Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein alternative

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SF are significantly more free market on immigration and refugees than anyone currently in govt.

Many of their prominent people are absolutist on it.

I've seen a household name in SF describe the idea of passport control as racism.

The party has a lot of people who vehemently disagree with the working class on many issues and are now diametrically opposed.

They SHOULD be pro-immigration but they've been a disaster and have been anti-immigration if anything, hence why they've lost my vote.

Soc Dems are doing what Sinn Féin should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭csirl

We had a large group of independents in the last Government - including in Ministerial positions - and it was stable and could make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

the majority of independents normally vote forthe party they left ! Is that not the case ? So be mindful what you wish for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They still seem very much on the fence. Idealogically, they are pro immigration. Yet they know their support base is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I think the anti immigration protests will die down over the next few months so maybe it won't be such a big issue come election time. I definitely got whipped up in the frenzy which looking back was pretty stupid of me and probably plenty others. We need a clearer policy on the numbers we can actually afford to take in without it affecting the people already living here which would calm a lot of people down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes that sort of geographical/party/gender horse-trading absolutely does happen. On the flip side though hardly any of the politicians are qualified for any of the ministerial roles. Even those that have worked in the related areas prior to politics (such as doctors as Health Ministers or Teachers as Education Minister) or been opposition spokespersons. That's because being a minister is an entirely different job. It requires a different skill-set. It's part administrator, part human resources, part manager and a few other things to boot.

Some people are going to be naturally good at these things and some aren't. Probably the best way to get good at them is prior experience in the job - ideally first as a junior minister. I think throwing someone directly in as a minister, the way Foley was, is not ideal. Likewise there's no guarantee that Jim O'Callaghan would have been any good as Minister for Justice since he was also entirely inexperienced as a minister. He could have chosen to take that offer of a junior ministry and gained valuable experience which would have helped him in the future but he let his pride get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Over-experience in a field also often brings poor to bad results as a Minister

Some pretty poor Ministers for Health have been doctors; and Foley is not a stunning Minister for Education right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Agreed. Ministers often need to be adjudicators when it comes to disputes between different factions under their remit. If they themselves come from one of those factions that can lead to implicit or explicit bias in their decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

There is no one to vote for

Post edited by Repo101 on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

In general a good analysis but a bit simplistic in places.

The labour party attracted more than higher public servants. It could not have got 43 seats in 2011 based on that demographic or even close to it. Without the labour party in government FG would mainly have targeted public expenditure rather than a mix of cuts and tax rises.

Such cuts would have affected the poor more.

What was a credible program to the Trokia 2011 - 4.

Who was going to lend us money bar the EU /IMF??

Don't get me wrong the labour party pretended it had an alternative to austerity. It didn't.

The Trokia squeezed too tight but your an idiot (I'm talking in general) if you believe we had alternatives.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

SF have fucked up badly on the referendums and immigration.

It thinks people will forget about immigration and go back to housing as their main concern but the two are linked and people are not always rational.

Thus SF will continue to slide. The far right will rise but why are people called far right for just asking reasonable questions about immigration is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What's worse for Sinn Fein is that the likes of FG and FF can tweak things in government to make immigration harder - like the EU pact - and Sinn Fein are caught having to oppose it on the one hand while dog-whistling on the other, leaving them looking like fools.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is partly where the Labour/LibDem comparison falls down. Austerity was far more of a choice for the UK, Ireland really had no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF, with an SF Finance Minister, are having to agree an extremely vicious budget in NI today, will be interesting to see how they defend that.

"we had no other choice due to constrained external funding" isn't something they accepted in from 2011 on but is pretty much guaranteed to be the excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It will be the DUP fault

Or FF, or FG, the Greens…..😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is no doubt they (whether it be a DUP, Alliance, SDLP, UUP etc Finance Minister) that they are 'constrained', that would be partition and the fact they are always going to be reliant on handouts. If only there was an option to be more in control of your fate and prosperity.
    Seems to be an understanding of those constraints though among those dependent on the budget allocations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Problem for Labour was that in the election campaign Gilmore went mad making promises not even a majority Labour government could hope to keep - let alone a junior coalition partner.

He didn't really care though as he and the rest of his generation at the top of the party got their years in the sun and then toddled off and didn't have to worry about the wreckage of a party they left behind.

A better leader would have won fewer seats in 2011 but a lot more in the elections since then. A little bit of realism and honesty is all that was required…

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

You paid for water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Anything for a quiet life, got it all refunded when they cancelled the idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

You'll never get a party that satisfies all your particular political viewpoints unless you're a loony lefty or a fascist, in which case the likes of PBP or the National Party will suit you fine. For the rest of us it's a case of picking the best of a bad lot.

My personal view is that it should always be about the economy and which party is best placed to manage it. I'm nearly 60 and in my lifetime, Fianna Fail have destroyed the country's economy TWICE - first in the late 70's under Jack Lynch and then in the late 2000's under Bertie Ahern and Charlie McCreevy. On both occasions they had a series of giveaway budgets that threw money at everyone. leaving us with a massive welfare bill that ensured that when a global recession came we were totally vulnerable. Cue massive spending cuts to health, education and other public services in an attempt to claw back the money they threw at everyone. The current housing crisis started under FF too and McCreevy's tax breaks to developers and speculators.

On both of those occasions when FF destroyed the country, it was Fine Gael, leading a coalition with others, who restored the economy to a sound basis and kept it that way. To me they've always been a party that can be trusted to manage the economy soundly. I don't accept the premise mentioned by an earlier poster that they've promoted inequality as a side effect. We have one of the most generous welfare systems in the world here (hence the flood of migrants hoping to jump on the gravy train and join our indigenous welfare lifestyle brigade) and I personally think all the constant whining about poverty is exaggerated. I do believe that they haven't done enough to resolve the housing crisis but again, FF started that and I'm not sure any party could reverse it at this stage. Sinn Fein would be far worse than FF and would throw even more money at welfare to satisfy their core supporters, many of whom I suspect are more than happy to enjoy the welfare lifestyle.

In short: without jobs and a sound economy you can't have a prosperous society or good public services. You should vote for whoever you think will do the best job there.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I did, in the end from recollection I got a refund

Water is one thing everyone needs to live, a proper water system was and still is worth investing in

When we reintroduce water charges it'll be a sign that our politics has moved away from petty populism and nonsense.

Advertisement