Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Ronan O Gara was offered a deal to play NFL when he at the end of his playing career.

There will likely be more Gaa players going in future years, as each NFl team can pick one select one player from outside America now. The Welsh Rugby player switched last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Beggan is over 30 and untested. He has never produced the goods as he hasn’t been in the NFL.

Beggan is over 30 and untested. He has never produced the goods as he hasn’t been in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

Who cares about Beggan and the NFL. A load of nonsense. Monaghan owe us one at the weekend and our form over the last few games has been dismal but I'm still hoping we put it up to them. They aren't exactly setting it alight either, although putting it up to Tyrone is a damn site better than what we've been producing. It is hard to see anything other than a Monaghan win but....

• Advertisement

I mentioned Beggan because he could well feature at the weekend. A lot of play goes through him, the roving role where he is capable of scoring ,or his free taking .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

Ah yeah, I know. Sorry. I'm just a bit fed up with all that NFL chat. I'd say he's a nailed on starter, probably first name on the team sheet for Monaghan and I'd say our management are planning as such. They've missed him badly and they are definitely a better team with him playing.

Dick Clerkin said on the WAC podcast that he'd probably be starting. The new keeper looked dodgy enough under high balls on a few occasions (particularly bad against Galway I think.…?)

It's giving plenty of rain up to Sunday so the ground may still be heavy(not something we normally associate with championship football) which might hinder Monaghans hard runners if they are fit? Any news on injuries?

Yes, the other keeper McDonnell looked shaky in a few areas.kickouts, under the high ball and wasn't a roving keeper like Beggan. He's from the same club as Vinny Corey, Clontibret, so might be hard to drop him,but Corey would probably be ruthless.

Pity the game wasn't at 2. 4 is a drag, because of TV coverage m

No Killian Clarke, McLoughlin or McVeety named in team or panel. We’re in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tazman06

Clarke and McVeety big losses, unless are named outside the 26 to replace someone on Sunday

• Advertisement

I though we might sneak a win with a full team. After seen the lineup and panel I can't see how we can get anything out of this one a lot of lads are going to have to play out of their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I think thats a real uphill task now for our lads. We can only hope that they appear as a big surprise on the day but its hard to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

A lot of things will need to go right for us and Monaghan cannot be let hit top gear but would be great if we could up it massively for this. Couple of lads on the bench there will be disappointed not to start but at least we have a few options to bring on if the game is tight near the home stretch.

I think the bench is very weak Rehill and Fortune would do a job if needed but after that there are a lot of lads who haven't really taken there chances or got very little game time for whatever reason.

I presume Conor Brady will go to midfield.

Those 2 lads are as good as any on there. I'd rate Tiarnan Madden as someone who could change the tide of a game. I'd be a bit disappointed from what I've seen of Ryan Donohoe this year but I can't really say he was any worse that some of those starting there. The two O'Reillys have chipped in when called upon. I don't think Cormac has done anything wrong so may be disappointed not to have gotten more time. Caoimhin has been a little more inconsistent, looked very good when on form but looked way off it in other games but again you could say that about some of the starters.

End of the day we need big performances all round. 2 or 3 passengers or more and it's going to be a very long day. Those passengers could just as likely be starting as on the bench, same as the big performers. So many question marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hard to see where we can get the win from on Sunday... Was hoping mcveety & Clarke might be in match day squad

At least the hope won't kill us on Sunday

Fortune got a bit of a roasting against Fermanagh. Its much of muchness from what's on the bench to what is starting. Tiernan Madden I thought would have been starting, but hasn't really got going this year for whatever reason.

They are not two lads that be relied on though you don't know what you will get from them until they are on the field hopefully if they are called upon they will do the business. It's a pity the three lads are out if them 3 were listed on that team it would look a hell off a lot stronger and would give us stronger options of the bench also.

In saying that the Monaghan bench doesn't seem to have to much depth either but they have slightly better forward options in Jones and Banningan.

Monaghan team. Beggan at 16, but you'd imagine he comes straight back in. O'Hanlon still missing, Bannigan must not be fully fit.

Wonder how long they'll get out of McManus? His hip injury is well know. Can't train much or play much. Are they going flat out to open a lead and try and hold it for when he comes off?

Ryan McAnesipie not in the 26 either. He covers a lot of ground. Around midfield they wouldn't be as strong as previous. Kearns hasn't involved the last 2 years and Darren Hughes is at the end of his career.

• Advertisement

I suppose that's where the hope lies. Monaghan could go either way. If they're off form and start slow it might just give us a decent platform into the game to grow and make a good old fashioned drumlin derby battle out of it. If it's tight going into the last quarter then it's in the lap of the Gods. Or the bounce of a ball. Or the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Monaghan's half-back line will run riot. I wouldn't give Cavan much of a chance with those lads breaking forward at will.

Given the weather conditions they might not be running riot. It will probaly be a lot of frees. Monaghan have McCarron, McManus and Beggan from range. Cavan are reliant on Lynch for frees. Oisin Kiernan capable with the left peg.

That's always likely but it doesn't necessarily translate to the scoreboard. Wouldn't be the first time Monaghan dominated but left scores after them and if Cavan have shown one thing in the league, it's that if you don't take your chances with them they'll hang round like the grim reaper. It's about the only thing we did well during the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

I think they could get a bad bating now.

Wonder what’s the story with killen Clarke .

Will be a miss at midfield .

Yeah Oisin Brady would be a good free taker too. He needs to get the confidence back, didn't have a great league. Taken off after 20 minutes against Meath was a bit harsh.

I though that this morning now I'm more hopeful a few hours later for some unknown reason 😅.

I don’t see where you’d get much hope from. The full back line is very weak and of the six forwards, four would play in the backline or midfield for their clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Plus the fact that Cavan don't score many goals and concede a fair few.

Advertisement