Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's true for sure, but I think somewhat misses the point the poster was making - which is that people talk about Kenny causing lasting damage to Irish football, which really is only something that can be argued through rankings. Having a bad few years in and of themselves doesn't really matter, that's an issue while it's happening, but doesn't really impact a new guy coming in and doing better. International football basically hard-resets with a new manager, since the player pool is static (short of falling out with lads so badly they refuse to come back, which of course hasn't happened under Kenny). The more damning argument is that a future manager may have a tougher road thanks to the poorer rankings - which is where the comparison with Trap comes in, showing that we recovered quite quickly from the poor ranking he had left us with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭bren2001

why can it only be argued through rankings? It’s a data point.

Rankings are the only real lasting impact a past manager has on a future manager's tenure, short of some major falling outs, which haven't happened here.

And why is it confined to the impact it has on the next manager? That wasn’t the OPs point, was it?

How would you look to expand on it beyond its impact at the next managers tenure? Do you think anything Kenny has done extends beyond lowering our ranking position? I don't see it… lots of young players got experience in what is basically their side gig a few times a year away from their actual week-in-week-out footballing jobs. We would have liked better results than we got, such is life, they'll now do whatever the new guy asks them to do and we'll see what that gets us. The only tangible carry-over, for me, is that the next person might have a tougher group than they otherwise would have as a result of the ranking. What do you think he's done that has caused more lasting damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Our seeding would be an obvious one.

The failure to get enough results to get a playoff that the likes of Georgia, Greece and Wales got would be another.

Yeah, the ranking/seeding is what I'm pointing out. I don't see how the second one impacts anyone for future campaigns though? That's all done now, and while disappointing, it doesn't really impact our next manager's WC or Euro campaigns.

you’re making an entirely different point to the OP

I'm addressing this point by the other chap; I don't buy this narrative he's plunged us into the dark ages all by himself. For one thing when Trap left we were 5 places lower in the World rankings and he's generally viewed as one of our most successful ever managers.

Which you followed up by pointing out how much better Trap did with us, saying they're not comparable. Which I agree with in a broad sense, but they did both leave us with the same set of circumstances for the next guy — a poor ranking/seeding position.

That's my reading of the point at least.

I’ve a different reading of “he’s plunged us into the dark ages”. The OP has been making a different point this entire time.

We were in a much better position after Trap then where we are now. Not all of that is Kenny’s fault, Trap left us with better players. We qualified for the next tournament. We made the playoffs for the next World Cup.

Rankings/seedings are not the same thing. The world rankings are used for FIFA, the UEFA coefficient/NL is used for UEFA comps. We are pot 3 seeds for the next NL, that’s Kenny’s fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You can put the tinfoil hat away, nothing to reveal. There was an inference in your post that we should be beating the likes of Albania. I was pointing out that they're a much stronger proposition than they used to be. They're going to the their 2nd Euros out of 3 tournaments and have just topped their qualifying group. They're not a gimme for anyone anymore.

They came bottom of a NL group with Israel and Iceland. Russia obviously don’t count in that group. They’re not on a different level to us yet they can top a group but we’d fail to come top 2 in every other Euros group.

Your statement makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We’re not a gimme for nearly anyone either but we were and had became that under the last manager because he was out of his depth and he was left there too long because the inept FAI couldn’t figure out what else to do. Even if it’s to be O’Shea and Kerr who ends up getting the job and a contract for 2 to 4 years they will likely bring about improvements. The disingenuous argument from you and a couple of others on here, that reads like some attempt to continue to defend Kenny even though he’s 5 months gone, appears to be that it makes no difference who the manager is or was, there was even one saying it’d been better to continue with Kenny if it’s O’Shea that ends up with the job. Absolute nonsense.

O’Shea even in the short term will be a huge improvement on Kenny. Neil Lennon who wanted the job would have been a huge improvement on Kenny. Roy Keane would short term as well although some other poster says we couldn’t afford him but we don’t actually know if that was the case. Kenny is gone it got worse the longer he was there, the FAI need to make an appointment even if it is O’Shea with Kerr so we can move on and leave behind these pathetic negative prognostications from arguments such as yours. We have a Nations League group in the Autumn with glamour ties v England, we have Greece and Finland. Make an appointment and get on with it and forget these pointless negative meanderings which read likes excuses for the last manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not sure why you’d think a manager duo consisting of someone with no experience and someone who’s already underperformed with Ireland(and has been out of the game for years) are likely to be huge improvements on Kenny. From what we’ve seen so far I would say it would probably be a continuation of what we’ve seen.

At this stage we may as well give it to Lennon as he’s probably the cheapest interested candidate with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

bazunu now statistically (Xg faced compared to actual goals conceded) the worst keeper in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is it just the championship or both the PL and Championship? Can't put all the blame in him of course but nevertheless, not a good statistic.

Haven’t the FAI needlessly burned their bridges with Lennon? They’ve made a mess of it and after they give it to O’Shea and Kerr the lot of them should be sacked for the way they have botched the whole process.

I don’t think he was great for that Ipswich first goal yesterday. It was a good shot that he may not have stopped if he got a hand to it but he seemed to dive under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

is there a date for tthe FAI to make an announcement and end this farce

They said they are on track to stick to their April announcement last week. I assume that was Poyet so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Niall_76

But what makes you so confident O’Shea will be a huge improvement on Kenny? I can’t see what that is based on.

The fact he was already involved under Kenny would rule him out for me, especially as he has not a lot of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If O'Shea was a serious option then Kenny should have been sacked early and O'Shea given the last two International windows as an audition.

Circling back to him after we have turned down better candidates (people can like it or lump it, but Bruce and Lennon would be superior options) would be a further representation of deep organisational incompetence. I understand all the ways Delaney was toxic; but serious serious questions should be asked about the current executive group at the FAI.

I'm starting to wonder was the FAI ran better under Delaney at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

You mean the guy that nearly bankrupted the organisation? That only for government assistance it would have went to the wall.

• Advertisement

It’s tongue in cheek…

Man appointed managers at the very least. Managed to get a shirt sponsor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The man who bankrupted the FAI and made a fortune for himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

Aren’t Sky our shirt sponsors now?

They are, and Denis O'Brien funded the managers that were hired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You doubled down by saying he got a manager appointment and a shirt sponsor, where’s the tongue in cheek?

Factually correct statements. JD was so good, he sometimes appointed 2 at a time with the rumoured third hired as a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

just hire Gus and get the f on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The current crowd are clearly just as incompetent as JD it seems. Making it up as they go along pretending everything is under control and planned. What a pathetic organisation.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Failed manager of the Greek International football team seems to be the favoured. He may be the most experienced candidate but it would still be depressing.

I'd rather they take the higher risk, higher reward option and choose JOS. We have absolutely nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

JD hoodwinked many members of the FAI and acted like he almost owned the FAI, governance was non existent. The net result was a bankrupt Association . There is definitely governance now but their financial status has not really improved in anyway significantly. The funds and budget available to hire a new manager and backup team significantly affects the choice of candidates available to them, there is no getting away from this fact. Very few other national Football Associations have an organisation like the GAA to compete with in all aspects . They are in an unenviable situation and it will need substantial funding . Duffer speaks a lot of sense when you listen to his views on our National league and how it should be run and improved. The multiple decades of treating it as the FAI's problem child has us where we are. As Duffer said " where do we expect future players to come from ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say it was complicity, willfull ignorance or incompetence rather than being hoodwinked. I remember being in Prague and Bratislava during the Staunton era and people as far back as that calling for JDs head. Everyone involved was complicit to some degree or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Really becoming a laughing stock at this stage, no wonder people are starting to lose interest in the team.

I don’t know anyone who is losing interest in the team. One thing Kenny did was sell seats. Both friendlies were well attended last week.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't mean that we have absolutely nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Higher risk, high reward but also high negative impact.

Like lots of people, not keen on Poyet. But I want an experienced manager taking over this team to put us back on some kind of competitive footing.

JOS will need at least 2 years to build up some experience...can we afford taking thst chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

The FAI have turned themselves into a laughing stock at their attempts to hire a new manager -I thought Hill was gone last week how has he been let stay on ?

Hey remember the lads on here who dismissed suggestions this was an extremely unappealing job and of coarse poyet would want it

I also remember further back, people (often journalists) saying we were totally overpaying for managers, using it as a stick to beat Martin Oneill, and that we should get a capable manager for far less. That doesn’t seem to be borne out my actual events of the past few months.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

We were overpaying for managers of MoN's caliber. We could sign Lennon within our current budget by all accounts for one.

Almost certainly turned a profit on his appointment all the same. Maybe we were overpaying but this narrative that we could pay far less for the same results that was put out by journalists doesn’t seem to have been borne out by reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

But your comparing apples and oranges. The teams available to Mon and Trap were vastly superior to what was available to Kenny and even Mick.

Hard to know if there was a profit being turned tbh, i mean the FAI couldn't release Dundalk's Euro money when it was requested for example.

they turned profits on the appointments I mean. The fai did and continue to work off a failed financial model where all their income comes off the senior men’s team but that team did bring in good money from sponsorship, attendances and qualification under Mon.

Vastly superior…don’t know about that really. Mon’s team wasn’t great at all. They had a knack of scoring one goal in 90 mins (often off a set piece) and usually conceding one per 90 and being normally able to put away the lower seeds at home and often draw away and always beat the ditty teams.

If the current Irish team had a decent manager you’d imagine they could do something similar. It’s not very ambitious. We just got obsessed with playing passing football out from the back under Kenny and now most seem to realize we don’t have the players for that.

The problems are we don’t have money to appoint a manager the supporters would be in favour of and our main target has a great job as it is. The Irish job, in comparison, is a very tough job.

for all the talk about the fai botching the search for a new manager, I’m not hearing many good suggestions of what they should have done differently.

• Advertisement

Its high risk but is it higher reward? Poyet clearly demonstrated with Greece he can get a team competitive for qualifying. There's not much else beyond that an Irish team can achieve. Appointing JOS is just high risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement