Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think it is , but as I said there are not enough mods to see it all or see it as it is happening .

It would need a mod reading along with every busy thread or even the most contentious ones .

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If people can't state their own opinion/belief without attacking other posters, name calling, belittling etc then THAT is being a dick. Have the courage of your convictions to stand by the strength of your argument without needing to pile on someone else's.

The problem, as many have stated, is the sheer volume of this type of "debate". It's disruptive and childish. It's impossible to moderate and it takes far too much time - every warning generates a PM. Deleting posts annoys posters. Warning posts annoys posters. Ignoring posts and hoping adults (!) will cop on and move on annoys posters.

I believe moderators do what they can with the hands they are dealt.

But I'd love to give my zero tolerance a go and see how long it would take people to cop on! We've done it on a few different threads and forums and funnily enough it gets rid of a lot of that crap. Posters feel it's worth taking the chance because they may or may not get pulled up on it. If you KNEW you were going to get pulled on uncivil, baiting posting every time you'd be less likely to engage in that type of posting.

Nobody on here will be banned for an opinion. However, you may be warned/banned for how you express that opinion.

And we'll always have the trolls who love to troll!

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Warned by a mod for this, What a joke, I rest my case

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not a joke at all.

That was a snide comment suggesting mods were not being open and honest.

That's EXACTLY the type of post which should be moderated, and I say that as a normal user and not a moderator

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Green Peter most of your posts on this thread have been exactly the type of posts people are complaining about ruining discussions. You've had a number of posts offering nothing except digs at moderators. You've mentioned "circling wagons", you've described moderators in derogatory terms (The Mayo jersey comment is unforgivable!) and said the thread is uncomfortable for moderators and will be shut down.

You've actually contributed very little by way of workable suggestions or constructive feedback.

This thread is not uncomfortable for moderators. In fact it is giving moderators an opportunity to explain clearly certain processes to posters that they might otherwise not understand. The thread is nowhere near being shut down. But we are asking all posters to keep it civil and stick to providing constructive feedback and suggestions.

If you'd like to do that please do. If you're intent on just throwing in the odd oneliner dig then you can expect to be pulled up for it.

A big complaint here has been moderators and how they interact with posters. Posters have to play their part in that too, and - don't be a dick.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You're absolutely right, any name-calling or generalising should be actioned as it's attacking the poster, not the post. The same goes for people who deem X or Y as far left or woke or whatever buzzword is topical these days.

You can point out why a person's views (ie their posts) may be seen as racist/far right/far left/proving them to be Santa Claus with a reasoned discussion of course, but you can't outright call someone names. It's breaching two rules really, the don't be a dick rule and attacking the poster instead of the post one too.

I presume these posts that are name-calling are being reported? In fast moving forums and threads such as CA there simply isn't time for mods to read every post of every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Mods, CMods and admins have engaged openly on the thread. There hasn't been any circling of the wagons or any suggestion of nothing to see here.

That kind of rhetoric isn't helpful, and must make them wonder why they're bothering. I get that there's the very odd bad mod, but attempting to dismiss them all would be the normal posters circling the wagons and ignoring their responses, it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I gave up wasting my time reporting posts because nothing was being actioned upon.

If you look at the banned users on the first page immigration or anything related to trans topics you would see bias moderation if you are a regular reader of CA.

A bizarre post to be honest from reading this thread.

It's the first time I have seen mods engage and discussing feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You might want to read again so. Alot of questions/opinions have been asked/given by plently of Mods/CMods/Admins in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Since I stopped modding that forum I'm not a regular reader tbh so I've no idea. Just providing my own opinion on how I'd view what you mentioned in your post.

Apologies if I worded it badly on the phone on a walk, I was attempting to praise mods contributing.

So it's ok for you to call me a dick, I rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

In the last few years was fascinated with how saying "sleepy Joe Biden" would be a certain forum ban. So bizarre.

Sorry state of affairs if you can't even criticize the president of a foriegn country.

What was the unforgiveable comment about the mayo jersey?

We can't have anything bad said about that sacred green and red shroud that drapes the body of at least one pastey-legged man attending every landmark in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That was very clearly humour.

Are some people just looking to be offended now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator:

You are permanently banned from posting in this discussion again.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Given what that particular man is doing at the moment (standing on the sideline eating ice cream) whilst sending weapons to slaughter innocent Palestinians and journalists calling him sleepy Joe is very mild indeed. It does seem to be a constant theme on CA though where you can say what you want about Trump which i'd wholeheartedly agree with but don't dare be critical of Biden or you'll be banned. Bizarre stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

That's not the point. I see Trump name calling all the time and as iv'e said he deserves it and iv'e no problem with it but when a poster puts up a sleepy Joe comment which is very mild in the grand scale of things it's treated in a completely different manner. It's double standards.

• Advertisement

Please ban me permanently and put me out of my misery, this is a complete joke and it's sad to see the site go in the direction it's going, whoever owns it needs wake up and take note of this thread and seriously review their moderators. Bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

iirc it wasn't just done for that reason. The thread was supposed to be about discussing the Biden presidency, policies, actions etc and which was getting derailed by posters peddling rumours about Biden's health etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

The best advice I got was from Big Bag of Chips after I started posting was "read the charter" - it was invaluable to be honest; there were things I might have thought were ok that aren't, best advice for anyone posting I would think.

As an aside - there was a vile post made to me yesterday and I reported it; not long after there was a note added by a Moderator that a warning had been applied. Great to see that horrible things are taken on board and unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

What I have noticed in a couple of forums is that and I except that it’s very hard to be independent at times we all have our own view points on things is that a few and I say only a few moderators have created an echo chamber in those forums of their own personal views and posters that see opposite or even slightly different views are considered to be trolling. As a poster that has coming and gone from Boards over the years there is less and less middle ground anymore now the slightest of slight is considered the end of the world. The moderation standards have dropped just as much as the posting standards has. I sure the Admins, C-Mods & mods would disagree at their standards have dropped.

Regards,

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator:

For the record only, this user was given two separate sanctions on his account. That’s two attempts for him to rehabilitate his behaviour on Boards. One was a 1-point warning, the other was a 2-point infraction, and this is now another 2-point infraction for disobeying his thread ban. He is now permanently banned from Feedback, and because he has received 5 points on his account, he has received an automated temporary site ban.

-Shield

Please explain to me how Biden's health is not a major factor in any one of "Biden Presidency, policies, actions"? Seems majorly on topic to me.

The site moderation has a weirdly America-centric vibe about it, with comments getting deleted that irish people, in general, couldn't give two tosses about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've given the context for the decision, which is self-explanatory as to how it would derail the thread, especially when stuff was being dumped in drive by trolling. The use of the 'sleepy Joe' being a sure sign of that. It does not indicate someone seriously discussing the Presidency.

If you want to discuss a specific moderator action further, take it up with them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Moderator:

Some posts deleted. Please keep this on topic.

Thanks.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Without commenting on the above - a genuine question, is there a difference between a warning, and an infraction?

Is there a higher scale than a 2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

0 point warning is basically a Mod telling you to cop on a bit/wind your neck in/don't post like that again etc - i.e. not a 1 point ( old Yellow) but it could well be the next time.

1 point warning - is a Warning ( old Yellow) Lasts 1 week

2 point warning - is an infraction ( old Red) lasts 2 weeks- given if the post is very abusive in nature/repeatedly given 1 point warnings but persists etc

If you get 5 active points you are automatically sitebanned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement