Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS invoicing me but I am not a customer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭j_lennon18

Great point to highlight regarding CCTV data! Yes, I do have a notice up that came with one of my cameras. I also record only locally to my server (replaced my Ring doorbell last year with a Reolink doorbell for that reason and to avoid subscriptions) so I am not even sharing to the cloud. I have them on a separate secure network (all Ubiquiti networking gear) from my other devices and have firewall rules to block unnecessary traffic. I also blackout/hide (using Blue Iris) a small part of the edges that could capture neighbors/public area so it doesn't record that section and also helps avoid unnecessary triggered events.

The 24 recordings (lower quality) & triggered clips (high quality) also get deleted after a short period of time, this is the first time I needed to hold onto proof of something (that didn't happen) so I will delete those days when it is no longer required. When I want to view it live from outside my house, that all goes through Blue Iris & Home Assistant applications which I have a reverse proxy set up with an SSL cert to access it behind a strong password protected account. I use AI software to analyze motion events to make sure notifications only happen when a person is detected (to reduce false alerts) but that is all processed locally on my server too. I don't store a history of people using the AI to have custom smart home events or notifications for different people, it is something I considered doing when I had time but maybe that could have GDPR implications so I will avoid for now.

But your 100% right, I dont think most people or businesses go to that length and if you feel I am missing another important step then I am all ears as I do take mine & others data seriously (and expect others to do the same) but as I mentioned before I'm definitely not an expert on GDPR (never met anyone that actually is), I'm more just a quiet computer nerd that tries to do things the right way.

Now that I think of this topic, I also never seen a car (with a dashcam or external cameras like Tesla's) with a notice/sticker up (they are required too). They are recording everywhere while driving around (roads, carparks, estates, front gardens…etc) but the Gardai will still ask and probably use to help build cases. It's an interesting topic that I am still trying to understand. I plan to do a bit more research on it when I get a chance to make sure I am actually doing all the right things.

And as mentioned in my previous post, since the debt collector invoice got cancelled yesterday, I am less concerned about this situation now with regards the other invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

You will find that dashcams are absolutely required to have the same rules and you should also know that various case laws (dpp v lunney for a recent example) specified that illegal cctv in itself doesn't prohibit its use in criminal actions. nor is it the job of gardai to enforce the data protection act 2018. So gardai can absolutely take cctv footage as evidence and it will be for the trial judge to decide if its usable. Judge hunt would absolutely allow it unless it was of a persons Private home. That's where your footage is, right? It's also a civil case you wanted to use it in, correct? That's the issue at play. Most people wouldn't consider cctv for civil cases, more to protect the car and house, etc. Dpc has their own view on that as well.

The echr takes a more balanced approach when considering the rules but again, the balance of the victim is against the accused in CRIMINAL cases as per the 2017 act and numerous decisions from the chamber. Your case, again is a civil one utilising cctv from a private home so you're argument falls im afraid. In civil cases, lower level of proof but also lower level of allowances. There's a lot of decisions you can read, they tend to be very long winded though. Boring as well but how they reach their decisions and also how often they are split in opinion can be interesting.

Kudos on being compliant though. It's a rare thing indeed and getting a good result with the debt collectors. They are after low lying fruit.

Good info 👍 You seem to know a lot more than me! I never had to think about any of this before so its all new to me. I don't expect any criminal or civil case to happen and the footage is just proof of a non-event (no attempt to deliver) anyway which is unusual in itself.

Thanks. I personally didn't overthink GDPR when originally setting up my (admittedly overcomplicated) setup but networking & smart home is a hobby so I made sure it was secure, local (moving eveything away from cloud/subscription) and respected my awesome neighbours because a camera pointing away from a home is impossible to get a perfect angle to only capture just the garden so using software to mask it felt the right thing to do as I only care about my area and it also helped reduce false alerts.

And agreed, the 2nd invoice is really just them chancing their aim, I'm sure they will get some people to just pay it but im not worried about that one. And ironically the 2nd invoice for the retuned package was best proof that the other duty invoice was a mistake 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Rules regarding CCTV and data protection are a minefield these days, and I suspect it is why the management company of my London apartment block has a blanket ban (clearly not enforced) on smart doorbells with cameras.

As for the invoice it is surprising how many chancers are out there.

• Advertisement

OP back with a final update: They cancelled the 2nd/last invoice. I am not sure what exactly worked as I had multiple tickets open (they created some after different phone calls and been transferred). My last replies were asking for proof of all the lies they claimed and another reply was asking for the person/department to contact to deal with my GDPR concern so maybe one or both of those replies was key to resolving this.

I still think they shouldn't be sharing personal data to another company of a non-customer (who didn't agree to any terms) beyond the scope of having my details to deliver a package. But with that said, I personally won't follow-up with the GDPR issue as I have more important things to focus my energy on and I wouldn't expect anything to happen anyway. I was really just perusing that path while they had my attention with those 2 incorrect invoices.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice & interesting debates👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

not if you are not their customer. A third party (the sender in this case) cannot sign you up to be a UPS customer and cause you to incur UPS charges (or customs charges).

UPS do not need to hand over the parcel if you refuse to accept these charges though. As the op is not a customer, UPS should not be transferring their details to a third party. Its a GDPR breach in this case, albeit due to an incompetent, lazy mistake by UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

I suggest you read and understand how GDPR actually works. It is probably the most misunderstood and biggest false excuse quoted legislation.

I assure you UPS have a right to retain the details until the transaction is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i do know how it works thank you. I have not said they do not have a right to retain the details. Please re-read my post.

I have said that they should not be transfer the OPs details to a third party (in the way that they have to a debt recovery agency). The OP has not signed up to them as a customer, so would not have been offered the opportunity to reject allowing UPS to request this permission.

Advertisement