Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Yes.Ye have all the gossip. It makes for interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Good point. I think there's bad blood between her and her husbands family. Don't remember the story really cos it could be 30+ years since he died. I'll ask the mother sometime about the background

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was talking to the owner of the dairy farm that was being leased in Athlone over the weekend. There was great demand for it, the tenant has taken everything, stock land and all'

They must've got some handfull of money for the whole lot.

Unfortunately the owner isn't well, the son is working on the farm for the moment, don't know if it's signed over to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

TThis is a typical case where the whole business could be simplified. Get contractor to do machinery work .In a good set up 80 cows are very easily managed. The fact that he needs another operation is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

There's not a lot of point getting in a discussion there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He has a valid point. Most systems can be simplified by use of contractors. It frees up time, machinery and capital. However a lot of farmers have a cross between machinery disease and the want to do everything themselves.

Slightest hiccup a d the system can become unsustainable. The never ending drudgery turns a lot of young lads away from farming. But the real trouble is the need for constant labour. Not saying in this case the farm could continued to be run, but if a contractor was doing the slurry and zero grazing all along continuing milking for a 6-12 month window might be possible.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

slurry contractor was meant to pump a tank for us 2 weeks ago up to empty tanks in the uncles yard, never came, managed too get 40k gallons out yesterday on maize ground with my own gear, as ground was just about trafficable, contractors aren't the silver bullet to the above issues if your local ones aren't reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

And there are a diminishing number.ber of contractors around these parts anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I had a discectomy before Christmas 2016. I was crippled with pain for 3-4 weeks before and unable to do anything for 8 weeks after. Ine young lad in final year in college, the other lad in final leaving cert year. Farmyard is ten miles from the house. Simplified system made it manageable, cattle were on silage only. The eldest lad used to do a couple days feeding, the lad doing the leaving used to feed a day orvtwo o er the weekend and a friend and a contractor used to cover a couple of days as well during January and February.

I know iscnot a comparison with milking and calving cows, but if you add in a lot of other work along with the cows it's completely u sustainable.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Even 90% of the FRS milkers wouldn’t manage a busy day during calving , not to mind being around for night time calving. The man in question did the right thing by selling the cows and look after his health instead of the continuing hassle of trying to find a good person to run the farm. Getting contractors in sounds fine but unrealistic in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Marts are all booked out with clearance dairy sales around here is the only bother ,Kerry were back 25% milk in March .Dairying is only going one way only going one way ,it looks like the greens got their way after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The greens are a great scapegoat for everything alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who's going to buy all this stock, what price are they selling for?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

I agree with everything you’re saying. I’m in the same county as you I gather and all around us it used be dairy farms and we’re the last ones left standing now. You’d hear all this talk then of how it’s only going to be 500 cow dairy farms in another few years but the cost of buying land, renting land, putting up the buildings and then hiring the labour to help run it doesn’t even come close to adding up. There’s rumours already doing the rounds that the plan is for the Listowel plant to be shut in another few years as there’ll be no milk there for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

5 fresian heifer calves sold last night in Tralee mart for 5 euros, nothing wrong with them, from a good farm.

Then you have the fact that the bigger guys can't pay their bills. Every contractor or supplier will tell you that.

A friend of mine got hurt recently and sold out the whole herd. It's the only way unless you are going to rely on family to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Zurich have a very good accident insurance policy, in the event of the above, you can take out cover for a 1000 euro a week to cover wages for hired labour in the event you are seriously injured/unable to work, it has a partial capacity benefit too, if you broke your arm for instance so couldn't milk, you get a half rate of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are but there has never been a Green Agri Minister, not a Taoiseach or Finance Minister.

The Greens talk about it but it is FF and FG Ministers and EU that are driving it on against farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's some cover too from ifa membership

Then of course there is the FRS insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I was watching a bit of the action from tralee mart last night a sight of calves sold for a fiver each hard to figure the place out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

WE re starting to see a bit of a exodus in the west cork in the smaller category and by far the biggest trigger factor is compliance with nitrates. Age, lack of successor poor returns and the difficulties of poorer land are all factors but nitrates has provided the deadline. The new regs regarding dairy washing mean many yards require a significant investment will have to be made to comply by 1 December this year.after that many will not be able to comply with regs.many of these units would be working off a land base of 40 to 50 acres and would be in derogation but would be farming to quiet a high and efficient standard just to survive but now will not have the financial capacity to make hefty repayments.add in the fact they may have to reduce numbers to comply means the future is not positive. Recently I floated the idea of abandoning the sfp system and received very little support but it was these types of setups I had in mind rather 500 cow set ups.the huge irony is many of these people don't milk through the winter so in practice don't need this storage.if we keep turning our backside to this they will kicking it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's the eNGOs in the civil service that the fingers should be pointed at. Politicians come and go. Parties in government change, but the civil service is relatively static. It's been anti agriculture for many years now but seems to have accelerated the last few with every trick in the book being rolled out from nitrates, to methane, to banding, to storage, to N contents, etc, etc. Death by a thousand cuts, with the cuts coming via machete to speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

GGreat But, the arm thing I'd total bollix if your arm is broken your unable to work end of.(only a dairy farmer would think it partial disability😁😁) I know the point your trying to make as in your partially disables and you still get half pay partial disability is a sore leg or arm shoulder back etc. But you can still do part of your daily chores doctor here told me yo go for partial disability when he was filling forms for me. Fbd's consultant told me that I wasunfit for work and that only farmers look to go partial Disability.

Giving away beef calves for a fiver is one thing. Giving away Fr heifers is another level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Danny healy ray

i see a grand Hereford bull for 5 euro fr bull calves making more than fr heifers you couldn't make it up

Well in fairness the fr bulls weren't going great there either, musn't be shipping and shure the angus and hereford, unless you had a good strong one they were a disaster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What will happen to those calves now? Will there be a glut of 150kg runners in Sept/Oct?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement