Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

art imitates life or is it life imitates art?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'm not one for a general election but…..

If half the TD's voted for in government have no intention of running again or have stepped down or retired are they really going to give a **** what happens over the next year? I doubt it.

Harris is a gobshite who failed miserably in ministerial positions. What's all the new generation young folk hullabaloo about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Harris claims the public don't want a general election. Is this the same public who were going to vote yes in the recent referendums?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Voted no in both referenda and I think the government should see out its term. No need for an election before Christmas.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 54,340 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You're in the small minority then.

May I ask why you think the government should see out it's term, what have they done for you to think they deserve to stay on longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Politicians do F@@k all for you the sooner you understand that the better. Both referenda were lost approx 70/30. Parties varied but FG voters split about 50/50 according to polls with the other parties varying from there.

So I am not in the minority. We elect a government to serve 5 years, I see no point in them causing an election any sooner. Elections cost money one every 5 years is enough

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Anything to back up the minority statement?
    We have a group of people online since the forming of the government have been calling for an election every few weeks. That hasn’t changed from what I can see and even after a election if they get the result they want, they will be asking for an election every few weeks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭pureza

To be fair,a good chunk of FF and FG voters voted no,so drawing conclusions that the referendum results mean a majority want an election is bad maths

Not saying you're bad at maths,Im just saying you're not dispassionate enough in your analysis

It was pointed out to Padraig Mcgloughlin on virgin Media's tonight show actually that recent polling suggested a majority were not in favour of an early election

We're 10 months or less away from one anyway so we'll know soon enough where we all are,that wont be long passing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭drury..

Fine Gael are focusing on law and order. Hopefully it's something more than window dressing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's all bluster. How exactly are they going to change things? Are they rewriting the program for government? What exactly have the got planned? Another safe Dublin city centre walkthrough by Helen flanked by loads of Gardai? Simon has less than 11 months tops, soundbites don't help. I think they will run away from the Hate Speech bill.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Soundbites might get them votes

Focus on law and order , farmers ,workers and families and business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Simon Harris is having a fight with himself at the moment.

Hard to believe this fela is the next Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

is he giving a billy big balls speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good speech I thought. Hitting the right notes. Whether it's delivered is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He definitely threw Helen McEntee under the bus.

It would unbelievable if he turned around and kept her as Justice Minister after what he's said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I see Kate o'connell is angling for a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They need someone whose head isn't in the clouds in relation to petty crime and anti social behaviour. She's failed miserably on that. She's not the one to get tougher on it.

"Fine Gael would build 250,000 homes over the next five years, he claimed"

I've read some nonsense in my time but this takes the biscuit

How can anyone take him seriously peddling this

250K homes in 5 years is 1000 homes a week approx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭jackboy

He had something for everyone in that speech, utopia is within reach it seems.

The day of such polished speeches is over. That shite may have had an impact in the past but people have no respect for that now.

The truth should be number one no matter how bad, followed by a credible outline of how things will be improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

Watching on rte plus one hour. Until I see actual actions, this is all just back slapping nonsense. As they say talk is cheap, FG have been in government for well over 10 years now. Does he really think he can do what Enda and Leo haven't.

Where has he found all the money to keep all these promises. Everyyhing he says makes sense and every topic raised needs to be addresed but how he expects to see them through is mind boggling

I see Alan Farrell is being visible lately. Angling for a promotion. By rights he shouldn't even be in Fine Gael anymore. He should have been ejected for his Maria Bailey type antics.

So Harris is finally going to fix the housing crisis....he is going to succeed where Leo, Michael and Darragh O'Brien clearly failed it didn't bother to take it as seriously as Harris. I think Simon is going to ruffle some feathers...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Harris's speech was surprisingly good. He seemed quite nervous and faltering when unveiled to the press in Athlone a fortnight ago but his delivery was much more confident tonight.

i think we hit 90,000 p.a at the height of the tiger which if it kept going would be 450,000

There'd have to be legislation to stop office and commercial building

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭corkie

Fine Gael has seen a one-point drop in support following the appointment
    of Simon Harris as party leader, according to the latest Sunday
    Independent/Ireland Thinks opinion poll.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-poll-gives-no-comfort-to-fine-gael-under-new-leader-simon-harris-as-sinn-fein-also-slips/a1965683262.html

It has been pointed out the speech he gave tonight was almost the same as leader speech?

Compare both below.

https://www.finegael.ie/52715-2/

https://www.finegael.ie/speech-of-the-leader-of-fine-gael-simon-harris-t-d/

Old Joke but his/him lips where moving in both.

#TheTiktokseach

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Who believes this sh1t coming from Ard Fheis leader's speeches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Its good to have a goal…but the target is very aspirational.

Massive issues around available labour, some of which is also required for energy upgrades / retrofitting to existing housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am just saying that government claimed to have figures claiming that they would win the referendum. Anyone I know voted no and anyone I know also wants an election now especially as we now have our third Taoiseach.

• Advertisement

But you're a journalist,why are you giving out about politicians promoting a referendum that they advocate,thats what they do

Any journalist knows or should know that you will not get a politician advocating something to say it wont hapoen

Come on now

Aswell as that all parties recomnended yes,they were all slapped

Sure the main opposition party is going on and on and on about a UI refererendum asap when it hasnt a hope yet

Try to be dispassionate

If everyone you know wants an election,dispassion wont come easy to you because everyone you know isnt a cross section of public opinion on that urgency when theres one coming in probably 7 or 8 months anyway

Advertisement