Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All Champions League games will be 8pm kick-offs now until the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Be nice to have the option of watching both games, especially with the 2 English teams.

Commercially or sporting wise, having them on at the same time makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Was a really difficult draw for UEFA, arguably worst possible.

Just impossible to meet all their prior agreements. Firstly, clearly both Madrid home ties had to be different nights. After that the only way to keep the English ties on separate nights was to either have the two German ties on the same night (a problem for the German TV contract) or to have the Barcelona and Real Madrid games on the same night (a problem for the Spanish TV and South American TV contracts).

Staggered kick-offs times could have got around it but presumably a 5.45pm kick-off in London is a no-no, and Spanish TV would have been aghast at a 6.45pm local ko time in Spain. Ultimately someone had to suffer, and the English broadcaster was the victim.

Having said that UEFA did the EPL a huge favour by giving Arsenal the Tues/Wed rotation so maybe it was quid quo pro. If Arsenal had been given the Wed/Tues rotation there would have been a huge clusterfcuk around their league game in the middle weekend against Villa, with Villa playing Thursday in the Conference League. Might have even had to cancel that league game.

And I'd say the actual viewing figures in the British BT (paying viewers anyway) is probably relatively low anyway. What % of viewers pay for legit BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm very surprised they didn't have them over four nights with one half of the draw playing one week and the other side the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

No issue with RTE choosing to air the Ireland V England Women's game on RTE 2 tonight and relegating the Champions's League to the News channel, but why oh why isn't the RTE News in HD on Sky? Picture quality is gonna look so shite. I'll probably just watch it on the RTE Player instead, hopefully without any buffereing issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

not sure which game to watch tonight. I suppose city and madrid. two mouth watering clashes though, they should have staggered them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I get it through NOW and every time I get half price or more discount

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's easy to say what not do this that but unfortunately its the luck of the draw and the times and dates were set. Also the window to play the games are probably very tight with end of season and domestic cup competitions and maybe some postponed games

Are they giving live goal updates, I'd say I know the answer without even asking.

No reason not to have live goal updates from the Arsenal game, except being stuck in the early 1970s in regard to match presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

city 1 up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

De Bruyne not feeling well….

But City will take a fine lead - snuck it in and fooled the keeper.

Brilliant free, caught goalie with his pants down.

Grealish almost in his knees when the tackle for the free came in, couldn't even wait for the tackle to come in, but ref bought it and gave the free and the yellow.

Brilliant free though.

this ref is letting far too much go here

arsenal 1-0. do they check the saka offside or was that too many phases ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Phew, good, was afraid City might just end this tie after taking the lead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Deflected big time for Real to equalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Spain having 3 teams got priority but with both Madrid teams playing at home in the 1st leg they had to be on different nights. Then Spain have Real and Barca paired for TV so they have to be on separate nights. So that means both English teams are playing tonight because TNT paired the 2 Manchester teams and Arsenal/Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Alphonso Davies having an awful time of it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I hate Real but man I love Carlito's Real in Europe.

Sheer bonkers to watch.

Big turn around 2-1 somehow it went through the legs of Akanji.

gnarby scores for bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Now THIS is a night of Champions League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Bayern level 5 goals inside 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Madrid v City on RTE news just in case anyone needs to know....

kane from the spot. 2-1 bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Kane scores a penalty to make it 2-1

what a miss by rodrigo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm watching Madrid - in the other game have Bayern been playing better after their poor performances this season, or are Arsenal just having a bit of an off-night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So hard to root for Real.

The cheatiest cheats.

real being too wasteful in front of goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Rodrigo down like he was shot with a touch to the face typifies Madrid for me. But, the football they play right from goalie to up front is fabulous to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Disgraceful RTE relegating the Champions League to RTE News so that they can continue to bang their woke drum. They keep saying they expect 30,000 at the Irish women's game but never mention how much the tickets are compared to the men's game or the demographics of the attendees. I couldn't tell you the score, as I don't watch women's football(though I did see one funny highlight on social media a couple years back where they conceded a Sunday morning park team level own goal), but I expect Ireland to lose.

Depending on your TV package, people might not have RTE News. RTE 2 is 1080p, whereas RTE News is 576i, it's a noticeable difference in picture quality. Even with the relegation to the channel I still expect the Champions League to get higher TV audience figures. And I don't know if it's just me, but there's a sound to picture delay.

I missed the start, but as the half-time whistle blew, they said they'll be back in 13 minutes times. So no analysis, unless you go to the RTE player. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

@sligeach use the Livescore app. All of the CL games are on it. You can pick which one you want and cast it to your TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How does Grealish do it?

Nobody else gets frees for what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But but but some old grandpa who loves Real Madrid only has RTE 1 and 2 because he can't get WiFi in the cave he has been living in since the Blue Shirts came home from Spain.

jude should be scoring there, or at least hit the target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's a red card for Kane. He takes a look, swings his arm and connects with elbow to the throat.

And the irony of Vini Jnr giving out to him for going down too easily - he will be doing the very same in the return leg.

missed it but no way the darling kane would ever do something like that

He lost me at 'woke' tbh....you gotta show the women's game, how could you justify not showing it.

Real move the ball so quick, they're so dangerous. Foden really anonymous tonighr, as had Haaland. Bernardo the only attacking player who has turned up so far, as he always does in fairness. This referee must have never seen Grealish play before, he's buying every one of his dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is there VAR in the Arsenal v Bayern game? Kane should be red carded there. Don’t know how he gets away with it even in Europe. A thoroughly dislikeable player.

and what a miss from vini. real will defo regret all these misses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Real will rue these misses. Should easily be 3 1

• Advertisement

That's an awful miss by Real. They could easily be at least 4-1 up.

Advertisement