Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Interesting article, especially that 80-90% of Russian losses are caused by drones.

It's a two-way street and indeed both sides can hurt each other with drones.

But I do think that the increases in geographical range and accuracy will help the Ukrainian side more. Russia can already strike all of Ukraine, but it is a new capability for Ukraine.

Also, Putin was keen that most Russians would be unaffected by the "special military operation" so not give it much thought. When the war comes to their cities or provinces, and affected their local economies or power supplies, more questions will be raised.

Ukraine has to fight, or they no longer exist.

Russia (outside of Putin's head) does not need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Alot of those pointing out the immense challenges facing Ukraine are saying the exact same thing as the Ukrainian leadership.

A lot of the Slava Ukraine crew are offering unlimited solidarity, contempt for Putin and Russia but one shell in to a Russian barracks canteen at Supper time is more effective than a lifetime of unconditional love and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

”Afford to lose soldiers” for what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah they seem to be hitting Kharkiv with the FAB glide bombs over last few days. Launching them from Russian territory as I think they have 60km reach on them. They don't seem to be getting taken out by Ukrainian AA which means Kharkiv doesn't have as much AA around it or on the approach towards Kharkiv. But yeah it's a major population centre so a lot would leave but I think as so close to Russian border I do wonder would a decent amount stay as they are pro Russian? But Ukraine are vert short on man power hence why the mobilised age limit has been dropped by 2 years but I say a lot of people that age might of left Ukraine or might try to if they don't want to get mobilised either. Ukraine needs a breather just to sort out their defences and to rotate troops but that's just not happening, they are setting up 3 major defence areas further back in Ukraine so that's something but that's also are they afraid that the Russians eventually might get that far into Ukraine as well. Ukraine is running short on everything at the moment, soldiers, ammo, artillery and time. The dithering in Washington over the 60 billion is a complete joke and a stain on the republicans, a lot of Ukraines have died over this not been transferred to them and a lot more will die over this delay. The FAB 500,1500 and I see Russia are making FAB 3000 and I think FAB 6000 are making static targets like trenches and bunkers and buildings into huge holes in the ground, these are giving Russia major advantage at the moment and there exploiting Ukraine there and the lack of AA weapons and ammo that could help defend against these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

If in late 2022 when the Russians seemed to be collapsing you said that 18 months later the frontlines would hardly have changed at all no one would have believed it either. At many periods in the war predictions have been defied, gains have been halted.

Ukraine has done an amazing job against the barbarians but anyone who thinks the picture looks rosy right now (for either side) is fooling only themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've commented on this manpower problem occasionally in the past and have been given warnings for 'annoying others' on this thread, so I don't know what Ukraine can do bar seal their borders and stop people leaving. It's a real problem for them so long as other European armies including our own are not prepared to go and give them a dig out. It seems that we expect them to just carry on bleeding and do little to support in practical ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

While there are problems it is far from Ukraines darkness hour. Democracy will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Strange comment, don't be silly. Contempt is also important task. I mean, In consider myself as part of Slava Ukraini crew and offer never-ending support but I don't have shells to offer, its ilegal for me to buy/sell shells, I do donate some money however which hopefully contributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Just a quick comment - Russia has bombed Kharkiv for two years, I doubt the Russia is very popular among the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭jmreire

And for those Russians who have lost their enthusiasm, or are having second thoughts, the special encouragement line……..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reading more about this proposed NATO 100 billion fund and … well. The more things change ...

Guess Putin's gonna be on the phone telling his Hungarian poodle to bark in the manner he's paid to.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

That looks like the work of the great David Low. It seems his depictions of appeasment before the Second World War led to some in the British press labelling him a ''war monger'. Plus ça change…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Comments say a s400. The less of these, the more havoc the UAF can cause the invaders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭thomil

Speaking of the UAF, has anyone heard anything about how many combat aircraft they have available at this point? I’d presume that the Su-24 and Su-25 fleets are pretty depleted at this point, but it’d be interesting to know how many MiG-29s and Su-27s are still operational.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Just to put it out there that Sumy's in Ukraine and the source Telegram channel's description reads "Ukraine is a brain disease". So I'll leave it up to the reader to decide what to think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

UAF for obvious reasons keep their equipment losses very quiet. No idea what they could be, and you cannot trust Russian figures either. I'd be assuming at this stage most of Ukraines neighbours have exhausted their supply of older soviet aircraft.

All Eyes On Rafah

Yes, I thought it was a strike on Russia and forgot Sumy is in free Ukraine. Only noticed my mistake after posting.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Its unfortunately true. Your typical Russian leads such a sad miserable life that being in a damp trench with night guard duty is an improvement.

Whereas your typical Ukrainian wants to go back their lives and families and live a good Western European lifestyle with democracy and freedom and peace.

What this means is that Russians will volunteer in droves. And also they dont really mind if they get shot as long as its quick and theyre not left wounded and in pain. The Ukrainians dont want to go to the tremches for understanable reasons.

However, the Ukrainians have things to fight for beyond indoor plumbing and autocratic despotism so hopefully that keeps them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Air drones.

Now land drones that drive into place. Unload the mine and drive off. With either the mine on a timer or a string.

Ukrainian 63rd Mechanised Brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Drone wars, who has the best drones? Or should that be who has the most drones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

who has the most or best drones

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/30272

Thirteen people killed by the light aircraft drone attack on the drone manufacturing facility in Tartarstan. Nine different nationalities. Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, and South Sudan. 

A common theme are these are the poorest countries in the world. Teenagers and young adults from the poorest countries in the world are working building drones in Russia.

Are there recruitment ads in these countries of come to Russia. Learn a craft. Build drones?

More about the African and Sri Lankan young people building drones in Alabuga.

You can't help but feel this is reverse trolling by the Kremlin. It seems all the black people were in the one building hit but all from different countries. It's turned a spotlight into them being there now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yes Russia will be able to recruit more soldiers but look at the cost for every metre gained. If Ukraine stays in defensive posture they will win the war of attrition. Every year that goes by the Russian soldiers have worse off equipment for their attacks. Hopefully after the F16's arrive Russia will find it harder to drop those FAB 500+ bombs which are a real thorn in their side.

Personally I think both sides will find the soldiers for 10 year's of war but I think economically Russia will collapse long before then. The US are afraid to give big support incase war with Taiwan breaks out. But it's irritating they haven't built new factories for the production of artillery. They've increased capacity at current factories and that'll continue to expand but it's nowhere near what they should be producing.

It seems this was a Russian initiative called The Alabuga Start Program.

It was a call for foreign young women.

Massive amount of recruitment media when you start looking.

How any would think it's a good idea for a young foreign woman to go to Russia is beyond me. But poverty can drive one to do beyond normal. Especially with the slick advertising.

Most try their best to get away from the Russian mafia world wide and these young women are trawled to go to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

they were there to build drones, proving your general vatnik is useless for anything really, apart from being used as cannon fodder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A reminder that huge swathes of Ukraine are gonna need rebuilding from the ground up; said it before you but yo'd wonder if some of these villages and hamlets will be written off and left to stay demolished. If the population are all dead or have left for Ukrainian urban centres (or trigger warning for the anti-migrants, left the country entirely), why bother rebuilding?

Either way though, there's gonna be a flood of money heading into the country and there'll be a boom for construction and infrastructural companies hired to rebuild … well, everything in these parts of Ukraine. Zelensky's job won't be done when - hopefully - Russia fúcks off and lets the Ukrainians be; he'll be crossing Europe negotiating German, French, UK firms to come in and build build build.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement