’t afford at the moment anyway.

Thats my understanding of the situation and why the.. “upgrade” happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah but I asked what if multiple or several posters want to start a new thread, since they've been banned from the initial one for disagreeing with and therefore annoying a batch of posters there?

And who is to judge whether anyone has 'lost the argument'? In fact is the whole point of boards not to share views, as opposed to winning arguments as you seem to think??

It is unreasonable for a group to monopolise a thread and shut down reasonable debate by complaining about others who simply disagree with them. Well that is unless you're the sort of poster who like to join in a pile on. And there those, I suppose it's human nature to run with the crowd.

That's why a sensible moderation policy is either to allow people to disagree firmly or when needed to start new threads…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

New mods should be on probation for a set period. Moderate like a dick too many times and you're demodded. The 'power' can be too much to handle for some.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Maybe they were on for years and decided to jump back in. This is an example of the hostility that new posters face, and should be nipped in the bud at once if the site wants to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

All this newfound cuddly mod/Cmod/Admin understanding doesn't seem to extend as far as reading or responding to a thread in the DR forum in a timely manner.

I've had one there for 2 days now with over a hundred views, but apparently none of those was a Cmod or an Admin...

Strange that, - given that the forum is specifically for mods, Cmods and Admins to address or adjudicate on posters grievances.

It's not as if there are 40 active threads there or anything.

Whilst it may not be the case, it gives the appearance of the top brass having a discussion amongst themselves first about how they are going to whitewash any investigation on what happened, and then implementing it in concert.

Tardiness on replying in that particular forum is highly disrespectful to posters and gives us the impression that we are seen as guilty deviants unworthy of anything above bare tolerance.

It's the general attitude of some/many/most of the moderator team here.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

See, here's my exact point being made barely 2 posts after i made it.

Posters complaining about posters and moderators having to over moderate.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Lads seriously, we were all doing so well!

If anyone would like to continue to provide some reasonable feedback please do. I honestly don't want to have to put my own 'zero tolerance' into action on this thread.

Back on topic. Less of the bickering. Less of the backseat modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can disagree without illicicing a ban. I actually haven't seen an unjustified ban from a thread - and that includes the few time I have been thread banned.

The point is some people seem to get banned all the time and never seem to question their own behaviour which caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Shoog

New posters who's first post is highly inflammatory are the one who get immediate bans - and rightly so.

Just about the only thing I report are these posters.

• packrat, it’s the day after the Easter bank holiday, cmon..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I think it's very important that posters support each other. And it's important, it doesn't matter if it's a mod or another poster, you get support and you can stand up to anyone. In relation to anything that's happening, not in this instance, but nobody has to take any bs on the site, not from anyone.

I commend yourself for answering queries and your commitment to the thread. But that post did seem off to me(and I know you don't have to or can't read everything on the thread). But I'm entitled to point that out. I just said it was bizarre to me.

You've shown more than anyone a willingness to engage. And that's to be celebrated.

I admire Charleigh Tinkling Squadron's recent post too.

Some people are not for changing. That's testament to what they've posted on this thread and by their absence…

• I agree re Charleigh Tinkling Squadron and Big Bag O Chips, dedicated moderation their respects, we may not always agree on everything but it can’t be denied they are listening in good faith.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dan Steely

While it might seem like a good idea initially to appoint as moderator of a particular forum somebody who has contributed heavily to the forum and who has shown an extensive professional or personal interest in the forum, that reasoning could be flawed. I think it could lead to bias and a control of the narrative, consciously or subconsciously.

Where a poster shows they have the right stuff to be a moderator appoint them ASAP but to a different forum to their hobby forum. This could free them to be more dispassionate in the forum they are charged with and free to post away as always in their usual forums without any restrictions that being a mod brings.

Some forums have had the same mods in place for too long. 10+ years? Far too long. I get the impression some long term mods feel the forum they mod is "their" forum.

Rotate mods between forums. Have a max term, say one or two years, then appoint to a different forum.

The issues above can lead to modding more of content than behaviour. The site needs more modding of behaviour, less of content modding. Not no content modding, less.

• can anyone tell me that I’m not going mad and that iPhone iOS is changing about sentences spelled out initially as intended 🤷‍♀️ I just can’t post in tolerant-limited threads where extraordinary-seeming posting is taken as poster’s intention! It is going ever more stupid, and problematic with my sight issues.

• we’re never here to control a narrative for one thing. As a mod all I’m here to do is keep the discussion flowing and within the confines of the charter.
    Like I don’t care about gardening in the slightest. Am I an ideal candidate to mod the gardening fora? (inb4 you’re not ideal to mod a shoebox Charleigh Tinkling Squadron)

Point being that the best way is to mod the forums and subjects you’re personally interested in because you will do so with care and I don’t think any mod is trying to— or going to get away with trying to moderate opinions to create a certain narrative within the forum(s) they mod. It won’t happen.

I was happy to take on mod for AH when I was asked because I am a frequent visitor and I’ve no problem spending some time keeping things in order, I’m usually reading the threads anyway so it doesn’t make much extra “work” in the grand scheme of things. I’m a chef so if I was asked I’d happily mod the food forum either but as I said I’d sooner jump down an elevator shaft than take up a position in the soccer forum. I don’t like soccer, wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on and it’d be a disaster.

Similarly I’m the wrong person to mod a forum such as Personal Issues because my personality is not a good fit for a forum like it. I don’t ever really go in there either for the same reason. It’s a forum that requires a very delicate approach to posters I think is fair to say and someone like Big Bag of Chips is rightly much more suited than I am!

I’ve no problem to admit where I wouldn’t feel comfortable with moderating and I definitely don’t agree we should be just passed from Billy to Jack every few months to whatever. It would be a disaster.
    Contrary to what some feedback here suggests, I would actually like to some more mods in particular forums. It would solve a lot of the problems surrounding as chips says, muppetry.

• I commend the mods’ tolerance here, I’ve been a bit “expressive” to say the least, I’m not a troller by nature, but I have learned later in life to stand up for myself rather than be cowered as I used to be. In fact I was often a shell of my present self. Age brings its benefits, you’re thrown out of one forum, you have your friends, there’s the next forum. You are likely as cute as a fox from life learning a d developed intellect as to how to turn impossible corners. 😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

Meanwhile, the criminal justice thread is being trolled to bits with new accounts. Oh well.

Yes. Fair enough. But it's not ALWAYS the day after Easter Monday.

And there's only one new thread.

And there's a thread there where the OP waited 10 days for a reply. That didn't happen on Easter Monday either.

Excuses are just that.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭archfi

A web app is just a wrapper for a website so I don't think resources should be put into that idea.

I think using Vanilla was a mistake as the very first thing the owners did was rush to customise it to 'look like' but it could never 'act like' the old design. I mean, colours/logo are fine but the extent of trying to recreate old boards on Vanilla has been a mess.

I'd say this rush to customise it is one of the reasons behind the bad experience on mobile mentioned here - I think DigitalSpy (Vanilla) works fine on mobile (iphone and android) but of course they don't have a gazillion sub-forums which get near zero traction to cater for.

On moderation, I think a simple policy of nothing illegal, be polite, attack the post not the poster should cover most problems.

I'm afraid catering for some posters perceptions of offence, most times not even their own feeling of offence, is not the way.

The idea of not relying on mods to come from forums where they post prolifically (thereby avoiding possibility of bias) is a good one though something that shouldn't be enforced doggedly. My guess is hobby forums etc should be okay for that 'rule' not to be too much enforced. Moving some mods around sounds a good idea but would need to be fleshed out a bit - maybe just the busy forums.

Just stick to the above three guidelines/rules and the other idea of quick, short and 24/48/72 hour threadbans/forum bans and not entering into PM/DRP boredom about those.

Finally, definitely weed out and never empower any 'activist' mods.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Have you reported any of their posts? I presume there are many of them if it is in such a state.

Local Mods may not read this thread but a RP would make them aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bartkingcole

I have a controversial opinion. Vanilla is actually ok. I think the timing and the manner of changeover was probably problematic but is it that bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No, it is not that bad. Considering all the downtime we used to have and the fact that financially Boards had to move I think, it could actually be worse. It should be a bit better as time goes by, but it seems to be a fairly slow process at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

Can I ask you two questions? It would be nice if you could, off the cuff, respond to them honestly.

On the soccer forum:

1. Do Mods ever try to employ a level of common sense rather than the letter of the law?
    2. In terms of cumulative warnings, do prior warnings from over a year ago, automatically flash up for a mod or does it require an actual trawl back through posts?

I recently followed a forum called forumforfarming.com.

I've no idea what platform they are using but it looks better and functions better than boards currently does, whilst being relatively similar.

Can someone who would know the difference have a look see what they're using?

No quote - again...

Yes. It's actually worse than described. Total sh1t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement