Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Honestly, yes. It doesn't scale properly for what boards.ie needs, there's no granularity in permissions, it can't be added to with plugins like vbulletin could, the reply editor is clumsy, no bbcode support, every little update from Vanilla seems to break it etc etc.

There's only one or two tiny benefits, such as image uploads going onto their cloud storage and not needing an external host, and that they auto strip meta data from uploaded images.

It was chosen because it was cheap, not for being any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bartkingcole

Well I will need to defer to an expert and I can honestly admit that I am not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure why you would think I would respond by any other means than honesty, but anyway.

1. Common sense plays a part but it really does depend on the post - but the Charter really is the guide - other wise posters could quite rightly complain of favouritism etc. Mods do chat in the Mod section re posts, querying a second opinion if necessary. A post might not be seen by a Mod but they could well get the blame for not actioning it - as has often happened in the past. Reporting a post is very important - as I mentioned in an earlier post - it makes it alot easier to action a post - which could mean, deleting, 0 point, 1 point, 2 point or leaving it alone. Just because a post is reported, does not mean it warrants a Warning.
    2. Cumulative Warnings go back 2 years - as per Soccer Charter. Mods can check a posters Warning history with a click of a button on their profile- all Warnings on Boards appear and we check going back 2 years for any Soccer Warnings and apply any necessary Ban as a result. If a Ban is necessary, we PM also as to the nature and length of the Ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

May I ask the moderators and administrators about the cookie consent policy and durability of the opt out/in Cookie. Why is it so short, or to put it another way, why ask users to reset their consent after such a short period. Its highly unlikely the user will have changed their preferences. Its very frustrating to be asked to reset preferences so frequently.

This is my experience since 0.00 on April 1.

At midnight (0.00 3 Apr) I was presented with the CM banner. I was previously asked for conent at 0.00 1 Apr.

I do not know if the opt in cookie has the same duration but I will test it on a different device.

I posted this on another thread started by another user. Boards have not replied to these posts.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm fairly certain that's bugged and shouldn't be doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Baseball72

plus how many are logged in / viewing at any one time…..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was nice to be able to view that info - but I think that is only visible at Mike/Odhran level possibly.

I can tell that there are 6871 members of the Soccer Forum but not how many are active at any one time and I would need to specifically check a posters profile to see when they were last on site/posted.

• I did request a disability forum, refused. Have notified Elon for what it’s worth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Are you talking about a disability forum on Boards? If you are, we do have such a forum for general accessibility, mobility and disability issues that many people face every day…

https://www.boards.ie/categories/accessibility-mobility-disability

…unless I am missing something, in which case please accept my sincerest apologies!

-Shield

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

It sure solved that problem with 10k posts! :D

Is the place is just a soccer forum at this stage? Rebrand it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The don't be a dick one on the CA charter is something that should be fleshed out a bit more.

There are a handful of posters who call posters far right, racist and nazi etc when they express views.

That is not only being insulting, but very much being a dick, this is something that we can only assume the mod of the thread thinks is okay to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I agree - the terms 'don't be a dick' and 'muppetry' both need to be explained fully.

Take the latter term https://www.yourdictionary.com/muppetry which is generally defined as 'foolish incompetence'

Why would you censure someone on boards for either being foolish or incompetent? Clearly you could get rid of a large number of users and mods if that was applied to the word!

Both these terms are surely quite subjective and therein lies a significant issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

for you this works. If boards however wants new or younger users it will not succeed without an app.

• would an app likely allow you to keep several threads open at the same time? I’m trying to understand how much more functional it would be? Or are young people allegedly incapable of using browsers?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the point is the chrome mobile version (on android at least) is absolutely functional as an app.

if "younger" members need to tap an a app icon to use something, they can just simply create a short cut

for example:

boards "app" bottom right

brings you straight to your home screen

• I would take BBoc to mean “muppetry” as a simple way to describe any kind of behaviour that contravenes a forums charter or the overall site rules and not necessarily a baseline level of behaviour expected from all posters at all times.

• unfortunately it is so well hidden, on mobile site, that it’s pretty dead. It would be better mounted in a more visible location. I find myself googling outside of the site to find corners of Boards. I think a lot of people who use mobile only find the directory structure quite poor, but that is more of a development issue.

Well then, why not just say that? A breach of charter rules.

I suspect that some would say they know when someone is 'being a dick' or engaged in 'muppetry' when you see it.

But of course that is very unsatisfactory as clearly that could vary widely from person to person and also their interests, tolerance levels, how many pints or how much sleep they had last night etc etc

You see the suspicion has to be that using a test like 'being a dick' or engaged in 'muppetry' to censure a poster is just a handy lazy way when that poster hasn't actually broken any site or charter rules, but a moderator just wants rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

wonder could the site use a splash of colour like the student room forum, this forum looks a bit dated,

also it should probably setup discussions maybe comps to encourage people to engage

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These are interesting suggestions but unfortunately they are unworkable.

Modding isn't a job, it's just people doing it in their spare time as a volunteer.

As an example, why would someone who is interested in soccer and posts in the Soccer forum have any interest in modding GAA? If they don't care enough to post about GAA, they aren't going to care enough to mod it. Since it's a voluntary thing a huge prerequisite is the person at least having an interest in the subject matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

This is sounding a bit like rules lawyering. Basically saying that you want a strict set of terms/phrases that if someone breaches them then they should be banned.

There was an excellent thread on the site in the days of Vbulletin where users were giving out and demanding that certain phrases were banned. The thing was that the posters who had used that phrase (it was a feedback thread about two women who had travelled to someplace during covid travel lockdowns for some cosmetic and were giving out about having to quarantine in a hotel upon their return) were all sanctioned and forum banned etc, but the person who opened the thread DEMANDED that they were made aware of the sanctions applied, and DEMANDED updates etc on any subsequent sanctions. There was a second person in that thread who repeated the phrase during that thread about 5 times, DEMANDINGit was added to a banned list thus ensuring that anyone who hadn't seen it was made aware of it.

Eventually Shield came back with an incredibly eloquent, well reasoned and thoughtful response, saying why those demands would not be met. Which resulted in the rage quit of one poster.

Having a strict set of terms/phrases that are on a ban list just means that low level trolls will work out a way around them and when they are finally warned/sanctioned etc they go running home to mammy crying out about the big bad admins/mods/cmods, because they didn't break the rules.

IF you don't understand what acting the dick, or being a muppet is then that is entirely on you. Everyone knows what tacting the dick and being a muppet means. Pretending you don't is just insulting to everyones intelligence

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be completely pointless to allow people to evade thread bans by just creating a new thread on the same topic. In such a scenario you may as well never ban anyone from a thread.

You keep mentioning being banned for disagreeing. Nobody gets thread banned for simply disagreeing. People get thread banned for bringing threads off topic, personally abusing people, trolling etc.

There are plenty of posters on this site who are able to firmly disagree with people, even firmly disagree with the majority on a thread, and not end up getting themselves thread banned or forum banned. But when the same poster shows time and again that they don't know how to engage properly on a topic the only reasonable thing to do is remove them from it, for the sake of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if you have kids ask them if they would ever think to do this. I absolutely guarantee you they will have no idea you can do this nor would ever think to do this. All the app type things they are used to doing will not work this way.

It works for you but if boards want to stay relevant it needs an app otherwise it's a dead platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Absolutely, even if you do go through this it's hairpullingly restricted on a phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That's quite disingenuous. I'd wager that the most common phrase written in DRP is some variation of "Can somebody take a look at this?". It's incredibly common for a poster to have to chase up an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Shoog

Boards never had a youth audience and never will. Its a waste of time and resources to try to attract a demographic who will never come.

"IF you don't understand what acting the dick, or being a muppet is then that is entirely on you. Everyone knows what acting the dick and being a muppet means. Pretending you don't is just insulting to everyones intelligence."

Well then at the risk of me being called a dick or muppet, can you please explain further.

It's far too easy and convenient to just say that 'Everyone knows'….. :)

You see that's not quite the experience that users are reporting here. No point in going into detailed particulars, but I and others have instanced warnings and bans that have resulted from posts that were neither uncivil or abusive. You may not want to believe it, but that's how things pan out. Here's one infraction message 'At this point it is simply soapboxing on thread and is causing considerable annoyance to other users'

So who decides what's 'soapboxing' and what are the criteria? Soapboxing is just a term for someone repeating a strongly held view maybe? The CA charter allows for this and I quote 'You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil'. So what's wrong with occasionally repeating a strongly held view and that was the situation above. As to being infracted for annoying others, surely you can see that this is quite inappropriate in a CA thread? You disagree with people in a civil way, they get annoyed and have the poster warned or banned.

Now as I've noted above, I can fully appreciate that if a CA/ Politics thread is dominated by posters with one point of view, that it can be disruptive if others disagree. That's understandable but does boards want a series of echo chambers and if it doesn't there should be a mechanism that allows for a thread to be closed and a new one started with more tolerance and/or parallel threads.

Just my two cents and suggestions. Maybe you or others have better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

It likes it that way, <mod snip> is an incredibly contrary individual

Post edited by Shield on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Being a dick is being abusive; mupperty is trolling, misrepresenting arguments, dodging questions and basically refusing to admit your augment has failed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Soap-boxing goes further than that imo. Link dumping isn't allowed, but this is similar conduct. It means hit and run drive-by postings, often variations of the same post and then not engaging with points made by others on the topic or in rebuttal to the their own posts. Sometimes it goes further than that and the "soapboxer" loudly declares they'll put anyone on ignore who responds with certain arguments to their drive by posts.

That's how I would understand soap-boxing. It is using the thread as a blog almost rather than engaging constructively in discussion with other posters.

I'm not commenting on your specific case, I am taking in generalities here as to how I would understand the term.

There's also a case to be made sometimes for the mods to step in and say ok, both posters have made their points on a particular sub-topic, let's move on.
    I would not consider that soap-boxing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement