Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freely ,terrestrial moves to streaming from next year.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gardening

It's a cheaper way for them to broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gardening

It's because it's a cheaper way for them to broadcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder if Hisense will 'upgrade' the existing TVs to incorporate Freely in place of its already fairly functional grouping of BBC, ITV, Ch5, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Perhaps a stand alone separate set top / firestick device may be available later,allowing you to keep your existing TV.

I know of parts of the country still not getting freeview terrestrial service,they rely on Sky,but we're going to pack it in.

They have Internet and thought Freely could be their salvation,only to find they'd have to buy a new tele!

Maybe more money may be made in the mix,as we suffer 6inch screens as mentioned above,with ear buds.

As pointed out many more and closer Txs for 5 g,but perhaps car reception might improve?

I recently drove the very short distance from Newcastle. Co Down to Annalong. Only to hear the radio ulster programme morph into Irish and then Welsh. Isle of Mann Tx 200 Watts,Wales, 50kwatts!

Comments on the BBC site,perhaps your in a poor reception area! ( But we'll keep taking your licence fee,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

Ay, beratna, I hear ya loud and clear 'bout da radio dance between Newcastle and Annalong. It's like tryin' to catch a signal from da far reaches of da Belt.

But hold up, it ain't just about da power of da transmitters. Sometimes, it's all 'bout da angles, da curves of da rock, da way da signals bounce and twist through da void.

I feel ya frustration, yeah? One moment you're groovin' to Radio Ulster, next thing ya know, it's morphin' into Irish and Welsh like some kinda cosmic remix.

But check it, we beltalowda, we adapt, we find ways to tune in even when da waves be playin' tricks on us. Maybe one day, da tech'll catch up, da signals'll ride smooth like a skiff on calm waters.

Till then, keep ya ears peeled, beratna, and keep shoutin' into da void. Maybe someday, da waves'll sing our tune loud and clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sky emailing customers warning switch off of old gear,If you don't contract up? Panic sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

Eh, beratna, I hear ya loud and clear, like a transmission through the void. Sky's always droppin' them messages, makin' us feel like we're driftin' without a tether.

But take a breath, yeah? Don't let da panic grip ya like da vacuum itself. It's just da churn of da scap, da way da Sky keep their business spinnin'. Ain't nothin' to fret over.

Sure, they'll send their warnings, their threats, like da roar of a hurricane. But remember, ya hold da power, beratna. Contract or no contract, you're still da captain of ya own ship.

So don't let da Sky rattle ya cage. Keep ya head high, keep sailin' through da scap. Panic ain't in our beltalowda nature. Oye, we're stronger than da churn, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Belta_TVwiz, welcome to Boards. Generally, it’s the custom (and rule) to post in English here. Further posts worthy of Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean will be regarded as trolling, and will be actioned as such. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Well there's also another glaring problem, which unfortunately I'm sure they dont give two hoots about.

Currently and always, if you wanted your local stations be it RTE or BBC, once you had your TV got and your aerial up that was it, you are good. Ya I know you need a TV licence obviously.

Where as if everything was moved to streaming you now have a once off aerial cost replaced by a monthly broadband charge that's necessary to access your local public content along with no doubt still needing your licence fee.

For example I have RTE on digital and have a dish with UK channels. Don't bother with any sort of broadband package as I use my phone to stream the odd film or whatever to the TV if I wanted.

But it would be some pain for me to do that 24/7 as well as data caps or if you had visitors etc. So you'd nearly want a broadband package and your phone package.

What about people on low incomes or fixed incomes like pensioners, disabled etc? It's just more costs to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

I, like many others I'm sure, have been considering the options, using FTA for about 20 years, never had a tv sub but do have broadband or should I say I pay for a service. Our provider says on our plan can get speeds UP to 200 mbps, we regularly get about 5 mbps, sometimes even 6, on old copper cable, imagine trying to stream tv/ Netflix/ YouTube on various screens at the same time. Terrestrial broadcasting will continue for some time to come, in the absence of reliable broadband, what we would miss would be a few of the UK satellite channels. Maybe there will be some some arrangement made for the likes of BBC but wouldn't expect much more than that.

In my area a number of folk have always be unable to receive local tv, dab,or even FM.

The hope was that now fibre is readily available,but expensive,copper has gone,bringing some problems,but maybe Freely on Broadband would at least bring their local channels to the area.

Sadly not,unless you purchase a new TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I too use aerial and dish for almost all TV.

I also have a broadband connection so have contemplated going IPTV subscription but not moved as yet.

I have set up the main TV for SWMBO so she can get access to BBC/ITV/Ch4,5 and so on including films and series, which come in over the broadband connection.

I expect with the above there is little missed …. I would probably watch sport if available, but it is not worth the cost to me as I do not have a serious interest in it.

Advertisement