Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭spillit67

This proposal envisages more frequency, that is a huge improvement in service.

Indeed if they wanted to, with Waterford up and running @ 2 hours, they could also head back towards Wexford town to the new station proposed to take the “direct” service which could be more advantageous if over the Heuston side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All of that is purely aspirational - there’s nothing actually planned from any of that.

I’ve heard 2 hour journey times between Dublin and Belfast quoted as a goal since the 1980s and I’m still waiting sadly for it.

They may happen but there is no guarantee they will (and certainly not before DART+ is finished). And that’s what I was getting at. At the moment there is no definite plan for that scale of investment, just aspirations.

As for how DART+ will result in longer journey times, well if you take Dublin-Maynooth then current frequency off-peak to and from Maynooth is every 30 mins allowing the Sligo train to run at line speed for some of that journey. Increasing the DART frequency to every 10 mins (as the NTA wish to do) means that simply won’t be possible as the Sligo services will have to travel at the same speed as the DART (which will stop at all stations) the whole way to Maynooth, which will inevitably mean it will take longer.

There are no locations where the Sligo services can overtake the DART included in DART+ between Connolly and Maynooth so hence they will be restricted to travel at the same speed as the services directly in front of them. The laws of physics dictate that much.

Maynooth is (courtesy of the university) a major traffic generator for points west along the Sligo line so it would make no point to remove it as a stop on Sligo services.

There is nothing currently under way on the Sligo route that will deliver faster Intercity services, and DART+ will mean that Intercity services will take longer between Dublin and Drogheda as they’ll be stuck behind slower DARTs.

It isn’t aspiration. It’s in the tender documents for Enterprise, did you miss that along with the All Ireland Rail Review?

There are small incremental improvements along with impact of the fleet that could get there without quad tracking.

Again, please articulate how long the delays will be. Why can’t you?

Your arguments don’t stand up here I’m afraid, not least because you didn’t seem to be aware of the All Ireland Rail Review.

I am a rail enthusiast but they should not “run” just because someone prefers them to another mode of Public Transport. The primary goal has to be to get more people using them and that comes from population centres. The 5 to 10 minute switch here is likely not going to stop someone already taking the service. If it has a 50% impact on the few hundred that take it from that far south, that would he more than swallowed up by improved services at Greystones. Thems the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shrug, so be it!

In an ideal world, you want to improve both intercity and commuter services. But in the real world you hit constraints, time, money, capacity, etc. If you do, well commuter services simply take priority.

You have to prioritise people going to work/school 5 days a week over someone travelling intercity once a month or whatever. It will take far more cars off the road then intercity will.

It really is as simple as that. You might not like it, but in the end you know it is logically correct.

Having said that the Sligo line is definitely a line that can be improved to keep up and the Cork and Belfast lines will also definitely see significant speed improvements. The Wexford line is definitely the odd one out. No cheap and easy way to continue direct services to Dublin and far too few people using it.

Again with these changes far more people will end up using rail then today and that is the goal.

Look with the best will in the world, the AIRR is a very positive document but there’s no guarantee that it will be implemented.

I could come up with countless improvements that I think should happen but they may never see the light of day. You can probably say the same for many of the proposals in that document sadly.

The Enterprise tender specifies trains capable of delivering that journey time. I’m pretty sure that with the necessary line improvements delivered that the De Dietrich’s could do just that as well.

That doesn’t mean that the necessary line improvements will happen. It just means that tenders have been published looking for trains that will be capable of delivering those journey times if the necessary infrastructure investment actually happens.

I may be labouring this but until you actually see funding committed for the infrastructure then it’s just aspirational.

What I know is happening is DART+ and right now because of the sub-standard infrastructure that it will operate along, with virtually no overtaking abilities, that inevitably means that the Intercity services will be impacted by the DART ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 orb123

If they proceed with a shuttle, it needs careful planning. For Wicklow, installing a lift at platform #2 is needed for wheelchair access, along with adequate shelter.

I understand the skepticism; there's been only one additional service provided in the past decade, and the quality of the carriages when the 29000's are used can be very poor. The current 5 hr 35 minute gap between the last morning service and the first afternoon service is frankly pathetic. But let's face it, IrishRail's plans up to 2050 don't include any major upgrades for the line. I can't see that changing.

A report by Matt McDonald done as part of the N11/N25 upgrade project explored both potential frequency and speed enhancements on the line. It suggests there could demand for 700 more passengers during morning rush hour, requiring infrastructure upgrades to fully realise that (an additional loop/platform at Wexford + dynamic loops between Arklow and Wexford)

In the short term, a two-hourly shuttle to Rosslare could boost line frequency significantly. Long-term, a 30-minute shuttle to Gorey is proposed by IrishRail which is a huge improvement to what we have now.

Well if I am having a discussion about this sort of thing it is nice to know that we are discussing actual improvements that are happening rather than aspirational ones, which the other poster was doing.

Otherwise it's pointless.

In terms of journey times:

Connolly-Maynooth takes 36 minutes with one stop for an ICR. An all stops service takes 44 minutes. You might shave 2-3 mins off that using DART, but that still means that the Sligo service will take at last 41 mins which is another 5 mins added to the journey time.

For reference Connolly-Maynooth back in 1985 took 27 mins non-stop.

Connolly-Drogheda takes the Enterprise 34 mins, and that's with the train ahead of it being a semi-fast, leaving 20 mins ahead of it and first stop Malahide. The current DART+ proposal is for increased frequency to/from Drogheda and trains stopping at every station en route. With the only overtaking ability being at Clongriffin (and northbound potentially between Skerries and Balbriggan), with every DART staying on the Northern Line (nothing leaving at Howth Junction) then that means a far longer run behind a stopping service, and that will mean longer journey times.

I am merely making the point that no provision for additional overtaking abilities is contained in DART+ (save for a southbound loop at Clongriffin), and that's not good for Intercity journeys. The NTA did not even consider them as part of the proposals and that's disappointing to say the least.

• Advertisement

Just to make one last point.

There is nothing to stop any additional Rosslare services running to/from Connolly.

Yes they will be as slow as the DART, but with potentially 20 paths each hour between Connolly and Bray as a result of DART+, crossing two ICRs at Greystones and letting them use the DART path between Bray and Greystones means it is perfectly possible to maintain through services.

What the NTA are floating is their view of what the best solution is. It's not the only one possible.

There is a difference between the theory of possible paths and what can actually be achieved in a reliable manner.

DMU's operating on an electrified line with high frequency service are always going to have a negative impact on the quality and reliability of the EMU service, specially when those DMU's operate from far outside of the electrified network and can thus be delayed.

There are very good reasons why Copenhagen doesn't operate DMU's on their S-Train network and instead has them operate as a shuttle service.

This change will significantly increase the capacity and reliability of the DART network, while also bringing significant frequency and capacity improvements to Greystones to Wexford. A win, win all round.

You have your opinion. I have mine. We aren’t going to agree.

Let’s leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Seems likely that this will kill the Rosslare service off. Perhaps is what IÉ want but its a rather bleak look.

It isn't theory, it is fact. It is a really bad idea mixing different types of service on the same track.

Other European countries would never dream of mixing services like this. Copenhagen don't, Berlin doesn't, etc.

You and I might have a different opinion if this "intercity" service should be prioritised or DART services. But the reality is as this line gets busier, something was always going to give.

Irish Rail are starting to come around to the benefits of separating out services, which is why they are looking to quad track the busier line sections now and the AIRR even suggest some completely new alignments like on the Belfast and Cork line.

Respectfully again, let’s leave it.

I’ve better things to be doing with my time this evening than perpetuating a discussion in which you and I are never going to agree.

We are both entitled to our views.

So please let’s just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

This proposal was floated in the GDA Transport Strategy as well as the All Island Strategic Rail Review. Looks to be the NTA / DoTs preferred approach to provide the highest capacity into the City Centre along the corridor given the physical constraints and cost to overcome them. The option to double track between Bray and Greystones has been ruled out in both for the foreseeable. They're more concerned about stopping the line falling into the sea then double tracking it right now.

This leaves either a Dart with space for 1,100 people or a DMU service with space for about 400 people taking up the third path between Bray and Greystones. Three darts can run every hour, DMU services can't replicate this frequency without major upgrade works along the Rosslare to Greystones route.

So if the objective is to maximise capacity into the city centre, in the most cost effective way, then interchange is the answer that comes out.

An alternative approach is how could you increase the DMU service to 1,000 people and seemlessly integrate it with the DART+ timetable, to not lead to delays and cancellations across the Dart network, in order to match a DARTs capacity into the city centre.

The line is single track with short platforms. So you need to look at a full line improvement scheme from Wexford to Dublin city centre; passing loops, platform lengthening at every station including the likes of Rathdrum which is a disaster, speed improvements, resignalling, new rolling stock. From a position of less than a thousand a day on the route this appears hard to justify in our appraisal framework, presumably why the AI SRR sought the waterford proposal to offset it.

May as well hire a consultant to assess a Rosslare to Greystones upgrade and at least get a full picture of the issue.

We can also reassess our objectives, is maximising capacity into our city centre the top priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭IsaacWunder

This seems like a very sensible proposal.

I think when Bray becomes a hub in its own right (for example with the Luas extension, and maybe Metrolink conversion in the distant future) then it being a terminus would become that bit more compelling I think. My fear is that IÉ want to let the line south of Greystones die in the absence of that, since I can't see more commuters coming from there.

Terminating a DMU service at Bray does seem rather odd as it basically nearly negates the purpose of freeing up capacity in Bray head.

Given there is talk of extending BEMU's to Wicklow, I don't think that is the case. There is some decent development opportunity for the area between Greystones to Wicklow to grow.

• Advertisement

One things for certain, there isn't enough funding to deliver all the transport infrastructure needed. A full line improvement south of Greystones isn't a priority in the short or medium term whether one likes it or not.

Extending a BEMU to wicklow with a DMU service would give 2 per hour in the peak which isn't the worst.

Which when you stop and think about it would match the Belfast line, which is sort of crazy!

Also has the advantage of plenty of space next to Wicklow station to build a central platform, so folks could step off one train and onto the other without needing to cross the bridge. I'm not sure you'd have the space at Greystones to do that.

Yes, this is definitely the unfortunate thing. We are trying to make improvements in a short period that really should have been made over the past 40 years.

When DART was extended to Howth and Greystones, it shouldn't have stopped, we should have continued to rollout more electrification gradually over the past 30 years, like DART+ now aims to do.

I doubt there's enough space for a central platform with the Wicklow Port Access bridge proposal in play. Its a pathfinder project so likely to be well developed and they won't have considered the BEMU plans. Looks like passengers would need to use the stairs and lifts to go between.

One thing i can't figure out is why the turnback would take place at Wicklow instead of Greystones? Much better connectivity at Greystones for passengers.

But that wasn’t the point.

The point was people going off on Irish Rail and the NTA when that was in this aspirational document.

You weren’t aware of that, so let’s stop the nonsense.

You still refuse to answer the journey times- because you can’t.

Relax. You're railing against a wall at the moment. It's clear that IÉ are making the best of the funding available to them. However it's also true that this isn't really being done to enhance passenger capacity for south of Gorey/Wicklow. The purpose to protect the integrity of the commuter core north of Greystones. This has been reiterated over and over again here. This is fine, so long as we're being honest that that is it's purpose.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that project.

I've looked for plans for the scheme, but looks like it isn't that advanced yet. However the description doesn't really sound like it would interfere, sounds like it is to the South of Wicklow station, while I'm talking about the fields north of the station. But you may well be correct.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see what the detailed plans looked like. We are all just speculating based on media reports.

This is an image of the footbridge with lifts on either side. Its meant to be going for planning permission according to the Wicklow website.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks, that looks like it would certainly stop it.

Advertisement