Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Something tells me she's a lot brighter than you.

😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Elon now taking jabs at Native Americans... And overestimating how funny he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What a tool. Dinosaurs went extinct before mammals took over. The only dinosaurs that survived abandoned land and took to the sky and became modern birds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As per usual, Musk has all the humour and smarts of an always-online 12 year old 4chan user.

It's not even insulting or shocking such that Native Americans should or could be outraged; it's just … lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He’s spewing simple narratives to the simps that follow him. Ignore the systematic genocide of the Native Americans (or is First Nation People the correct term now?), the racist policies and Laws that California had in place well into the mid 20th century to prevent non-white immigrants from buying land and starting their own enterprises.

Thankfully Twitter doesn’t have the reach it had 2 years ago and his ramblings and disinformation aren’t used as the basis on articles in the mainstream media anymore.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

I do think he's illustrated perfectly why people who own social media companies shouldn't actively use their platform. Any other owners tend to in the background and you know vague stuff about them at best. If Elon hadn't gotten so vocal, he could have made himself into an enigma. Instead we get every thought that pops into his head and many of them sound like a thirteen year old discovering Internet arguments.

If the Tesla sales keep dropping, I can see him being ousted as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I know the intent it's just the execution is just so pathetic: it's the humour of the infant, who thinks their first bit of edge-lord adjacent humour is Wit Incarnate. Like how my 3yo thinks saying "poop!" or farting is funny. To be fair though, farting is funny.

I can't see how anyone gets truly annoyed at this 'cos it's just so limp I just feel a bit embarrassed for Musk. This is why there are no right-wing comedians; all they can be is either infantile - or bullies. OR both.

As to what term to use? "First Nations" seems to be the preferred term but I still think it depends and like how reservations themselves are set-up, it's complicated. "Indian" is still a valid term used by many of those peoples themselves (the official government department is still called the department of "Indian Affairs")

Somebody must be blowing a massive amount of smoke up Elon's arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not to derail the thread completely but I think you can learn a lot about American politicians by watching how they perform at hearings. Most of them take the opportunity to grandstand. They'll often ask questions that have already been asked many times just so that they can ham it up and clip the exchange for their social media feeds. They'll typically end up accusing the witness, or their organisation, of dastardly deed so that they get to look "strong" or something.

I've seen AOC several times and she doesn't do that at all. She's quite understated, often wearing glasses and reading from piles of notes. She uses her time carefully, often asking the witness many questions and does so in such a way that they don't get a chance to ramble in response. It seems that she tries to extract as much meaningful information from the witness given the time constraints and as such is using her slot quite effectively. She behaves more like a lawyer than a politician, which is rare at those hearings.

I think anyone who believes that she's not intelligent is letting something else cloud their judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh like this you mean?

Cool calm and collected.

O dear, my O my etc.

🤭 Kinda reminds me of the Brianna Wu segue here all over again. A mild clap-back gets a sealion response.

Don't Sshoot the messenger!

And how does this relate to AOC? Since this is the Musk thread, you must have been outraged when he labeled the diver in Thailand a pedophile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From blueticks being used to signify verification, to "Anyone can have a bluetick if they pay for it", to "You can pay for a bluetick, but we'll give you the ability to hide it because people might make fun of you for it", and now we've reached "We're going to give loads of accounts blueticks for free"

I mean, you have to have over 2,500 subscriber followers, not just followers, but they've still set that bar incredibly low just to force well-known accounts into having a bluetick. Probably because the illusion of "Celebs only want blueticks to feel more important than everyone else" has continuously been shattered by the low uptake of blueticks once you had to pay for it, causing them to force the blueticks on accounts with about 1m+ followers, and now dropping the bar lower to also including those with 2,500+ subscribed followers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wu of Gamergate, Porsche collection and lunar rocks fame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,318 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont forget you can hide your bluetick now, its incredibly obvious to see who is though as they stand out huddled in at the top of comments among other visible blueticks, also if they comment at you they show up in your notifications under the verified section

Aye. Was a good few pages back now, but someone shared a tweet from Wu sharing a video of Musk saying something stupid. I don't even remember what he was flapping about. Cue the then floating Muskoholics shouting about Wu being this and that terrible person rather than, ya know, the actual topic of Musk and what he said / did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

As individuals, they seem to provoke a strong response. Thanks for the information.

Absolutely. In fact one of the best things Musk ever did was shattering the illusion of the blueticks being like a badge of pride or elitist (which it never really was, it was just for verification). Once people could buy them, it was hilarious watching the people who bought them realise they were being mocked, derided and ignored, because now they had a bluetick and they still weren't worth paying attention to. If anything, the bluetick highlighted why you shouldn't pay attention to them, to the point Musk had to bring in the option for people to hide them (but like you say, it's still easy to identify them because of the positioning of their tweets).

It became such a badge of shame that Musk still has to lower the bar to justify giving it for free to more people just to increase the number of blueticks and try to make them something worth having again (though again, they never were worth having, they were just for verification of high-profile accounts, which was to the benefit of all users and Twitter itself)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And like every other thing that Musk has done since he took over , his actions have destroyed the actual value proposition of the feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But if you're already paying for a blue tick and qualify to get it free now, you are still allowed demand you continue paying for it?

And then hide it, and deny all knowledge of......

That's the Blue Ticko's want, isn't it.?.🤔

I did see another tweet a few days ago that, as this policy applies to people who have more than 2,500 subscribed followers (so not just followers or even bluetick followers, but actual subscribed followers), the best estimate of the number of people who would get Premium for free: 8. And 4 of those (including Musk) would get Premium+ for free for having more than 5,000.

This seems more like a "If you subscribe and get loads of subscriber followers, wonderous things can happen!" ploy to entice people rather than being of any benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

there's a thread on reddit where they ask what turned people off Musk.

A very large amount say it's when he started calling the diver a pedophile

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1bute49/people_who_liked_elon_musk_but_no_longer_do_what/

One of my favorite replies is that Elon has a "please clap" energy when it comes to his bad jokes. :)

This is what comes to mind so often:

A grown man… had to say to another grown man (his boss)…. "Your meme game is strong"

An adult grown man used those words, and then had to go home, talk to his partner or family about his day at work, and admit that he had to say that to another grown man.

I would contend your point about "grown man"; there's a consistent pattern I'm noticing with these online idiots, be they antagonistic or otherwise, where it seems like emotional maturity / development hit a hard stop around 21.

I don't mind admitting that I was not dissimilar to these chuds back in my college days in the 2000s: snickering at "gay" as a pejorative, punching down as a reflexive form of humour and generally thinking being an ásshat was funny. Then I met people outside my echo chamber, expanded my personal horizons, grew the F up a little. So now I'm just a conscientious ásshat but not acting like I'm still in my 20s.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I wonder is it linked to early success?

Like, they get to a level of wealth and success very early and so receive a level of respect that their actual maturity and knowledge does not warrant so they never learn that their behaviour is just not acceptable because their "success" means they don't get called out on it?

When I was a 20/21 year old bell-end there were plenty of 25+ year olds around more than happy to tell me I was being a bell-end and as such I have (hopefully) become less of a twat as time has passed.

I'd definitely see Musk like that, I'm more pondering about the other guys in the video and how surely at least one of them is sitting there thinking "The sh*t I have to say just to keep in Musk's good graces….."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

That was poorly worded (suprise) as tons of people complaint today about it. It means 2500 blue tick followers.
    On the plus side, you can hide your newly gained free blue tick, for free! The shame of it!

Yeah that's why I wasn't too sure about the thing with it being subscribed followers due to how few people that would apply to.

• Advertisement

As Quin opines though perhaps it's linked to success: for sure with someone like Musk whose gigantic wealth shielded him from life's organic rebuffs … but IT was ('til recently) a career path where you could achieve great success and seniority - financial or otherwise - quite quickly compared with other industries, ones that required a more careful climb up the ladder.

So faster than others these man-children were sitting higher up the food chain without having had the time to grow emotionally - so their development was completely arrested at some college level fuckwít stage. And with that would then come all this latter-day whaaaa, the wimmin and gay people don't like it when I shít on them.

Would have been the point for me although I'd been seeing general hints before that. The Thai diver just showed him to be properly dangerous. Even the hijacking of that event to self promote was properly off putting without the paedophilia accusations.

I know at the time he started Space X I thought he was cool. By the time of the Thai diver I was either certain he was an asshole or that confirmed it but I can't remember for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This is a good podcast series on Content Moderation in Social Media. The last few episodes focus on more on Twitter but the whole the series is worth a listen.
    A bit like the current discussion of Musk’s immaturity, they ask the same question of Zuckerberg. Why does he deny the harm his platforms are doing? Because he’s been at it seem he was 19. He doesn’t know anything else and is blinkered because of it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001w207

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

In hind sight that should have been a massive red flag, as we've seen with QAnon etc. it's a special type of person that casually accuses others of being a pedophile.

Another telling aspect was how many were happy to accept it as true at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Yep usually a few cans short of the six pack, or are just projecting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That article claims several times that musk hates her giving to charity - but I don't see a single quote which proves that? It's clear he does not like her but there's nothing stating it's because she donates to charity. The headline on the article is fiction.

• Advertisement

The inference being drawn, as far as I can interpret, is that Scott's donations to DEI promoting charities is the cause of Musk's hyperbole over the "threat to western civilization" in the first place. It's the latest cause-de-jour of the more distinctly right leaning mouthpieces, talking loudly with faux concern about airplanes dropping out of the sky 'cos black people might be piloting them (IIRC this was an actual scenario Musk himself rowed in behind). Not racist you understand, no no, just that guy with the really good tan mightn't know how to fly a plan 'cos of "diversity".

In reality, DEI does sound like the usual round of empty corporate fluff that lets them affect equality - and dodge potential lawsuits - without actually putting the leg work into things. But wow wee it's mad how triggered this manchild is by it that he's now picking on this random woman. Can take the man out of Apartheid SA but can't take the Apartheid SA out of the man eh?

In other Musk news, he recently had to sit for a deposition because someone is suing him for damages because Musk falsly suggested a 22 year old Jewish guy was part of a Neo-Nazi brawl that was captured on film.

Not only did he have no real recollection of it and believes he should be able to do it anyway because FREE SPEECH, but he also had to admit he used a fake Twitter account for his own son and would roleplay as his son.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elon-musk-burner-account-role-play-toddler-son_n_66140de1e4b0c063ffb9e8a0

Although the account is not mentioned by name in the deposition transcript, Monday’s court filing contained an exhibit of the @ErmnMusk account that was shown to Musk during his testimony.

Asked about the account during the deposition by attorney Mark Bankston, who is representing Brody, Musk confirmed it was his but dismissed it as a “test account.”

“No, I would not use this account,” Musk testified. “It was just used for — for testing.”

Musk repeated the claim later in his testimony.

“I briefly used this account as a test account,” he said.

In 2022, Musk used the account while interacting with Michael Saylor, the executive chairman of MicroStrategy and a Bitcoin promoter, and Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky.

Musk asked Saylor, “Do you like Japanese girls?” in one post and said the following to Chesky in another: “I wish I was old enough to go to nightclubs. They sound so fun.”

In an April 2023 post on the account, Musk wrote, “I will finally turn 3 on May 4th!” Musk and Grimes’ son, X Æ A-12, was born on May 4, 2020.

In Monday’s court filing, Bankston alleged that Musk deleted the account in February, on the same day as the court’s discovery order. The posts can still be seen across internet archive websites.

He also claimed that he didn't think they guy was that badly impacted because "only a few million people saw his reply, which is way less than the numbers that view a primary post from him"

The guy had to move house because of the threats..

Musks arrogance is stunning.

On a mental level, there's just so much wrong with Musk. I know he has autism or Asperger's or whatever the hell it's called these days, but there's something deeper at fault too. Certainly not all the cylinders are firing with this guy. His casual disregarding nature says there's more going on than just being rich and not going a damn.

There comes a point when even loaded, arrogant, wankers sit back and say to themselves, "Jesus, what the hell am I doing?"

Autism community has very mixed feelings on Musk too. He basically said ages back that the Neuralink could "cure" autism. So I'd say he's a wannabe eugenicist tbh which haven't been really a mainstream thing for decades thankfully...

He's a malignant narcissist utterly convinced of his own brilliance and like all narcissists he is incapable of accepting criticism or challenges to his "authority".

He's also incredibly immature and socially awkward so his reactions to those "attacks" and petulance and stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I thought one of the main principles of Libertarianism was donating money to charities, rather than paying millions in taxes to the Government.

I'd say it who she chooses to give the money to that is annoying him, not the principle. But then Musk and principles, he's very selective about them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Pretty sure one of the main principles of Libertarianism is to say that people should donate to charity rather than paying the government in taxes, while actually just keeping your money for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Now, now Penn.

Them roads and schools will build themselves.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭francois

Generally I'm ok with self diagnosis. But with him I'm not sure if he's autistic or if he thinks he can use it to excuse some of his actions. Or maybe he just thinks it's cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement