Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Centre Lifts.

Options
  • 02-04-2024 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember any shopping centre (I'm thinking city centre) that had lifts that when they reached the bottom they were surrounded by water like small ponds were people threw money in, or they had something like water pouring down the sides of them.

The lifts were like glass cylinders so you could see everything.

I know Blackrock had a waterfall but pretty sure it wasn't that.

Maybe I'm off my rocker or probably convinced myself they were real in a dream or something😂

Anyone? Thinking the late 80's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GarlicBed

the square ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GarlicBed

Also the ones in black rock clinic have a pond around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The Square had something similar alright. The ground floor had a pond where you threw money

The Ilac Centre had glass lifts, but the pond where you threw money was a bit away, kind of the centre of the shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

What happened to all the water features in shopping centres very popular in the 90s but nearly all disappeared by the late 2000s. Were they very expensive to maintain or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expensive to maintain, constantly having to fish kids out of them because they went in, risk of legionella.

• Advertisement

Does the Irish Life Centre still have one? Only place I could think of that still has one remember seeing a video a good few years back of two junkies in it collecting the coins. If it is must be the last remaining shopping centre with an indoor fountain.

The Irish Life Centre was ripped out entirely and replaced with a Lidl filling all the floor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

The one in Omni Centre in Santry, the money fished out of that pays for the owners' horses getting new shoes every couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It was the ilac, for some reason I had in my head there was only one floor. My family worked around the corner. They confirmed.

Ahhh what a time to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Those glass lifts in the Ilac both fascinated and terrified me as a kid. They made me think of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, sequel to the Chocolate Factory. It was a book we had in the house, don't think I ever read it but the cover had a great illustration.

They just seemed so fantastic, but in reality I don't think they went anywhere at all, car park, staff offices? We always went into town in the bus so never had any cause to use the lift. At the time, late 80's for me, they were probably one of the few glass elevators around although they are quite common now. I also remember the vending machine at the bottom selling Dunnes cola for 20p or something.

I think Blanchardstown SC has a pond in the centre still? It did when I was last the, although that was probably 8+ years ago at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

The pool in Blanch SC was removed during recent renovations

There isn't a lot upstairs - Dunnes has/had an upstairs that was only accessible from inside Dunnes and the carpark lifts; TK Maxx has an upstairs (I cannot remember what was in that unit originally); and the library is upstairs using the lifts you remember

There's also an upstairs the other side of the central section with nothing in it; store rooms for other shops and at least in the past, a random glass fronted bit that I once had to wire up a radio broadcast from. Stairs for this were accessed from outside.

Advertisement