Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The first BEMU's entered revenue service in Japan in 2014, that is 10 years ago. That is plenty of time to prove themselves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EV-E301_series

You are thinking of the BEC819 series, of where there are 18 sets.

Yes, these are all only 2 carriage sets, but that isn't a big deal, you just scale it up to the number of cars you need, each car will have it's own batteries. That is the beauty of MU's. The reason Japan only use such small units, is because most of their rail network is already electrified, so only the quietest rural branch lines need such BEMU's and they don't need more capacity. Of course that points to us really needing to electrify at least the Dublin network, which I fully support, but that doesn't mean this can't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Not sure which thread is best for this, but they specifically talk about Dart between Greystones and Wicklow (with BEMU). I didn't realize that was being considered?

They want to allow a higher frequency service from Rosslare/Wexford, and are considering a new terminus at either Wicklow or Greystones.

He said: “The current feasibility study being undertaking for the Dart battery train service between Greystones and Wicklow town, is also assessing whether that interchange should be at Wicklow or Greystones”. Mr Cregan said the feasibility study was assessing the potential for an hourly Dart, but he said work was at an early stage.

Irish Rail spokesman Barry Kenny said “delivering additional frequency on the Rosslare to Dublin line has always been challenging in the context of a high frequency Dart service from Bray to Dublin, and this challenge will increase with improvements in Greystones Dart frequency”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the main challenge is IR's complete inability to run trains to schedule. This causes massive problems on a single line section. The trains from Wexford in the morning are often running significantly late by the time they get to Greystones causing knock on effects for the Dart. How they could be consistently late on a line that has no other traffic running on it is baffling (and these are the first couple of trains of the day so they're not affected by any earlier issues). Of course Irish Rail's solution is to just get rid of the complexity and make life more difficult for passengers. I've no problem with them running extra shuttle services from Greystones but the existing Inter-City services, already the slowest in the country, should be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭prunudo

It makes no sense for a passenger traveling from Wexford to have to change at Wicklow, jump on a shuttle and then again Greystones onto normal Dart if they wish to travel to Dublin. At a very minimum the intercity should go to Bray where at least the Dart has greater frequency.

It's not very clear, but I assume the Wicklow hourly Dart (with BEMU) would be a full Dart service to city centre. I don't think the intention for Rosslare service is two changes. One would have to assume the Wicklow Dart would wait for the Rosslare service to arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Wexford trains should at least go as far as Bray to platform 3, and transfer to a waiting Dart across the platform. These could follow the same stopping pattern as the Wexford train currently does. The train could then return directly to Wexford, thus increasing the current service, and perhaps allow passengers to arrive in Wexford before midday.

A connecting Dart could arrive at the Bray platform 2 to allow Wexford passengers to transfer to the waiting Wexford train at platform 3 by just crossing the platform. Again, the connecting Dart could follow the same stopping pattern that the Wexford service currently does.

Why can the trains not run to time? It is not as if there are traffic jams to contend with.

I see, I took "a bemu between Wicklow and Greystones" as only being a shuttle service between the two.

Regarding capacity constraints between Greystones and the city. Has it ever been looked at to install a number of 3rd line passing loops where space allows. It would allow the intercity to overtake the slower dart.

I know there was talk at one stage around Redford in Greystones but, I'm sure there would be space before Killiney too. Although, it does feel that IR aren't too pushed about doing much with the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭spillit67

I don’t see the big issue, if I’m honest.

Changing trains is already the norm at Limerick Junction.

The issue would be around reservations and baggage, I would assume.

If the DART went hourly from Wicklow, it could just wait for a Rosslare train. And it wouldn’t leave a black hole in the timetable of the regular DART by being a bit delayed.

There would have to be some priority carriages that would allow for luggage space. There would be pricing considerations, I expect.

That luggage requirement could also go away if Waterford to Rosslare is reopened. I believe that these two proposals go hand in hand, although the All Ireland Rail Review makes it sound like Waterford to Rosslare would be secondary to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DART+ Coastal South could, but likely won't, look at that. But even if they do/did, there really isn't a lot of space.

Running along Google Maps, and without looking at terrain issues except when obvious, all I can see are through Woodbrook Golf Club - least disruptive to housing but likely painfully dear to CPO; and that area south of Killiney you've identified before you get in to some of the most expensive real estate going, and/or the line in a cutting. Blackrock-Booterstown would probably be impossible to get environmental approval for.

I did notice the Dargle bridge in Bray seems to be built for more than two tracks but there isn't space to do much there either.

Ideally, a passing loop needs to be relatively long to not have the slow train stuck waiting for the fast to arrive but there definitely isn't space for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

again, for passing loops to work you would need trains to run punctually. Irish Rail can't do this.

The reason they're talking about having passengers change at Wicklow or Greystones, and not Bray, is because the problems are occurring on the Bray-Greystones section. It's quite common for the Greystones Dart to be cancelled at Bray if there is an intercity running very close behind but that then results in the return service from Greystones also being cancelled.

The reference to increase frequency to Greystones in that article is the plan to increase weekday Dart services to every 20 minutes; every 30 minutes is currently the maximum possible. They haven't released the plans for how they're going to do this, but it seems there's going to be a passing section on the Greystones side and improved signalling. This will allow a Dart to leave Greystones before an incoming Dart has a arrived from Bray. However this will only work if trains are running vaguely on time, and InterCity trains coming from Wexford are a wildcard that throws the whole thing out, due to Irish Rail's previously discussed inability to keep to time.

I'd expect if they introduce a change at Wicklow Town, then the Wicklow town services will be fully integrated into the Dart timetable and not just a shuttle, as making people change twice would be ridiculous. But you'd still have the problem that Dart will have to wait for the Intercity to arrive so people can make the connection, so a late running Wexford service would throw out the whole Dart timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Scrap Dublin-Wexford intercity trains? Only the NTA could come up with such a dreadful idea: they are totally incompetent.

The Irish Times piece mentions how Wexfor traffic has doubled in recent years: so kill off a thriving service? If the only way from Arklow, Gorey, Enniscorthy and Wexford to Dublin by train invloves changing at Greystones, how many people will just get a bus up the new M10/N10 and save the hassle?

Time to blow the whistle on the NTA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

M10 and N10? Is that even planned?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thriving service, LOL. A total of 154 people boarded the train at Wexford the entire day of the rail census! That is just three coaches full the entire day!

Or a total of 446 across all those stations all day!

Is this not from the All Ireland Rail review, which was made up of a much broader grouping?

I’m trying to figure out why there is such rage here over it. Changing trains is not a big issue.

I agree that there are practicalities of it that Irish Rail could make a mess of, but the proposals seem fairly sensible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No this is not from the AIRR - it’s an NTA idea.

The issue is that people making an Intercity rail journey shouldn’t be expected to have to use a connecting service that stops at 16 intermediate stations within Dublin between Connolly and Greystones.

There is also a certain amount of comfort expected, together with basic facilities like tables at seats.

People who had a seat may end up standing for the journey in the Dublin area.

This idea completely downgrades the Intercity travel experience and lengthens the journey time even further.

While DART+ is positive for the Dublin area, the effect that it will have on Intercity services to each of Sligo, Rosslare and Belfast by lengthening journey times on those routes (due to overtaking abilities not being factored into the scheme) is just mindbogglingly shortsighted.

Not true. It is in the All Ireland Rail Review, except to Greystones rather than the Wicklow option.

But the reality is that it does share this line and it constrains capacity for both.

I think it should also be pointed out that the Westland Row to Bray line was a commuter one, then Harcourt Street closed.

The problem is that rail is not a better option right now than bus from Rosslare except for comfort. Journey times are not going to significantly improve whilst it shares the DART line.

The focus for improving speed there should be via the Waterford line.

I’m not sure how DART+ is going to make things worse for intercity.

I’ve already explained why.

Increased DART frequency with no overtaking facilities means that Sligo, Rosslare and Belfast trains will all have extended journey times due to having to trundle along between DARTs.

Comfort is a major USP of Intercity rail travel and this nonsense does nothing for it.

I hardly think talking about a service that ceased in 1958 is in any way relevant to this discussion.

Remains to be seen.

What we do actually know is that those users will see a significant improvement in options. Sligo users will likely be able to get off at Cross Guns and interchange with Metrolink in either direction. A significant improvement in where they can get to quickly in Dublin.

It doesn’t remain to be seen.

It’s physically impossible for those trains to continue at the current journey times if DART frequency, stopping at all stations, increases.

• Advertisement

The Rosslare service still takes 45+ minutes from Bray to Connolly, even if it only stops at Dun Laoghaire. It's not ideal having to change train from an intercity, but the line is seriously constrained.

The new proposal would allow significantly higher intercity frequency, at the expense of one change, but little impact on overall journey time. It's seems like a reasonable compromise.

Rosslare/Wexford passengers will be guaranteed a seat on the Dart since it's the first stop.

It remains to be seen because there are other improvements around on these lines that can be made.

No. The Irish Times clearly attributes this to the NTA.

Yes but this has been looked at in the All Ireland Rail Review too, and included from Greystones. I am assuming Wicklow was not considered as that wasn’t planned to be on the DART.

It isn’t a NTA specific proposal in a bubble.

I think there might be legitimate criticisms of this proposal but I am miffed at people ascribing malice to this.

To me there is no word of how the Rosslare line can ever see significant speed improvements on the current line, even if Bray - Greystones was “fixed”.

It’s always going to share a line with a commuter service that demands more and more frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irish pt users are historically opposed to changing because they were typically charged twice for doing so or the lack of reliability would have left them stranded. Both things have improved recently but cultures persist

This isn't a NTA thing, Irish Rail have wanted to do this for years.

This was always going to happen eventually, the same happened in Copenhagen with their S-Train network (same as DART). As they electrified lines, lines which were previously Diesel all the way to Copenhagen got cut in half, the area closer to Copenhagen was electrified and it has only S-Trains on it, while the further out parts remained Diesel, but operated only as a shuttle as far as the first S-Train station where passengers switch onto the S-Train there to continue on into Copenhagen. See the Little North Line as an example.

Ireland is somewhat unique in allowing very different types of service share tracks and not in a good way. It leads to worse frequencies, reliability, complexity.

It isn't ideal of course, but it should lead to a better service overall. More frequency, more capacity, more reliability.

But as of now, there are no such investment plans, so you’ll forgive me for repeating that as it stands, Intercity journey times will be extended as a result of DART+ on those specific routes.

Anything in the AIRR is farther down the line and is not committed to.

I don’t believe in dealing with what might happen, but rather I’m looking at the published plans that are going through the approval process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Hang on.. Passengers from Dublin to Limerick and Dublin to Tralee are expected to change trains, but the same thing is completely impossible for Rosslare passengers?

Some serious self-overgetting is needed here. The end result of this plan will be higher frequency services on that line in exchange for a single change. Travel time is unlikely to be longer, given that the current train is queing behind DART services anyway. Doing things this way allows each Rosslare-Wicklow train to do a couple of short shuttles between Wicklow and Enniscorthy in peak times before returning to Rosslare: more services without requiring more trains. Mid Wexford is where the passenger demand is coming from.

• Advertisement

Again, it diminishes the Intercity product because you’re switching from a train with comfortable seats, tables and luggage racks to a high capacity commuter train that stops at all 16 stations en route and which has none of those.

As I said above, comfort is one of the principal USPs of Intercity rail travel.

In the examples you quote, the same standard of train is maintained.

Buses already compete on journey time along the N11 corridor - this would just remove the last advantage rail has.

Advertisement