Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness Benefit, how long does it last...

• 19-09-2023 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

So I've been off work sick this past 18 months, been on IB, disc problems in my back, eventually had surgery 5 months ago, but I'm still in alot of bother, incidentally I'm back to see surgeon on Friday to see what our next step is to be. I might need more surgery 😩.

So, am I right in thinking that IB lasts for 2 years, what should I be looking about doing incase I am missing a trick.

Previous to this I had been a full time employee for 15 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You’ll need to apply for either Invalidity Pension or Disability Allowance find out which is more beneficial to you. IP is based on PRSI contributions, DA is means tested but the means test for DA is one of the most generous of all means tested social welfare payments. Once approved you can do some work and keep some or all of your DA if you are able at some point in the future to think about returning to work. You can’t work on IP but there’s another payment called partial capacity which you can work on. I don’t know the ins and out of the 2 PRSI based payments thought. I only have experience of DA which I’ve been on since 2018. Which ever payment you go for apply as soon as you can as you could be waiting 6 months if you need to appeal the decision. Both avenues can be hard to get approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Difficult to answer not knowing how many stamps you have, the Maximum length of time is just under 2 years (18 months approx) if you have the maximum amount of contributions for the 2 years prior to claiming, it's less otherwise

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

How would I apply for it or do I need to wait until, IB runs out?

As for how many stamp I have... I've no idea. I worked this past 22 years (15 in my latest job) I'm 45 currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you ring illness benefits section they should be able to tell you how long you have left. Citizens Advice can help you figure out which payment to go for. It depends on all your circumstances. No don’t wait till your illness benefit runs out, apply now. You can request a copy of your PRSI contributions on mywelfare.

Citizens advice as in the building, like make an appointment to see them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You can just ring them, no need to actually go in. Look on their website for the number of your local office or use the number below. I have found them very helpful in the past.

Do you know if i really need a PSC card - Ive never bought into the idea of having one or i didnt really need one but maybe i need to get one now for sickness/welfare.

I'm actually surprised you don't have one. If you were on a payment requiring collection at a post office you'd be in great difficulty. I would strongly recommend you get one ASAP, you'll have to do it face to face at your local Intero centre for your initial PSC . Those renewing can do it on line

I've managed so far to get away with not needing one. But looking on welfare.ie I'm severely restricted unless I get one....

Very restricted, particularly with Welfare services, I'm assuming your IB being paid into your bank, had you ticked your local post office for collection, you'd have had to get a PSC.

• Advertisement

Hi There again Cherry

So i applied for IP back last Sept - Got a rejection Letter in late november - Appealed the decision but still no word on appeal - Apparently its with an appeals officer

Ive run out of Illenss Benefit since early March(nothing comng in this past 4 weeks) - what should or could i be looking at doing - Should i wait for the appeal to come through and if rejected again what will should i look at doing.

Thanks

It is very unusual they didn't write to you & recommend you apply for Disability Allowance if your eligibility for illness benefit was running out.

As you've an IP decision pending I'd advise applying for Supplemenary welfare allowance immediately. They'll see your pending IP application & hopefully speed up a payment. Keep in mind SWA is means tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

IP appeals are currently running at 22 weeks. What was the reason for your refusal?

You need to see about applying for supplementary allowance whilst you are waiting for a decision.

Ah they did write, and let me know. And I had the I P application in at the time, I applied for IP as I'm not sure if I would have got much from DA with the means test.

Mrs works and I get 1/3 of my former wage from work income protection. At what point or threshold of income do we not qualify for any help.

Advertisement