Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

If the Ukrainian's know full well then why is Zelensky having to ram through laws to force people of a lower age to fight? Surely all these able bodied men and women should have come forward already to save their country. Seems it is difficult tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Ukrainian military doctrine is not the Russian one. The Russian military doctrine is to throw expendable grunts at the guns until the enemy runs out of ammo and incrementally take ground. This is how they took Bakhmut via Wagner telling prisoners to go to the front. Avdiivka the same kind of idea. Ukraine, by necessity, has to be more conservative and are currently trying a more asymmetrical approach to hit Russian supply lines and defend in depth. It's not quite a case of sending their young to a guaranteed death, though this is not to understate the inherently dangerous nature of war.

Ultimately, if young Ukrainians do not want to fight, that should be their choice to leave, and if they were to, say, vote out Zelenskyy for someone with a more conciliatory mindset toward Russia, that would be their choice, too, obviously. If they're willing to live with whatever that brings over continuing to fight, then I can't really say anything but OK. It's up to them, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭jmreire

I like your use of the word "RAM" through, very Putin like, because it's what he does all the time. Zelenski brought a proposal to government to increase the scope of mobilisation, and it was passed. And it's now the law of the land. I take it that you obey the laws of the Country you live in. Democracy in action. Unlike Putin who dictates, no discussion, because that's what dictators do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

may be of interest to some

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/30272

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm like a broken record saying this but every month it seems to reach new heights. Russian equipment losses with their constant attacks is staggering. Completely unsustainable but Putin has obviously taken the approach. There's no good saving anything for a future war. He's going to literally use up every drivable tank, APV and artillery piece he's got in storage.

And why not use as much as possible now while the Ukrainians are lacking ammo. No point using them in 2 year's when ammo could be plentiful. Despite the constant waves doesn't look like their recent momentum was sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

One of the people I follow on youtube was suggesting that the big missile campaign was to force Ukraine to move air defence back for the frontline to protect deeper assets, they were taking out too many planes near the frontline.

One interesting thing will be, can Russia keep up the big volume of missiles? Overall it feels like the volume this winter was way lower than last, or maybe much less getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This war is annoying me more and more. If Ukraine gets the aid it needs I have no doubt how this goes. The west is literally giving Putin a shot at winning when we could deal with the fcucker for what in GDP terms is a fairly small amount. Russian losses of equipment and men is massive, they simply cannot sustain it if we just give Ukraine what they need to hold the line and even make a few gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Agree.

Unfortunately the West have left it too late.

But Ukraine really gave it some shot. No one would have predicted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah makes sense for Ukraine to have their AA closer to the frontlines but like that Russia are hitting rear high value energy targets to force Ukraine to move these back and if they do then that gives Russia an advantage at the front lines as they can use their fighter planes etc. more freely then near the from lines, it's a vicious circle Ukraine are in at the moment regarding this. There is definitely gaps appearing in the Ukrainian air defense where Russia are getting through (could say the same I suppose about Russia as there getting hit by drones in their territory but I just think it's different).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Have Ukraine suddenly collapsed? They are still giving it some shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Manpower “issue” for Ukraine can be summed up in headline “Ukrainian soldiers are tired after two years” which implies majority survive

Meanwhile Russian headlines are “drafting 30,000 a month to keep war going” which lines up with 1000 dead per day

That’s a towering performance right there from Ukraine 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Russia gave it some shot and failed miserably, no one would have predicted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Our response in the west has been a stain on us all. Half hearted drib drab supplies of weapons whilst brave Ukrainian warriors die is large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This is a great point. There is definitely close to 1,000 dead or incapacitated per day otherwise you'd not be seeing such large numbers drafted. I wonder if this next batch of 150k is on top of the 30k a month Putin always recruits or if it's just the regular five months worth. It did say before the end of August which is 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

It also means Ukraine has a much smaller pool available. Many men of fighting age have left the country or do what it takes not to have to fight. So it's still a serious issue. Russia can "afford" to lose more soldiers than Ukraine can and still keep fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

3rd time lucky? Let's hope so, they're saying first half of 2024, which gives them three more months:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia launched an attack to take Kharkiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Indeed. Working in the industry I can tell you that Russia had started making their own aircraft using parts that were manufactured by an OEM that I work. The parts were made but all support activity ceased and even moved plants out of russia and the OEM in line with sanctions banned support or provision of spare parts for them. This applies to any and all aircraft in Russia that this OE has content on. So essentially they are worthless now and would be a nightmare to recertify to get them back into service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip - i am anecdotally seeing on soc media ( no MSM mentioning it yet ) that there is a large uptick in citizens getting out of dodge leaving Kharkiv. Unfortunately its pretty much on the Russia border and has a population of about 1.5m. All these people will start moving west, so over the summer i would not be surprised seeing a further refugee flow into rest of Europe similar to post Feb 2022.

in general it is a numbers game. Ukraine has a population of 40m approx, Russia has a pop of 145m approx. russia has an authoritarian regime so less options to avoid getting dumped to the front line. Re population + lets use the word zero empathy for human life, just math & lack of value for life says russia is way ahead here. From reading up on Ukraine last good while it seems the majority of those fighting on the front lines have been doing so for the last two years without much break or replacement. Thats simply unsustainable. This summer is make or break - make for Russia, unfortunately big break for Ukraine :(

Also lets face it - Russia getting endless weapons supply from like minded allies + west STILL using & paying for much of Russia's oil etc. Ukraine NOT getting endless weapons supply from its "allies" 9 the west ) and also being hampered by the wests rules of DO NOT hit or attack Russia with western weapons etc

All this is leading me to conclude, when you factor in above - this was always doomed to fail for Ukraine. Unless the west / Ukraines partners step up like they havent done before, and even at that they might achive just holding the line. Manpower is the thing I think and the west / nato will not be supplying that in theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, it's just wishful thinking by some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

At the outset of the war if anyone predicted that Russia would lose all the manpower and equipment that they have no on would believe it. All the planes, helicopters, ships of all things, on top of catastrophic quantities of artillery shells and equipment, tanks etc.

Indeed if at the outset you said Russia would expend all that they have, people would be saying they would be in Warsaw now, not just Kiev. What Ukraine have achieved to date is incredible. Shame on the western world for their lack of support.

This war is so important, defeating Putin is so important, he is the figure head and facilitator for dictatorships around the world. I know that it's possible the US and NATO fear a broken up Russia with nuclear warheads in the hands of various factions, and maybe that forms part of the doctrine of support for defence rather than attack.

Overall we are watching a sea change in the shaping of world power and alliances. Alternative facilities and in the longer term renewables have and will reduce the power element of many nations including Russia. Would we have believed that Europe would be fine for two winters without Russian gas and oil? Europe will never again be dependant on Russian energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

At the outset of the war if anyone predicted that Ukraine would still be effectively fighting two years later no one would believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭jonnreeks

If the US Congress eventually vote through more financial aid to the Ukraine war effort, will it make a change to the current state of the war!

From what I understand the US has the biggest infrastructural industry for making and supplying ammunition quickly!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement