Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

100% absolutely

You could even describe it as being under more pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I didn't think it'd take such a short time for someone to prove my point…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My point stands though, the amount of provincial bickering is just increasing. We’ve just had pages of ‘discussion’ that’s basically the same ‘discussion’ from weeks ago when Frisch got called up the first time. It’s gone nowhere and as usual when one of these back and forths that drag on for pages involves Munster you are one of the main posters. I’ve no doubt being a mod is a thankless and crappy task but it still stands this place has gone to the dogs and it’s because it’s not modded properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Imagine a munster fan, using the Munster thread to talk about Munster potentially losing one of our best players due to IRFU rules.

Thats not what this thread is for. It's clearly for Leinster fans to come in here and tell munster fans to quit whining and that Frisch is no loss anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why don't you just scroll past if a discussion isn't to your liking?

Calling for added censorship. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

2nd time in as many nights that's mods have been goaded for a reaction on here. It's almost like there's concerted effort to get a reaction or destroy the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

so, Munster take on Northampton at 12:30 on Sunday, anyone got any opinions or insights about that upcoming event?

Please do not reply with sh1t about kicking percentages bullsh1t.

Munster fans need only reply, lock the thread against any wind up merchants.

We need to cut out those errors & turnovers that have crept into our recent games. Our performance v Cardiff won't beat Saints but I live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I'm a bit worried about our bench and Alex Mitchell, who I'd venture is the form 9 in Europe after Dupont, coming on and wreaking havoc. But if our starting 15 front up then you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Hope tomorrow Zebo brings a little bit of the magic to the game and lights it up, there is great performance waiting to happen for this team, previous games there has being simple mistakes and just not quite there yet, looking forward to tomorrow and praying for a result.

I have to say I actually had the opposite thought - Ahern, Murray, Carbery, O'Brien and Kendellen can all bring something to the later stages of a game, depending on game state.

Archer basically needs to go 80. That's the primary concern for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Scrums the concern if we can get parity there we should be able to win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The unforced errors need to come down; way down from last week. But when things did stick against Cardiff and we got it beyond the edge, we were making 40m off one phase.

I think we're capable of getting the win here, tho Stuart Barnes was on during the week talking about Northampton being the form team in Europe.

Munster have power in the pack this weekend. Something we should have had last weekend before Snyman dropped out. Power allows you to play poorly and still look good. If we can drop the handling errors, and win the collisions, we have the ability to score tries. We do need a good start because if Loughman or Archer get hurt early in the game, Saints have a very clear advantage at scrum, and it's an easy strategy for them to create scrums, win penalties and dominate territory and suffocate us

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

i dont think Archer will stand upto the 80 minutes. Saints have a very good scrum and an excellent attacking game.

We are only up RG and down Nash and more importantly Jager for tomorrow . They will have 15 players for full game

Hope Donnelly can hold his own in the tight but a tall ask.

Form is with saints, they were white hot v saracens last week and we were tepid v Cardiff.

Our best bet is to try stay with them for first 20 mins and grow into the game. Cant see Saints letting us do that

Archer comes off and loughman comes across ideally hard going to have a sub you dont really want to use though

Archer will play as long as he can and then Loughman will try to play tighthead if he can.

Snyman coming in isn't just a single player change. It's a totally different balance to the pack. Last week we had one or two power forwards on the pitch at once, now we have Snyman Beirne and Coombes all playing together with Archer and Loughman in the front row and Hodnett in the loose. This means we can string multiple attack phases together

Last week and for most of the early season we finished with Coombes in the 2nd Row so lost power in both the 2nd row and the back row for the last half hour Coombes is brilliant, but he's not a Kleyn, Snyman or Edogbo sized player)

But in typical Munster Woe we finally have 3 actual 2nd rows fit at the same time (the minimum match day requirement) , and go down to a single available tighthead who also happens to be likely in the last 2 months of his professional career)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Loughman able to do 80 with a switch across? At some point a prop is going to get carded if the scrum is under severe pressure so the subs are going to have to be up for it.

While watching Brumbies v Tahs this morning, I was thinking of Jim Williams so Googled him to see if he was still coaching. Then I was thinking of Dutchy Holland, it started me off thinking about past Munster players that went into coaching, I'd be afraid to start a list as I'd surely forget a few high profile players/coaches but a fair few coaches have come through Munster as players at one stage or another.

Hes more able than a 36 year old archer anyway

The reigning champions cup and challenge cup winning coaches are ex munster players

Its a serious list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Snyman and daly ruled out. You couldn't make it up at this stage. I can't recall anything like it previously

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Snyman illness and Daly with a knock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

missing starters tomorrow : Ryan, barron, Jager, klyne, snyman, Nash, daly.

Now playing in their place: archer, scannell, beirne, Aherne, zebo, obrien.

Our bench tomorrow: Clarke, Wycherley, Donnelly, JOD, kendellan, Murray, carbery, McCarthy.

We needed to be fully loaded for this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A tall order becomes a fairly impossible one.

Mind you the turnaround to playing the Bulls would likely have been insurmountable anyway.

• Advertisement

RGS and Daly are huge losses, more so at this late stage but it is what it is

Advertisement