Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Cole Palmer has to win Young Player of the Year. He is absolutely phenomenon.

(And yes I am a biased Chelsea fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The players he managed previously, sure. The others, people will look to find links or discredit links to suit their own agenda/perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You can tell me next season. Think he's getting another year and rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think it's more frustrating because he actually looked good last season. Team became more solid, dealt with the Ronaldo situation well and was making changes that affected games. Rashford playing like the player he can be and looking like he could be among the best attackers in the league.

There was scope for optimism coming into this season but since the beginning it's been a shít show. Everything he did well last season he has messed up this season. Handled Greenwood and Sancho situations badly and looks tactically clueless. It's hard to let go of the optimism for some so they have started going after the individuals rather than looking at what is affecting the collective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is Foden still eligible for YPOTY? These awards are strange, like when Messi won POTY again this year instead of Haaland.

If you’re signed to be the back up to Luke Shaw you’ll get a fair amount of game time. He worked with lots of them. It’s on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What changes next season? Having a new man in a suit in the boardroom doesn't change some of the biggest issues on the pitch and the dressing room in one transfer window.

Do you think bringing in the cycling lad is going to somehow change Rashford's attitude towards hard work and leaks to the media. Will a new commercial director that was poached from City stop Bruno whining non-stop and instead appoint a new captain that doesn't pack it in when the going gets tough? Will the DOF magically make the large gaps that appear between the midfield and defence go away? Is Dan Ashworth going to get Mainoo to stop over-running the ball very often leaving big holes behind him. Will the new head of marketing work on preventing that run-to-byline-and-cut-back goal that Man Utd seem to concede every other week? Will the new head of academy liasion officer stop recommending new signings that share his agent or who he worked with previously? Well, that one may the stay the same!

There is only so much that the 'office' staff can do. ETH manages the on-pitch stuff and he is failing bad at that. Whatever about tactics and transfers, his managing of players appears to be very bad with over-playing some players, and rushing back others from injury leading to further injury.

If you think of those ETH issues wil all change because some Brailsford lad comes in to a place on the board, then more power to you.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Music to the ears of the other clubs wanting to get into European spots then. IMO.

• Advertisement

The CL is a joke next season anyway. Guess Europa is the same. Uefa have really messed up those European comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah I think this is spot on, and I do get it. Emotions were running high at the end of last season - just as they were during moments under Ole and Mourinho. It's naturally very difficult to accept it is wrong, again, and to forget all that optimism. It is what it is, in the end.

Love to know how he handled the Sancho and greenwood situations badly

Ah yes, 'Europe is **** anyway, I wouldn't want to be in it'. Class.

I mean, in fairness, wasn't like ETH was able to hack it in the current format against luminaries like Copenhagen and Galatasary!

He was happy to accept Greenwood back into the first team squad.

I know United ruined your childhood but the current obsession isn't healthy man. Let it go. I never said I didn't want it but obviously you've no clue what they are doing next season by turning it into a super league and no more group stages

You still want to compete on the biggest stage, pretending otherwise is a nonsense!

He complained about a player's training in a post game interview with pundits. Pep or Klopp don't do that, in fact I've not seen Pep pop over for a chat with the lads at all, maybe I've missed him as I don't watch them that much. Whatever if you've had your disagreements with a player, airing it in public is stupid.

By all accounts he was the one happy to bring Greenwood back into the fold. Despite the obvious blowback that was coming from a PR standpoint and probably personally to the player if he played any games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Pep has a go at players straight after games, regularly. He gave Grealish a five-minute lecture after they won 4-1 midweek. You are correct though - shouldn't be done in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The same Pep that said one of his players was too overweight to train or play football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would say the slight distinction there is Pep was already done with Phillips, he was already no longer a serious selection choice. It was at the end of the functioning relationship, whereas with Sancho it caused the end of the functioning relationship.

(I think Pep was childish and wrong to have said it regardless though, just needlessly mean spirited)

Well the rare occasion of United fans siding with Sancho over his laziness has got us into this mess anyway. Same for Rashford.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I'm going out on the limb here and I think UTD will beat Liverpool on Sunday. Their transformation to the Liverpool team lof the 90/00's will finally be completed...

Be absolutely dross for most of the season but raise their games and be a torn in the side of their nearest rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stockholm syndrome has set in if it takes rival fans to convince United fans they need to bin off the manager

• Advertisement

Trust me. No rival fan wants ETH to go anywhere. There's no consistency with Utd whatsoever in results or even style of play. It's mind boggling as he's had loads of time to cement a style at least.

I'm not sure Gareth Southgate is the answer either, but that would be fairly amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is the funniest post I've read in as long as I can remember.

I don't know much about the world of top level management. But I know enough to know that Southgate is definitely not the answer to UTD's current woes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Presumably his first signings would be Jordan Henderson and Kalvin Phillips. Luckily for him Harry Maguire is already there.

United appointing Gareth Southgate as manager would be even funnier than this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

United are the most unpredictable team I've seen in a while - it all depends on which attitude United bring into the game, and in that context anything is possible.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

There's also the added cavite, that despite being top of the league. Liverpool are not actually playing that well...

I feel this is the game that will finally catch them, you can't keep getting results playing like they are, eventually you come unstuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You make a good point as regarding the managers, with the exception of Moyes, not doing anything after they left. Thing is Van Gaal won a Bundesliga in his last full season in league football before United and he won a Champions league many years before that as well as multiple league titles in different countries. Mourinho won the Premier league in his last full season before taking the United job and had won league titles with every club he had joined up until the United job.

So there's two sides to it. They were great before they got there and United obviously ruined them.

So maybe you are right about Ten Haag, he was great but a couple of years at United has ruined him. Maybe that's the case. Personally I think Ten Haag is a good manager but he's dealing with a bunch of rejects many of whom he had no input into signing. If the change at United is a good one they could be back contending pretty quickly. I'd like to see Ten Haag get one year with this new regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't think it's the case that United ruined any of them, so much as Utd just made bad choices at the wrong times.

On a few occasions they've gone for the tried and tested - but I think maybe there's an argument they actually went TOO tried and tested. Van Gaal's best days at 62 were in the past - I think he was still a safe enough pair of hands, he did alright, and probably even deserved more time after winning the cup - but the innovation of his earlier years was well behind him. That last Bayern win was 4 years before joining Utd, and he was out of the club game entirely for 3 years.

Mourinho… when he rejoined Chelsea in 2013 I thought "this is gonna be interesting…". But such was his absolute implosion there (not his first) that when he joined Man Utd in 2016 I - and I think many many others - thought "this is gonna be hilarious". The exact same thing continued at Spurs not long after, and then at Roma.

Moyes is back doing what he did before joining them, just an appointment of a good guy, who is a good manager at a certain level, but not above it (much like Hodgson at Liverpool).

Ole, no track record before, and none after. A silly populist choice at the time.

So for each of those, I would say what happened at Utd fits fairly neatly into the broader trajectory of their careers. I would also argue that each of Van Gaal, Jose, and Moyes put their stamp on the team, getting the team to play 'their way'. But what 'their way' meant in each case was no longer suited to what had become the required level at the top.

Ten Haag was at least an interesting switch of going for a highly rated guy who was unproven in a top level league, but felt worth a risk. It was a brave move, but it's not worked out. And unlike those other 3, he's failed to implement a cohesive functional style.

Something also worth mentioning - this all fits very neatly into the idea of blaming those upstairs. Like, if we're saying that they were bad at all aspects of recruitment, from staff to players, then surely it's reasonable to argue that this also extends into them being bad at recruiting managers.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

This is Man Utd ffs, one of the biggest clubs in the world. Moyes absolutely did “nothing” from the perspective of Man Utd after he left. If you are on the fence about a Man Utd manager the question is whether you think he’s going to Real / Bayern / Liverpool / City / etc if you let him go - i.e. is he going to turn up at one of their actual rivals and help them to win the things Utd are aiming for?

You can say ETH is a “good” manager (and leaving aside what that can possibly mean when his side have conceded more shots on goal than the rest of the league) but if you think he’s rocking up to Real or City in the future I’d say you are deluded.

I see the logic in taking a punt on him, as a guy who maybe could have taken that leap. In the same way that hoping Mourinho wasn’t washed was the other way of approaching the problem. But if Man Utd don’t think they have one of the very best managers in the world; don’t have a guy Real Madrid would hire - then he’s not the guy.

Utd aren’t in the same league as Real so shouldn’t be comparing themselves to them when it comes to attracting managers. No way Xabi Alonso would take Utd over Real.
    I just hope Utd stick with Ten Hag, he’s taking them nowhere and as long as that continues it’s good for rival teams.

Well that’s what Utd should be aspiring and striving to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good start for Palace anyway, not that I'd have much hope of them holding on

in theory, yes. In practice, no. They can’t attract the best players ahead of Madrid, only 1 or 2 clubs are at that level. Same with the manager.

• Advertisement

City are mauling them. Should already be in the lead despite going down a goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rodro gets his pocket picked and Ayew hits the bar - thought he should have passed to his left though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Quality camera work there - Twice - on the City bench.

Palace away is one of city's dodgy fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Always taught that myself until they said peps record is 6 wins 2 draws

Lol, how did Gvardiol not give a peno away earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

You have to wonder (or not) how Palace didn’t get a penalty earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Eze has been really disappointing.

Ball given away constantly

Because a slightly marginal call very rarely ever seems to go against them. It's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Funny how narrative on the media works.

On RTE, earlier, they were previewing the games, and in particular West Ham v Wolves. The 'experts' were saying about how well West Ham are going, and the great season they are having, while there was general disappointment about the season Wolves have had and that they should be doing better.

As it stands, Wolves are ahead of West Ham on the table.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement