Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on pension

Options
  • 04-04-2024 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Person getting first payment of contributory state pension. Was expecting €277.30 but only got €237. This was for a full week. Is the pension taxable? €40 a week tax seems like a lot.

I have no clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you made full contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

All income is taxable, including state pension. It just depends on the individuals income levels, tax credits etc

Is there other income involved? Is it definitely tax or is amount received just lower than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Tax wouldn't be deducted at source like that. Either the person didn't qualify for full rate (as endacl said) or there's a deduction being made for another reason.

What did their pension award letter say?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

The letter they got said they were entitled to the full €277. They have the required contributions. They are due to retire at the weekend, so tomorrow is their last full day of employment. They do plan to work 19 hrs a week from next week, but were told by social welfare that they could do this without their pension being affected.

They were told the first payment would be made tomorrow. Obviously comes in a few hours early into the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Payment is made from the date a person turns 66. If their birthday is at or after the weekend, they might not have received a full week first time around.

No harm giving the Department a call to confirm what happened.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/4f38a6-operational-guidelines-state-pension-contributory/#part-3-procedures-following-award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The Social Welfare advice was that working would not affect them getting the full pension amount. It depends what the combined earnings are, as to whether they paye tax or not. From my experience, it took a few weeks for it all to settle down. My overpayment of tax was eventually refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's nothing to do with tax. The clue is in the fraction of the full amount which they were paid. They got 6/7 of the full pension. I think the pension week starts on Friday so if your friend's 66th birthday is on Saturday, that would explain the shortfall, they're only entitled to six days of pension for the first weekly payment.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement