Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Centre

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I was chatting to a Limerick 2030 project manager at a consultation event last year and asked were they considering going after the likes of the Press Up group and their Dean Hotel brand. He said that was the type of operator they would be targeting. Although I reckon the likes of Premier Inn are a more realistic option. They've openly stated they're currently looking for a site in Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So the aparthotel could end up being a normal hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

It was The Dean that was mentioned to me before Christmas as the probable operators of the hotel on Ellen St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Which would be great as Limerick now the only city without one and as you and Vanquished mentioned, a Dean also comes with another one of the Press Up groups establishments like Elephant and Castle, Sophie's, etc.

This is what I would liked to have seen for Debenhams rather than the proposed Aparthotel. Offers something to residents, e.g. bars, rooftop restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,628 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well looking at recent developments in Cork their Premier Inn is successful enough that they just announced a second near by and The Dean opened recently there so it wouldn't be that shocking to see Limerick next on any expansion plan.

Premier Inn have said they plan on Limerick and Galway hotels and The Dean are already in Galway.

One of each would be perfect as it fits two different price points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

The Dean is a savage hotel. One in Limerick would be super.

Premier Inns in the UK and super dull

I stayed in Cork twice recently because Premier Inn was affordable. Would have went to a different city if it wasn't there. Stayed for 57e a night which you won't always get but any hotel doing under 100e for Dublin or Cork is great money these days. And it's a brand people know which we are very short of in Limerick.

Personally I will pay 80e for a Premier Inn and have a hundred extra to spend on the city I visit over a fancy hotel I will barely see the inside of.

We need all types of hotel to compete.

A Dean hotel would be preferable for sure. I thought they might be an option for Cleeve's but I'd rather see them locate right in the heart of the city centre. The 'opera' site will need some footfall drivers as the three planned office buildings are not going to provide much in the way of a draw. The new library will help as will the proposed cafe/restaurant/bar spaces but a recognisable hotel brand with a full range of facilities would be a huge boost to the new block. It's amazing that there hasn't been a new hotel opening in the city centre since One Pery Square in 2009!

As you mentioned, the plans for Debenhams/Roche's Stores are incredibly uninspiring. You'd have expected something far more innovative and ambitious for a landmark building on probably the most prominent corner in the city centre. The fact that there wasn't even an attempt to redevelop the wasteful 1980s two storey shed on Sarsfield Street really illustrates the lack of vision from the developer. Who knows though, maybe the plans might change if a new development partner/financier comes on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Would rhe Quinn's pub site be part of the any proposed hotel/restaurant area or would that ve another stand alone development

Quin's is a separate element as per the current plans. From memory it'll be refurbished to provide bar/restaurant space on three levels with an outdoor courtyard area also. It would be great to see this reopening around the same time as the office building next door is completed but there hasn't been a tender notice issued for this part of the project yet.

Three of the five Georgian townhouses on Ellen Street are to accommodate hotel suites in their upper floors under the current plans. Depending on the requirements of the future hotel operator you could either see this proposal expanded to encompass the whole terrace or dropped completely. An entirely new design will likely emerge for the hotel at the Patrick Street/Ellen Street junction. Hopefully it'll be something bespoke and distinctive. That site has tremendous potential as it addresses two streets and also a new public plaza to the rear. It requires and deserves a high level of design quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Well I agree with this as well. Choice is important for everyone

Hopefully not as "bespoke and distinctive" as Dean Cork 🤣

Cant see that design age well.

I actually like the Dean in Cork. I wasn't sure at first but I had a good look around it in person last year and I think the design works quite well. It's a pretty unusual building in an Irish context but a welcome departure from the conservative templated box type norms we see here far too often. It's much better than their Galway hotel anyway which is a bit of a muddled mess at street level especially.

The sweeping undulating shape of the Cork hotel is pretty dramatic and the black cladding of varying dimensions that the building is faced with is quite eye catching also. It's reminiscent of the type of designs and shapes you'd associate with Scandinavia and northern Europe. Buildings faced in darker toned brick or stone can look very well. The Dublin Landings development being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭djdunny

would be great if they also included their Power Gym & pool too. I know the strand is only over the bridge but would be great to have something like that right in the city centre.

I see there's going to be a Dean hotel in Kilkenny now also. The group has sold off a majority shareholding to new investors but the existing operators will continue to run the portfolio of hotels.

Not sure what this means in terms of future expansion but here's a quote from the investment managers behind the new stakeholders:

"We look forward to continuing to honour The Dean Hotel Group's Irish heritage as we work together to deliver on the next phase of growth for the portfolio."

Surely if they are to continue expanding their portfolio then Limerick has to be in their plans. Kilkenny is a quarter of the size of Limerick for reference.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1031/1413862-majority-stake-in-mckillens-dean-hotel-group-sold/

Pretty sure Kilkenny out performs Limerick in a number of tourist metrics. Certainly shows up a lot more on guides like Michelin and domestic tourism guides.

Killarney is the other one that blows bigger places out of the water. People especially the Americans go where they are told and that's Galway, Kilkenny and Killarney. West Cork is another one and even within Limerick Adare was so massively over hyped.

The trend is changing towards city breaks with easy airport access which is very evident in Cork and becoming so in Limerick but we should still expect some things like this especially when the group already have Cork and Galway (north, south, east, west, Dublin) which is a smart model.

It's an interesting point actually. The most recent figures compiled by Failte Ireland from CSO data show that Kilkenny received 387,000 domestic visitors compared to Limerick's 349,000 although the amount spent by those visitors was slightly greater in Limerick.

Limerick actually comes out on top in terms of Irish resident nights and length of stay. 713,000 vs Kilkenny's 671,000 and 2 nights duration in comparison to 1.7. Limerick also gets double the number of overseas tourists compared to Kilkenny although that's to be expected given our proximity to an international airport and location on the route to Kerry.

https://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/Publications/Domestic-Trips-and-Revenue-by-County-2019-and-2021.pdf?ext=.pdf

Kilkenny is definitely more geared towards tourism for sure as evidenced by the efforts the local Council have made to improve the public realm and the standards they employ in relation to shopfronts and the upkeep of premises etc. Limerick is considerably lacking in civic pride by comparison and there's no doubt our tourist offering and facilities are under-developed and underperforming. At least a start is being made by the Council now with their tourism strategy and the preparation of a masterplan for improvements to King John's Castle. The Georgian core of the city centre needs urgent attention though. The likes of The Crescent, Pery Square and the collection of streets down to the main retail area badly need public realm and lighting upgrades. If this was done in a sensitive heritage style it would hugely enhance the streetscape for locals and visitors alike.

The idea that a "functional" industrial city could be a tourist destination is a new one and even before modern tourism Limerick was never a destination for the Irish. Times changing though as people now want city breaks and an "authentic" experience over the Darby O'Gill stuff.

Maybe it's just me but I also never heard "my granpappy was from Limerick". Maybe it's because the industrial centres had less emigration in the 19th or early 20th or maybe Limerick just isn't as cool a story as some thatched cottage that half of Boston thinks the tans burned their ancestors out of.

I actually find it depressing in Ireland how many of our Michelin restaurants are in the middle of nowhere on some cliff or usually some old country manor. It's a very fake vision of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

Any news about the tenders issued .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick 2030 are not ones for publishing tender awards. You'll probably see more cranes onsite before you hear anything official from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I have heard, through the beloved grapevine, that construction will begin on the 14 storey building in Bank Place in August. Great news if so, but as i said heard through the grapevine.

Advertisement