Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your Eurovision memories?

Options
  • 06-04-2024 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not really sure of the point of this thread but here goes.

I'm turning 32 this and would have small memories of Eurovision's before 2003.

Then in the later half of 2002 You're a Star aired to pick a signer for 2003. I'm fairly sure we weren't in the 2002 contest. I wasn't even sure what Eurovision was.

I was obsessed with Mick Joe Harte, Simon Casey, Michael Leonard, Lisa Bresnan(Has a massive crush on her), Brian Ormond, The Mcelhinney twins(Who I liked because they were from Cork.)

I was gutted when Lisa got voted out but was happy when Mickey Joe won. We even sang his song at a school play/sconcet.

When I saw the actually Eurovision I loved it and thought we could win. I taped it and watched several times. I enjoyed Iceland, Germany(Which everybody at school found hilarious and I had no idea why), Turkey to name a few.

Since then I was hooked.

I've more memories to share but that's enough for now.

What are your Eurovision memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I expect thread will get more traction during what is now a Eurovision week.

I remember it being a lot shorter! All over in one night... all countries in the final. You got a lot more variety with that, singing in own language. Some sincerely bonkers entries as opposed to these days where it is a conscious decision to go bonkers.

I remember being quite aggrieved at Liam O'Reilly losing out to Italy in 1990. Hey thats two losses to Italy in that World Cup year.

You can get a glimpse of old Eurovision if you have BBC4 they will air the 1974 contest in full tomorrow night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

my memories are mostly 70s and early 80’s - Johnny Logan, Red Hurley, CT Wilkinson, Linda Martin, Sheba,, The Swarbrigs, Tina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

Bucks fizz

The knickers controversy and the song

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I remember seeing River Dance... think I was 9 or 10 and I remember it was a big deal and being very moved by it.

And also this....I remember the camera cutting to each group coming up to the end...it was exciting...we were really hating on Sonia in my house lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Eurovision Song Contest 1986: Sandra Kim sings "J'aime La Vie"

My 16 year old self was routing for her to win that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Kim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Clodagh Rodgers, Jack in the Box, 1971 - I recall the the death threats she received from Sinn Fein-IRA, but mainly her gorgeous legs.

Not a memory but Sandie Shaw later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

All Kinds of Everything

remind me of Eurovision.

The pride that night, first time I felt national pride 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm an old fart. My memories of it mostly involve almost every song being staggeringly sh*t Apart from Abba, of course.

Probably my most abiding memory is one of being at a Eurovision party in the house of two gay friends (the LGBT community think the Eurovision is the greatest thing ever). A lot of drink was taken and I bashed my ankle off the corner of a wooden table dancing. I was crippled for the rest of the **** week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The earliest I remember was 1979 when Cathal Dunne represented Ireland with "Happy Man".

Years later I saw this clip on "Couched" (late 90s Network 2 sketch show) and I nearly choked myself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

probably this pop earworm, how everyone joined in energetically, and she does the last chorus in svenska

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Two things I recall about Catholic Dunne. He was a nephew of former Taoiseach Jack Lynch, and after his performance whoever was then hosting in RTE said “Well done, Cathal Dunne!”

If anyone remembers the Wombles as the 1974 Eurovision interval act … it wasn't a hallucination (induced by sugar, booze or something stronger!)… on BBC4 now in the replay of the entire contest.

• Pigeons in Flight by John Suttleworth, despite his valiant efforts, was rejected as UK entry.

There was no escaping this back in the day

The self important asshat never shuts up about his songs

Something very creepy about him

Ive just reminded myself that I was brought up in the UK , all my memories are english winners

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

My Earliest memory is the year Johnny Logan won it with Hold me now. I was watching it ( read - had no choice) with my 2 older sisters. I remember them going ApeSh*t everytime Ireland got 'douze points'. To be fair at that point the voting was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

Riverdance Johnny Logan singing pat Kenny was a young presenter when it was held in Ireland Eurovision was a big deal in the 80s before mtv existed and we only.had rte bbc itv if you had cable tv

Or put a big aerial on the roof to get uk tv

• Advertisement

In 2004 when Chris Doran was on You're a Star.

We were all talking about it.

I had the a thing for Jean Elliott.

Needless to say we didn't win the Eurovision but Wild Dancers was a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I only watched bits of the Eurovision for Terry Wogan's quips and haven't watched it since he died. It must be about sixty years since I first walked past a TV when the Eurovision was on. 😛

Graham Norton's quips are very good too on BBC1 if you're thinking of venturing back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RINO87

There's a Mill Street in our hometown, and we had sheds/lock ups on it. The auld fella had me convinced that's where the eurovision was coming from in 93!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He was only ever funny in Father Ted. I did try listening to him when he took over the Eurovision commentary and gave up, he must have been trying too hard. 😛

I think he has toned it down since then, but still witty… maybe it helps I am usually watching the show accompanied by a glass of something. One year it was even a bottle of Graham Norton's wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I remember when it used to be an actual song contest unlike the freakshow and circus it has now become. I actually could sing along with most of the songs from way back unlike the screeching and screaming we get now. Songs like Waterloo, Kisses for Me and What's Another Year wouldn't win now as it has turned into a screaming match with silly costumed 'artistes' getting the votes and countries voting for their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hallaz

I remember the stage in 1988 with its criss cross lines, thinking it was the best stage ever.

I got to go to the pre recorded show in 1995 (in case anything went wrong with the live version) and we were to told to arrive in shirt and tie or we might not get in! When my daughter who loves it is older i hope to go to the real one.

For about 10 years we used to host a party where we would cook the food from the host nation, i'd do about 7 dishes, start shopping/preparing on Friday go to bed about 2am and be up about 7 to start cooking, discovered some great meals and still cook some today. We had people from Germany, Italy, Ireland and Japan over and it was a great reason for a get together with friends but everyone started having kids and numbers got to big to host but hopefully it can start up again.

Random eurovision songs have stuck in my mind, 2005 song Walters and Kazha - The War is Not Over is one that always gets an airing at eurovision. The "gimmick" back then was they did some sign language

Post edited by Hallaz on

@Hallaz

I occasionally give a listen to that as well.

I enjoyed the 2005 Eurovision.

My number one is one of my favorite winners.

It was also the year we sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Suppose winning the contest 3 years in a row and Riverdance. And the level of production that RTÉ put into each of the productions that they did, I vaguly remember 1988s show. And after that its deterioration into what it has become. (Prob shouldn't say this but from watching the voting last night I found show to exemplify what it has become since the 1990s, though that is not to say that prior to 2000s there weren't strange and bizarre Eurovisions, on top of the numerous recaps and the hellos from the voting juries, I wish they'd go back to the old format, say hello and give us the results without a fuss), I honestly thought Eurovision had turned a corner in 2021.

Anyway I am Eurovision'd out can't see myself returning to the competition ever again.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Advertisement