Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: In the examples you quote, the same standard of train is maintained.

I went from Heuston to Limerick, change at Limerick Junction. Heuston to LJ was in a quiet, comfortable 22000 train. LJ to Limerick was in a noisy full uncomfortable 29000.

Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The connection is now mainly 22k operated, and it would have been a 2800 as the 29k sets only operate out of Connolly.

However the 2800s do have toilets, tables, and luggage racks, which DART doesn’t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

2800 or 29K - it was green and noisy, and full. 22K are nice and quiet and silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A better solution is to actually make a hybrid of the issues for the Rosslare / Wexford trains.

A direct intercity service should be maintained, like in the case of Limerick and Tralee with no changes required. Clever timetabling and some extra crossovers, could allow for one over taking en route in both directions, plus the use of Dun Laoghaire as a starting point and making Dart passengers change and not intercity. It is important to keep direct services.

For the others the turning back of services at Greystones (putting in a platform where the sidings are currently) and increasing the frequency on the line as a whole between Wexford and Greystones, thus freeing up the single line between Greystones and Bray.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm sorry, but this is only an intercity service in name. No disrespect, but Wexford isn't a city. There is no city on this service other then Dublin.

In reality beyond Wicklow, this is a sleepy, slow, low frequency rural service serving a number of small towns that carries just 500 people per day total.

Equating this line to the other intercity services and talking about USP is utterly silly stuff.

Buses already compete on journey time along the N11 corridor - this would just remove the last advantage rail has.

So what? If they offer a good service that is in demand, what is wrong with that?

It is faster, cheaper, more frequent and serves much more useful stops like UCD, DCU and the airport.

Having said that, I'd expect that a more frequent service to Wexford would lead to more passengers, not less.

• Advertisement

It is a route operated by Intercity standard trains.

Whether there are cities involved at either end is beside the point - it’s a brand.

Let’s be honest you prefer coaches and that’s your personal view. It doesn’t mean that everyone else shares it or has to accept it. There’s no need to be so condescending about it. I do think USP’s are relevant, and being insulting about it isn’t adding to the discussion.

For plenty of people those positive aspects of rail travel do still matter.

There is nothing to stop more through trains from operating on the route except driver resources right now.

By having two ICRs cross at Greystones (replacing a DART between Bray and Greystones) you could still maintain frequency levels between Dublin and Greystones and increase frequency further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That reasoning would make the Hazelhatch/Newbridge-GCD services Intercity.

The only trapping of a "real" Intercity service it has is seat reservations; which rarely work - but that's pretty much the same for other IC services bar Cork these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@LxFlyer Let's not kid ourselves here. The "Rosslare" service is de facto a Dublin commuter line. It's even included on the DART timetables.

You seem very sure that the result would be slower than at present, when DART services actually make the Greystones to Connolly run in the same time that the mainline train does (58-60 minutes), despite serving far more stations. For passengers with destinations on those DART-only stations, or any destination north of Connolly, this arrangement is better than at present. Plus it would allow more frequent services from Wexford.

DARTs still don’t and won’t have tables, comfortable seats, luggage racks and importantly toilets.

People can try as much as they like to convince me that this would be an improvement, but forcing people to switch mid-journey from a train that does have all of those to one that doesn’t is not an improvement in my view.

It also extends journey times by up to 10 minutes more on a route where they are slow enough as it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've never been on the Wexford Bus, so I can't speak to it's comfort. It isn't true that I "prefer coaches", it is more of a case that I'll happily change between coach and train depending on the destination, time, cost, etc.

I've travelled on almost every type of train currently in Ireland and many coach services. They both have the pros and cons, but both work fine, without really being much better then the other IMO.

For plenty of people those positive aspects of rail travel do still matter.

That is the point, very few choose to take this train, just 500 a day! It is almost a failed line already.

While this service will change, with greater frequency I expect it will actually become more useful and see an uptake in passengers, rather then a lose.

And of course it will be great for the people of Greystones to Wicklow which will see a greatly enhanced service and this will all likely lead to far more people using trains.

That is the point, more people using public transport and in this case rail, that is a win.

• Advertisement

The train is included in the DART timetable to show all services on the route as are the Enterprise services - I hardly think that’s a winning argument here.

Of course journey times will be longer - the connection alone will add about 10 mins as you have to add recovery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lets all be honest here, IR don't have the appetite or will to improve the line itself. DART is the best boy in town and they will be delighted it they could remove the constraints the Rosslare service brings.

The sad reality is, unless they add an extra line or passing loops, a compromise in Rosslare service will have to be reached if they wish to improve the Dart service.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭spillit67

All services are seeing investment and are at various stage of progression.

What precisely any “delays” on these lines would entail is an unknown.

People switch trains all the time, it isn’t a big deal.

Once again, despite you not being aware of this, various bodies looked at this as part of the All Ireland Rail Review and concluded the same thing.

If you want better “intercity” speeds to beat coaches, that will only come from Rosslare - Waterford - Dublin.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on exactly what these investments are on the Sligo, Belfast and Rosslare routes on the Irish Rail network?

3 hours by train from Rosslare. If you have to change for 5 mins for a DART, it isn’t going to make a big difference to that choice, the same way it makes little difference on the Cork to Dublin route.

I would imagine the reason why most would choose the train over the bus right now is down to timetables and where they are specifically going in Dublin.

Well the Belfast route will go to an hourly frequency next year as the ICR's enter service.

A tender is out for the Enterprise replacement.

DART+ will electrify the line as far as Drogheda (which the new Enterprise trains will likely use).

Quad tracking the northern line is currently being studied.

There are longer term plans to electrify (AC) the rest of the line to Belfast.

And conversely the Rosslare line cannot become its best self with the DART there. It operates along a line which for much of it in Dublin was BUILT for commuter rail. Unlike the northern DART, quad tracking is wholly unrealistic given Blackrock and Booterstown. And quite frankly, if we are going to spend money in expensive south Dublin on more overland heavy rail, we may as well do it away from the coast.

The long term solution is Waterford and adding in an actually city (albeit tiny) to a route that could become very important in time.

Well I was actually asking the other poster as they keep bringing it up.

The quad tracking is only at feasibility study stage and that hasn’t even started. It may still never happen. I believe it will eventually (and I’ve been one of main advocates for it on these boards), but that’s still not remotely at probable stage yet.

None of those other items result in speed improvements for the Enterprise because they’ll be stuck in between all stops DARTs.

I’m interested in exactly what investment is happening on those specific routes that the other poster is saying is happening that will deliver speed improvements.

And thats why I posted earlier about the idea of passing loops. IR would rather make the Rosslare service inferior, than address the infrastructure constraints. Yes it will cost money, yes it will upset some connected people who think they're above everyone else.

But reality is, as the population increases it will have to be addressed properly in the future.

The existing tender for the new Enterprise fleet envisages a two hour journey for a 2029 rollout as opposed to the current times. Many specific small improvements can be made that do not require detailed railway orders (money is a requirement).

There is also not a necessity to stop every stop along existing lines as there is now with for example the Sligo line at Maynooth. Why stop there all the time if there’s a DART?

The impact of Spencer Dock station and releasing Connolly constraints also needs to be considered.

In terms of “hard plans”, the addition of Metrolink at say Cross Guns could dramatically improve the ability of people to get where they actually want to go.

What are the time delays you want to outline to us? Given that you were unaware of the contents of the All Ireland Rail Review, I don’t hold out much hope.

• Advertisement

Speed isn't the only way to improve a rail service! Capacity is just as important. Our rail network may not have gotten much faster over the past decades, but it carries VASTLY more passengers then in the past and in the end, that is the main goal.

Having said that, the new Enterprises are being specced to higher speed, them being able to use the DART's overhead wires will lead to faster speeds and of course future electrification. And if the quad tracking gets done that will absolutely help too.

There is lots of proposed investment to all routes in the AIRR, sure they will take time, but it is a positive to have that plan.

But if you want people to choose train over coaches, improvements in speed is a important facter.

It’s just not going to happen to the degree hoped for along the existing line to Wexford though.

The Waterford route just makes so much more sense to put investment in whilst improving the operational frequency of this proposal which would serve more commuter types.

And hopefully they will, but the other poster repeatedly kept telling me that there were other investments happening that would negate any longer journey times that DART+ would cause for Intercity services.

As it turns out they’re referring to potential changes that might happen as opposed to things that definitely are.

That’s kind of important when talking about things like this.

But I don't! They are both public transport.

I want people to choose public transport, either coach or train, over the car.

I really don't understand why some people on this forum are so jealous of the intercity coaches. They have been a brilliant extra service added to the options available to the travelling public and have resulted in taking cars off the road.

And they have forced Irish Rail to compete and improve. That is a good thing.

Having said that I do want to see reasonable speed increases to intercity services, but to try and attract people out of cars, not some misplaced thoughts of pulling people from the coaches. If that is all spending hundreds and millions or billions on improving rail does, then that would be a major fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There is also not a necessity to stop every stop along existing lines as there is now with for example the Sligo line at Maynooth. Why stop there all the time if there’s a DART?

why not stop there, the InterCity is going to be stuck behind a Dart anyway, same as the Wexford train currently.

Are there actually any published plans to extend the Dart to Wicklow?

Or any plans to have trains timetabled to arrive in Wexford from Dublin before midday?

Just to be clear, there are in fact works under way on the various lines right now to enable speed improvements. For instance these improvements have started actually showing up on the Cork schedule, but those sort of works are also happening on the Belfast line at the moment, including for instance the new Belfast rail station, which will lead to speed improvements.

These are more ongoing, constant improvements, rather then a single big ban project, but they are important and it is a smart way to gradually improve the network IMO.

The AIRR also includes some more radical long term plans, but there are real improvements happening right now and more to come.

How does the going the Waterford line improve the service north of Enniscorthy?

The line will have to have improvements in the future. It may be a hard pill for leafy southsiders to stomach. But as the population increases, the current set up will become even more overwhelmed.

• Advertisement

I didn’t, what I said was that it is an unknown as there are so many variable factors to get to before DART+ is operational.

That goes from hard “plans” to more aspirational ones. The Enterprise fleet is absolutely getting improved with two hour journeys signalled. We are getting electrification along parts of these lines. We are getting new stations in arguably better locations (like Cross Guns) for where people actually want to go.

This also comes down to simple things like timetabling and number of stops inter cities take - part of the stretch in Enterprise is because of that.

You haven’t actually articulated what the delays could be.

Let’s go back to what we know here.

• changing trains is not unique, it happens elsewhere daily
    • 5-10 mins is not material on a 3 hour journey
    • The numbers taking the Rosslare route are small from southern Wexford.
    • This proposal envisages improving frequency for all users

Finally, as has been stated (which you were unaware of), this has been looked at in the more “aspirational” All Ireland Railway Review. If that came to the conclusion that switching was necessary, then there’s not much more to be said. It’s delusional to think that a few people who don’t want to switch train takes precedence over a service that was always commuter in nature.

Advertisement