Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

a) Yes, the best part of the EV ownership and negates the e)

b) It's all about the frequency of public vs. home charging.

c) After 300/400 km I'm usually quite ready to have a 20 minute (and then some more) break. Remember this only happens on long journeys when you have set sail with full battery due to a)

d) You're too late. I got a free charger back in 2015 from the "government".

e) We have two EVs. As they never need to be charged outside home regularly the public charging points get used very seldomly. But I do admit that it can be a real pain and an capacity issue at peak times when the topups take 30 minutes per customer instead of 5 minutes. The only way to address that is invest in excess capacity. Luckily chargers are not that expensive per unit once the cabling infrastructure is there to support them.

f) Didn't happen to my family yet but we have only driven EV for 9 years/250k so far. If you really need to go and forgot to charge you do need to use some localish charger before the trip. Eventually a need is bound to happen. At least the chargers are 24/7 accessible unlike most of the petrol stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There are 2018 cars (6 years old) in that link for less than 10k, fairly sure you don't get that kind of value with ICE cars anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭crl84

Nope, it was M4-M50-M1.

M4 and M50 at morning and evening peak times, so pretty slow for those parts. Traffic was crawling coming into Belfast. Not sure if it's always like that, was quicker on the way out.

It was around Autumn last year, so weather a little bit better than at the moment.

TBF, that was an extreme example as I just happened to have taken a photo at the time. I regularly achieve over 400km per full charge though, which includes M4/M50 twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,117 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our last 2 diesels could do 1000 and 1200km. But it would take at least 5 mins, sometimes as long as 10, to fill the tank from empty and pay, not 2 to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

How long to hypothetically charge an EV to 1000km? Possibly with an ionity charger under an hour, but theres only 5 locations in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Assuming you have a big enough battery, and at a consumption rate of 15kWh/100km that would be a 150kWh battery (not in existence yet afaik) it would take three hours on a 50kW charger and one hour on a 150kW one (of which there are a good few around the country).

On a home 7.2kW charger it would take three days if you just charge at night rate. 🤣

This is all assuming you're charging from 0% to 100%, which is never done. In practice in this country, you'd be hard pressed to run up 1000km without stopping anywhere or going home for the night.

I got 255 kW very briefly once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

EGolf, EUp are 32kw ish and 40kw isk charging for about €20k and 150+ range. Close enough no. EMini and i3 similar.

Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

2 mins to fill a diesel tank 🤣

I put over 300,000 km on a diesel and never once drove to a garage, filled up, paid and returned to my route in 3 mins. Ever 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Latest instalment…

Ironically it complains about misinformation…

The AA survey found 53 per cent of respondents believed EV batteries last -less than 100,000 kilometres. That equates to six years’ motoring for the average Irish driver. Understandably, buyers are concerned that the new EV they might buy for €40,000 or more – the biggest cost of new EVs being the battery packs – will only have a working life of six years before they face a massive battery replacement bill.

However, more modern battery packs are made up of modules and in many cases you would replace the module and not the entire packs.

Why doesn't he address the fact that this belief is BS in the first place?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rsymons did a video recently on YouTube.

Model 3 performance. I think it was a 2020. Lots of fast DC charging in it's lifetime. Had 100 thousand miles on it.

Tested the battery for losses. It has lost 8% from new. 8%.

I think the Nissan Leaf has had an overall net negative impact on mass EV adoption.

Many peoples’ concerns stem from Leaf owners’ experiences with poor BMS/short range/low top speed/lack of (Chademo) chargers that are not (as) relevant to most other modern models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

I saw someone on reddit with 300,000 miles on a model 3 - can't remember the exact number but over 80% of battery left.

Interesting the hard shoulder now sponsored by electric car company, MG

I wonder how they feel about that famous interview with the ashford motors headcase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He might be worth listening to now, hear his struggle to get the words out haha!

That's like comparing a model T to a Honda Civic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You wouldn't think much of a motoring correspondent if they told you not to buy a new ICE car because a certain model from 12 years ago had a problem.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭Patser

Interesting article using Ireland as a prime example of how misinformation and a subsequent misunderstanding/underestimation of EVs is leading to a drop in sales, counterpointed by how Norway being so far ahead of curve is expecting EVs to overtake ICE this year

https://fortune.com/europe/2024/04/03/as-norway-nears-major-victory-over-gas-powered-cars-ireland-joins-ev-winter-with-drivers-falling-prey-to-misinformation/

Edit: Just realised this is a lot of rehash of @Hotblack Desiato post from the 4th

Post edited by Patser on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

When did you last see a Model T on the road or on DD

• Advertisement

You know when I said "like" it didn't occur to me someone would not understand "like" and instead take it literally.

1st generation Leaf is world first series production car. It's a paradigm shift. Lessons were learnt and EVs that followed have gone a different way on many of the features and battery tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Weckler with another moan in the Indo today, that his ev lost €17,000 value in 14 months.

I don't really think that would be a first in the motoring world, and wouldn't be limited to EVs. ICE cars could also lose similarly.

The car I bought recently was a year old and was 20k off. So he's not exactly unusual. Unless he bought it for 35k. 🤣

A lot of people don't recognise this paradigm shift. I'm constantly answering questions on my Leafs battery problems. I always emphasize that the Leaf is pretty unique but, whether you want to believe it or not, many don't want to /choose not to differentiate. So yes IMO the Leaf has impacted negatively on people's perception of EVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OR you could say if it wasn't for the success of the Nissan Leaf, many wouldn't have got into driving evs or recommend them to friends and family.

You could indeed but again IMO many people have delayed moving to EVs because of their concerns around the Leafs excessively degrading batteries and poor range. Some people are glass half full some are the opposite

Is the degradation excessive? Honestly thought it was about average considering the age of the vehicles.

Mine's (2016) at 62% and as low as 60km range in poor weather. While it may be worse than average its not unique. Its the one serious weakness in what is otherwise a great short haul car

Ok, yeah that's excessive. I presume out of warranty so you've just got to live with it.

• Advertisement

Yes out of warranty but I had reported battery problems before the 160k km warranty limit. However, Nissan's position is that car hadn't dropped 4th bar before 160k km limit was breached so technically not covered by warranty.

Advertisement