Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The Israeli propaganda and messaging would make you dizzy.

A few months ago if irc Netanyahu was blaming the UN, Europeans, Arabs, aid agencies etc. for being slow, lazy, and disorganised with getting aid to the Gazans!

They try and get aid in, and IDF butchers them.

IMO still possible this was not ordered/planned at a high level to drive away aid workers specifically, and increase starvation, but alternative is no better really.

May be a case that Israeli "rules of engagement" in Gaza (other than please don't shoot at the fellow IDF soldiers!) are non existent now by design. It's quietly understood they can do anything and eliminate anything moving, in name of getting Hamas and it will be blessed.

edit: If irc, think I mentioned in a previous post I could see attitude from the IDF that they have a kind of free fire zone and can target who they like causing problems if the US was going to be trying hard to get more aid in. Scenario I was thinking of was IDF attacking Americans or aid workers associated with the temp. port/dock the Americans are supposed to provide.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be interesting to see what if any Iranian response will be.

I've a feeling they may have been pushed to far this time.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 51,944 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is unbelievable but exactly what Israel wants ie to starve the Gazans to death. Any self-respecting Jew should be out on the streets protesting for the children of Gaza if they had any empathy at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Now this was already linked. I'm not linking it because of the story in, but in response to an earlier post saying that October 7th is being forgotten. But the last paragraph of this is typical of most commentary on what I've seen written, a clear acknowledgement of what happened on October 7th is there. Not to be forgotten, but it's tempered with the clear acknowledgement of the death of over 30,000 others since.

What's forgotten is the endless terrorism before October 7th though, as though it were meaningless and only going one way

Almost 33,000 confirmed deaths with approx another 8,000 under the rubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hezbollah will be instructed to up the ante. A possible strike on Tel Aviv. Iran won't engage Israel directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mistake TM

IT WAS A MISTAKE EVERYONE!!! They said it’s a happy little mistake so leave Bibi alone

https://www.mediaite.com/news/idf-chief-apologizes-for-airstrike-that-killed-seven-aid-workers-this-incident-was-a-grave-mistake/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say they'd respond in kind. So you could be looking at hitting israeli interests outside of Israel.

What israel did was bomb an embassy. That's technically a strike on Iranian territory. I'd say Iran will want to do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Every Israeli embassy will be a target now. Be it in London, Paris or Washington which is probably what the zionists want to expand the conflict.

What is needed are for the eu, un, USA and various other regulatory bodies is to impose meaningful economic sanctions on Israel and stop applying a double standard given how they were to sanction Russia (rightfully so)

Companies doing business there should be made think long and hard about how and whom they are conducting business with

Yes it will lead to hardships, and people will double down in the us v then rhetoric, but its something that should've been introduced months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Military sanctions first. UN should Ban all arms trades with Israel as this is unambiguous participation in their genocide

How does Kirby keep a straight face when giving press briefings. Three strikes on the vehicles, two of which were clearly marked, yet Kirby thinks it was a mistake. It's not as if this is an aberration either- hundreds of aid workers have been killed in this conflict. The punchline of Kirby's routine is that the US state department has seen no evidence of Israel violating international law. The Israeli government know they can do whatever want. It wouldn't surprise me if the US Government is only issuing public criticism to try and placate disillusioned voters ahead of the election in November.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah both is better, but if I was to prioritise one above the other. Hurting the US and UK arms export industry in their pocket is one way to secure political will to end the war

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think this is worth reading, in light of seeing media outlets stating as fact the Netenyaho's claim it was just a mistake. I think that claim is an egregious lie:

On Tuesday, the Israeli daily Haaretz published harrowing details of the strike, citing defence sources.

According
    to the report, an Israeli drone fired three missiles, one after the
    other, at the convoy of three armoured cars – all of which were clearly
    marked on the roof and sides with the WCK’s logo – because of a
    suspicion that an armed militant was travelling with them.

Despite
    the fact that the suspect did not leave the warehouse with the rest of
    the group, the cars were hit as they travelled back along a route
    pre-approved and coordinated with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).

A
    Hermes 450 drone struck one car, causing some of the passengers to
    abandon it and switch to the other two vehicles. According to Haaretz,
    the team notified the IDF they had been attacked, but another missile
    then hit the second car.

Passengers in the
    third car tried to help the wounded, the newspaper said. According to
    the Guardian’s geolocation of the strikes, the last car was hit by a
    third missile about a mile farther south.

Firing 3 missiles at 3 clearly marked NGO relief vehicles on a claimed belief one person in one of those vehicles might have been a millitant, is not a mistake. Even had there been an iota of truth to the belief, it's still a war crime.

Of course I don't believe there was ever a suspicion of an armed millitant and that it was a deliberate killing of aid workers intended to stop the aid, because Israel is intent on genocide. The minimum governments whose citizens were murdered should be doing is asking for the unedited drone footage and audio logs of the drone operators conversations.

Haaretz has also claimed:

Israeli Army Sources: Gaza Aid Workers Killed Because 'IDF Officers on the Ground Do What They Want'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

From my information the Israeli military have declared the strike on the World Central Kitchen van to be unintentional and have promised an investigation. It's really not in Israel's interest to do things - starving civilians is more in the interests of Hamas, as this would help Hamasniks spread the "Israel bad" imagine. If I were to criticise the IDF, I'd say they're being reckless with their use of force, hence the deaths of the 3 hostages earlier in the conflict.

"End the war" with Hamas still in charge of Gaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Well at least you can agree IDF are being reckless. I think you may be coming to the realisation that you are supporting a side that does not care about innocent deaths. Only took seven aid workers to add to pile of 30k dead bodies to make you come to this conclusion.

Heard someone on local radio today explain the attack on the Aid Workers thus '' people with a high moral conscience being murdered by people with absolutely none ''. Though it described it very accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,680 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The question has to be asked why on earth a convoy of vehicles were attacked in a non combat zone. They posed no threat whatsoever to Israeli forces - it does seem like the IDF is opening fire on virtually anything that moves in Gaza.

• Advertisement

yes we’ve seen how Israeli investigations work Sean:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/09/05/middleeast/idf-shireen-abu-akleh-investigation-intl

as useless as the toilet paper I wiped with last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The US government under Joe Bidens leadership is not only turning it's back to genocide but actively supporting it with weapons. They are every single bit as bad as the Israeli's or the Russians for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That toilet paper was useful. It did the job it was supposed to, cleaned up after your ****.

And I'm sure the israeli investigation will do the same. (just not your **** this time)

Israel are doing an excellent job of that by themselves. Hamas don't need any propagandists , the IDF are doing a sterling job on their behalf

Unlike previous investigations, I think this one will lead to people being held accountable because of the pressure from their allies. If the IDF had killed seven Palestinian aid workers they'd be able to carry on a normal. Bibi didn't even see fit to apologise the families of the victims. He and Sinwar are well matched at this stage. Two vile individuals.

it is not useful to anyone now that’s the point. The investigation was only useful to Israel at the time it wiped its ass with it, for PR purposes, so they could pretend they were serious about looking into it.

You don’t need to bother with meager attempt at a witty reply until Israel actually court martials someone.

**** hell you should be using that meme on yourself.

From your information. Good one.

If it's not in their interests, they're obviously completely and utterly shite and serving their interests, like their intelligence seems to be shite and their ability to limit civilian casualties is shite.

It's amazing how they can suddenly use precision missiles too and it's an accident.

You can't be taken serious

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭scottser

I can just picture the scene, all those starving Gazan mothers holding their emaciated babies, laughing their arses off because they're getting one over on Israel.

I'll say one thing for you Sean, you bring the intelligence quotient on here all the way down.

for MONTHS we hear ah yeah Israel are so moral because their missiles are so precise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A long read but very informative

"Two sources said that during the early weeks of the war they were
    permitted to kill 15 or 20 civilians during airstrikes on low-ranking
    militants. Attacks on such targets were typically carried out using
    unguided munitions known as “dumb bombs”, the sources said, destroying
    entire homes and killing all their occupants."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/03/israel-gaza-ai-database-hamas-airstrikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Honestly, its just downright depressing. As much as I would love to see sanctions, meaningful retribution and accountability for Israel I just don't see it happening right now. US just sitting on the sidelines, happily arming Israel and platitudes to innocent victims. Reading up on the attack on the aid workers, three missiles, three cars, and after getting into the final car to try escape, obliterating that one too AFTER the aid workers had contact IDF to inform them it was them. Just vile. An investigation will be conducted my a$$.

@SeanW, no surprise you are defending them here. If its not in Israels interest/policies to starve the people in Gaza, answer me why the IDF leave Israeli citizens to block aid from entering…

Advertisement