Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

it would be good if this was more publicised. I got a siteban recently, didn’t know anything about it until I tried to log in and got a message stating that my account was temporarily banned. No indication as to how long, no way of seeing why, nothing. Just had to keep trying to log in intermittently until it was finally up and I was free to post again.

• it’s a bit convoluted and confusing but basically

When you get 5 (or more) points the siteban will kick in and expires once your “active” points go away. I think it depends on when the oldest warning was issued how long it takes. Beasty had a really good explanation somewhere but yes it should be made a sticky in help desk or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Not meaning to sound smart, but where is Beasty? Not like him to not contribute to a thread like this. We’re all out for the same thing here, the betterment and improvements that can be made to the site.

Surely Beasty has some contribution to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Shoog

Beasty gets a lot of hate from certain quarters so why would he be here opening himself up to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

One question I have is if a post is flagged against a mod who is not a moderator on the forum they are posting in do they have the ability to remove the report?

I know mods have full visibility of all reported posts across all forums just wondering is there something in place on the new platform to prevent this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I agree that he gets a lot of hate, and it’s totally unwarranted. But considering what is being discussed I just would’ve thought he’d have a thing or two to say.

I suppose he’s reading the thread, and maybe passing his suggestions onto the others.

Like I said, I’m not trying to be smart or cause any issue, was just wondering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, that's not possible. Mods and cmods simply don't have permissions to remove the report. And either way, there's also the email notification that's auto generated for the report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They cannot do this. Even if it were possible, if any mod ever did this they would be immediately removed as a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What about where a mod gets thread banned on a thread they started or were posting in. Its happened there recently and it really was not that mods finest hour.

Is there an investigation into this or process for self reflection/learning?

Its not a good example of the traits required of a mod or what's expected of members. I would assume mods must show balance, moderation, level headed, impartiality to some degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

If people think Boards modding is bad, and it is in many ways then try reddit, they have some state of the art AI that detects people who have been banned and even if you register under a different name or email address it finds you and your account gets closed again, a ban on redit is now permanent, very scary stuff to be honest. Not even a VPN saves you on Reddit if you get banned.

The R/Ireland subreddit is the most obnoxious liberal feminist shower of scum and say anything at all and you're reported and it's always hate speech because someone can't deal with hearing something they don't want to hear. This is what bugs me the most, people having others banned because they only want themselves being heard.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Outside of the forums they moderate mods are treated the same as normal users.

Yes, we expect mods to set an example, but everyone makes mistakes, everyone can get a bit riled up sometimes, getting the odd infraction or thread ban isn't going to see them removed as a mod (unless it was something particularly bad). They are still human at the end of the day.

But if there was a pattern of getting infractions then yes, it would be looked at, and they could be de-modded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"This is what bugs me the most, people having others banned because they only want themselves being heard."

There's a fair amount of that here too and it's easy enough to spot the cliques. The ruination of any honest & open discussion & site. It's seemingly permitted and facilitated though. A sort of self imposed 'hate speech' arrangement. What's the saying - 'None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are freed '

Yes it happens a lot here and I was banned from a thread for mentioning this before that's how ridiculous it can be.

The double standards on boards is incredible, it's usually the liberals who try to shut down speech, this is why Musk took over twitter, to make it more open and honest because it was controlled by liberals and would shut down speech if they didn't agree with it, same on most platforms, Google, Apple etc. They remove content all the time they don't agree with.

Mods of particular threads should be impartial, non biased, should allow free discussion but this is not the case, they frequently ban people on Boards for just saying things that go against what maybe others think and it's as simple as this, the mods are usually the biased ones who agree with the topic, for example, in the motors section, talk about electric cars get banned, in the EV section, highlight anything the shows electric cars in a negative way in any way shape or form = ban. This is wrong and people need to learn to listen and not shut down others. This is what is going to happen in the hate speech laws too, allow minorities to dictate and rule the majority, this is wrong.

boards.ie is declining and it won't be here in 10 years as this form of communication is ancient and only appeals to the 30's + the 20's are all on instant gratification platforms shuch as youtube shorts, tiktok and instagram, there's probably others.

I got banned from one of the EV threads simply for posting an article about the damage lithium mining is doing.

I created a new thread in the EV section about the concerns of lithium mining and why don't we destroy our own land to get lithium is electric cars are so environmentally friendly ? there is lithium around mount leinster and cobalt in the south west but guess what ? the whole thread disappeared, boards.ie mods simply should not have this level of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shimadzu

Boards used to be a place many would turn to seeking advice, it was very handy when it came to DIY, car issues, computers, government services, bargains etc. There were many contributors that were very knowledgeable and willing to offer opinions. Unfortunately there was a surge in hostile posters or posters just looking to get a rise out of people while contributing very little to the site, this drove a lot of people away as the sites usefulness diminished. As it stands boards is a site you visit if you want to have a argument with some randomers online and is useful for little else at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oh I don't know about that - there's a fair bit of activity on many such help/ advice threads. Look down the latest posts at most times and there's a good number.

• yeah take a peek to the motors, food, coffee forums just off the top of my head as ones I frequent and then come here and tell me no one wants to help.

Like I posted a thread the other evening about car batteries for some advice, one or two mins after I posted I answered one of my questions myself so edit the OP but already someone had answered me!

Some forums are definitely quieter as a result of vanilla and as you say some folk here just live for an argument but to suggest there’s no point asking for help here anymore is nonsense to be blunt.

One of the major issues I take from this thread is this doom and gloom attitude that the sites F’d beyond repair— but it’s just not the case. It’s also completely unhelpful.

As it stands boards is a site you visit if you want to have a argument with some randomers online and is useful for little else at the moment.

Say what you want though, r/Ireland is far, far worse, absolute pure toxic, I thought this place was bad until I discovered that and I'm talking more about the SS style modding where you really can't offer any opinion that goes against the modern day liberalist view or you can be banned from the whole platform not just r/ireland this is the extent the folk at r/Ireland go to , they will have you banned off the platform entirely so that others won't have to hear anything you got to say that they don't agree with.

I do firmly believe Mods on Boards have far too much power, thread bans, Site bans, even deleting threads they don't think should be seen FFS, it's an incredible abuse of power on such a platform. Just because someone doesn't want to hear or see something shouldn't give them the right to have it removed even if people complain, what type of platform is this if only boards approved content can be displayed ? I know they have the right as a private company but still, it's an abuse of power and free speech which the internet was supposed to be all about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This.

I'd add that there's simply no point in engaging with people who pretend that they're being censored. I stopped a long time ago.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just because someone doesn't want to hear or see something shouldn't give them the right to have it removed

just because you think you have the right to say something, that does not give you the right to say something without consequence !

if that consequence is a ban from a thread, a warning, or a site ban…. well thats the consequence for saying whatever egregious thing you came up with.

if you want a life without consequences im afraid youre in a for a very rude awakening when you get older.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

what type of platform is this if only boards approved content can be displayed ? I know they have the right as a private company but still, it's an abuse of power and free speech which the internet was supposed to be all about.

You answered your own question there. This is a private company. Membership is open to everyone but you have to agree to the rules. If you don't agree to the rules then you can't be a member.

There is no right to free speech on this site. If you want to post about something that isn't allowed on Boards you can always post it on your own pages. We all have social media accounts now. If you feel strongly enough about a topic you are free to start the conversation on your own page. Set up your own blog etc.

Boards.ie is responsible for the content posted on it. That's why you don't have a right to free speech here.

May I suggest you set one up if you feel strongly enough about a subject that you want to post on the internet about it.

What are you some boards.ie lick arse ?

Warned for being uncivil. -Shield

Post edited by Shield on

😊I'm just answering your feedback.

You seem annoyed by the fact that Boards.ie restrict your right to free speech. As per your own post it's what "the internet was supposed to be all about." (Although I think it was originally a global information and communication device)

So if you're struggling with being restricted on this site I am simply suggesting you set up your own site, page, social media account, blog. There are many options available to you where you won't be restricted by the site rules of Boards.ie

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• I would argue boards doesn’t impact anyone’s right to free speech (even if this isn’t America), but at the same time freedom of speech doesn’t mean everyone has to listen or that you have to be given a platform to voice those opinions.

Just like every other social media platform and message board there’s rules and regulations. You can’t just post what you like on Facebook or Twitter either!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thought you could on Twitter since Elon took over? One of the main reasons I dont have an account.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Shoog

That will get you banned and is a perfect example of what people are talking about. Well done lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

Big Braveheart fans, these lads. "You may take away my account, but you will never take away my free speech!!!"

• Advertisement

You're an admin and you can't take a bit of a slagging ? I have to get a "careful now" warning lol, mad.

Should be able to tell someone shut the f1ck up and stop being a condescending prick and that person should be mature enough to deal with it instead of using power and influence "to show me" pathetic really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement